Home | About | Donate

University of Washington Becomes Leader in Divestment Movement, Votes to Cease Holdings in Coal Companies

University of Washington Becomes Leader in Divestment Movement, Votes to Cease Holdings in Coal Companies

Divest UW

WASHINGTON - On May 14th, the University of Washington’s Board of Regents voted “Yes” to divesting from thermal coal, making the UW the largest university to take this important step. To UW students, this decision puts the University on the right side of history--in line with its own sustainability standards and no longer investing in companies whose business models are incompatible with a safe future. Carly Marshall, a NASA Space Grant Scholar, said, “I’m proud of our school. The “Yes” for coal divestment makes the UW a leader in the moral fight of our generation.”

###

Congratulations, UW! I'm glad to see that students at my old school continue to organize for justice and environmental safety. I wish you luck as you continue to fight the people who think greed trumps community. I was ASUW President from 1973-74 or thereabouts, and we had a tradition of making people uncomfortable even then. So I know getting the Board of Regents to do the right thing must have taken amazing amounts of hard work. --Kes (aka Cassandra)