Home | About | Donate

'Unprecedented Abuse of Emergency Powers': Free Speech Advocates Denounce Trump Effort to Ban TikTok, WeChat Apps

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/18/unprecedented-abuse-emergency-powers-free-speech-advocates-denounce-trump-effort-ban

Those dirty Chinese commies maliciously collecting American citizens data. That’s the U.S government’s job.

4 Likes

I am sure some jr. hi students will find a way aroundit.

3 Likes

I had to look it up. No clue what it is and now i wish i hadn’t. Just more rubbish social media:

~https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-tiktok/

Think i’ll give weechat a miss too.
OMGodzilla.

1 Like

I suspect this banning of tic too has something to do with members punking the Tulsa Juneteenth gig giving the appearance of a uuuge wannabe audience that led to a 6200 people attendance in a 19000 capacity arena ,how embarrassing, now they will pay ~https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/after-trump-rally-falls-flat-tiktok-teens-take-victory-lap-n1231675

3 Likes

Since we are supposed to be a free country we should allow the web version of TikTok.

Nobody should install Chinese apps on mobile phones or any computers since a new law came out about a year or two ago allowing the Chinese government to demand any and all information from Chinese companies and citizens.

That crosses a line so important that I think its nuts to install any software from any country that does that.

China has particularly severe issues given the pervasive way they have always tried to control peoples thoughts. (the US is hardly innocent in this area either)

I feel that with the increased dependence people are forced to put on the Internet, that also gives governments and corporations (and people) a hightened moral and legal responsibility to not take unfair advantage of it.

You could be onto sonething there. I suppose it does have some merits.

Hi wearynwary:
But LOL, lots of young voters love TikTok-----and stupid Trump is angry that they foiled his Oklahoma Dumb Trump Event---- Trump is merely taking his regular style of revenge trying to punish people for using their brains---- GUESS WHAT, Trump—in one fell swoop, you just LOST THE YOUTH VOTE! Besides HUMOR “trumps” dictators every time. : )

2 Likes

Well if gathering data by these platforms is the reason, then we can assume Google, Microsoft, Facebook, CIA, NSA will be made illegal here in the US as well, correct?

4 Likes

Don’t forget whatsapp. (And i’m a bit skeptical about youtube as well.) :))

1 Like

I’m not an “app” guy, so I’m sure I missed many of them.

2 Likes

You didn’t miss one thing. The best tshirt expression i have seen said " no! I don’t do fucking facebook".

2 Likes

HaHa, I could wear that honestly, I’ve never been on facebook in my life. I’ve never used Amazon either.

Yeah, I don’t know what it is (probably because I don’t do Facebook or Twitter), but I’m pretty sure I don’t need it.

1 Like

Where can I get one?!?

Me neither.

1 Like

It was a Spaniard on a beach in Portugal about 7 years ago. The minute i saw i it i said “i want one”. I supppse you’ll have to get one made in one of those shops which personalize tshirts. (Get a few made and start a business.)

1 Like

And for those who want an open source, fully degoogled mobile OS where they can still download and use WeChat and Tiktok, have a look at e.foundation

I get the free speech issues and am very glad to know that this issue is in their sights. But whereTF are the 'Free Market" folks? How does letting the president pick and choose which businesses are allowed to operate fit with that? I haven’t heard the libertarians screaming about this. Maybe I missed it because I don’t go to where they go for info, but I think I would have gotten a whiff of that, if it existed.

The “free market” thing only works in one direction. It was liberal in the mid- to late 18th century when the kings granted monopolies to their favored guilds (omitting a mountain of details). But once the factory owners wrested political power from the remains of the feudal aristocracy over the course of the 19th century, it was never more than a fig leaf to justify the consolidation of that power in the trusts and holding companies of the Gilded Age. Their excesses led to the Great Depression, which enabled the labor movement to siphon some power away from the capitalists. But the “World War Part 2” left the capitalists in the US in charge of the global economy (again leaving out a lot of critical details), and despite their protestations, no businessperson wants competition. Thus Global Megacorp, which is now in the process of the final consolidation.

1 Like