Home | About | Donate

Unjust Public Policies Drive the Massive Racial Wealth Gap in America: Study

Unjust Public Policies Drive the Massive Racial Wealth Gap in America: Study

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

The yawning racial wealth gap in the United States is no accident, but rather, driven by unjust public policy decisions—from the re-segregation of education to the redlining of home ownership to poverty wages, according to a new analysis by Brandeis University and the public policy organization Demos.

Wealth corrupts. Absolute/monopoly wealth corrupts absolutely. De regulation kills Privatization is theft of commons. Voodoo economics and its witch doctors are criminals. The real terrorists are on Wall Street. The MIC and fascism are the reality we are. If a god created all this, then god is Frankenstein.

With the rich parasites sucking more than ever, they shouldn't be surprised when the guillotine removes their head.
Bastille day needs to be a universal celebration.

When the psycho-rich lose their head, all go to bed warm and well fed.

Relying on median wealth as based on race only further skews the issues. (Try the same formula based on, for example, gender, and you'll reach a different conclusion.) Nealy all of the super-rich are white, and they have unprecedented wealth.However, the majority of our desperately poor are white. The fact that post-Clinton liberals have written them out of the discussion entirely does not mean that they don't exist. I do understand that white people feel more secure by ignoring white poverty.

We have severe poverty today because of the political/policy choices made by our middle class, from Reagan's deregulation mania to Clinton ending actual welfare aid, cutting the rungs off the ladder out of poverty. In the real world, not everyone can work (health, etc.), and there aren't jobs for all who urgently need one. We've been transitioning to low wage jobs for years, and most low wage workers are a single job loss from losing everything. You can't get a job once you no longer have a home address, phone, bus fare. You're just out. What do you think happens to these people? Who knows, since libs have ignored this issue for years?

We're segregated by class in America, obviously. You.live where you can afford to live, if you can still afford a place to live. From there, we're further segregated by race, by choice. America's greatest divide is between the poor and middle class.

On race and class, policies are very powerfully influenced by public attitudes. We call poor black people "disadvantaged," and poor white people "white trash," and treat them accordingly. Much work has gone into pitting the poor against each other by race, and that's a problem.

I think it's all part of a trend, which is to get those without to focus on competing with one another (sorted into groups, whether by race, geography, religion, or something else).
A hundred years ago, movements were underway that sorted based on class solidarity -- there are some encouraging glimmers of this happening now, but as long as we're stuck in the mindset of competition, and adherence to the illusion that everyone has equal opportunities (and, consequently, those on the losing end deserve what they get), I don't have a lot of hope.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I don't think there's a group meeting in an underground bunker deciding this stuff, but I think keeping security/cohesion low and precarity/desperation high clearly helps those at the top, as it keeps those not at the top fighing over their scraps, instead of banding together to demand more.
One encouraging sign I've seen the past year or two is more serious consideration of some sort of citizen's dividend or basic income scheme. It might be that the situation is getting dire enough that those with power will throw some scraps to the masses in order to keep the peace.

Years ago, Newt Gingrich gave a series of lectures in which he pointed out that the only way to bring the "Reagan Revolution" to fruition was to first deeply divide the poor and middle class, pitting them against each other. Each time in the past that the richest few gained too much power, the poor and middle class ultimately united to push back, to everyone's benefit. That can't happen this time. The proverbial masses have been deeply divided, middle class vs. the poor, in large part via the media marketed to libs. Not a grand conspiracy, but an organized political agenda. While masses of the poor, and those who get why unrelieved poverty is sinking the country, voted for Obama in hopes that this could change, it didn't work out that way. The 2014 elections reflected the results.