Home | About | Donate

'Unreal & Heartbreaking': Experts Highlight Climate Crisis Connection as Category 5 Hurricane Iota Barrels Toward Central America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/16/unreal-heartbreaking-experts-highlight-climate-crisis-connection-category-5

6 Likes

I grew up with water stains on the family furniture from a Cat 4 (Carla) and have slept through a backside (after the eye passes) tornado of another Cat 4 (Alicia) that ripped the roof off the house that my father and I were defending not but two miles from the Carla house. And my father had a good job, although, he had to not only reconstruct our (Carla) home by nights and weekends, he also had to reconstruct his lab once the building was reconstructed by day. There were no Home Depots nor Lowes, etc., back in the day. These Central Americans are the Innocents. I have been through so many tropical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes, that I can never remember them all at one time when someone asks me, but I have been able to overcome them with the privilege of good opportunities. We saw here in the US what Katrina wrought to those of lesser fortune. Such is writ globally. Morally, we are demanded to react. Of this I know through many experiences. It’s hard enough when you don’t lose everything, but too many do, and for them I cry.

9 Likes

“ Energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be changed from one form to another.” (Albert Einstein ).

Iota breaks so many records it starts to seem like we’re talking baseball statistics: latest-forming Atlantic cat 5, two weeks after Eta, in nearly the same place, to be followed shortly by Kappa (set to sprout spontaneously out of the Gulf, next to Costa Rica). Needless to say, this is beyond weird – well past those “worst effects of climate change” which are perpetually ten years off.

Jeff Masters (at Yale Climate Connections, where he hangs out these days) says the good thing about striking this corner of Nicaragua is few enough folks live there they were able to evacuate safely two weeks ago, with only two killed.

and yet almost every government in the world is doing nothing to actually address this crisis( other than make speeches and declarations that in the end amount to a massive gas lighting of the people of this world)–and now we have the 2cd administration that ran on a platform of doing nothing to address this crisis(I will not ban fracking Joe)this is NOT leadership —this is the ship of fools working overtime for their bribers from industry–the ones causing the crisis --the ones destroying the planet --they do this for their profits–a truly insane act-done by criminally insane people

5 Likes

Some good news:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/16/eu-plans-increase-offshore-windfarm-capacity

After ten years of punishing drought in Central America that has led to farms and economies failing, and along with that the rise of brutal American backed mafia states, there was the predictable refugee crisis that we witness every day on our southern border.
And now a summer of relentless storms and biblical flooding.
The refugee crisis that is forming in the already too warm equatorial regions of the world are already destabilizing nations. The predictable wars for land, food. and water will follow. The USA has always benefitted from our location that has seemingly protected us from the international fray. We are protected by two oceans and share borders with only two nations, both relatively stabile. However, Mexico is now facing not only their own droughts and the subsequent economic problems, but are facing the brunt of a refugee crisis from central and South America that will soon matriculate to the US.
The USA, no matter who the leading political party is, is now facing a choice. We could stop destabilizing central and South America and go all in on a hemispheric effort to alleviate global warming, or we could build a giant wall around the USA. If I know my fellow Americans, I’m putting all my money on the latter.

1 Like

The closest I’ve come is a tornado that touched down for an instant in the next street over. Uprooted and killed several trees, and ripped off pieces of 2-3 roofs, but thankfully nothing worse. That was the closest I ever want to come, too.

I live in Florida, so here hurricanes are just a part of life. IMHO Federal Flood insurance is one of the biggest ecological disasters to hit the US - before that, people rarely built anything other than disposable vacation cottages on wetlands or on the coast.You don’t build in swamps or on the water unless its capable of handling a storm.

3 Likes

Funny story. A couple years ago I was at a clients house in Uniontown PA when our phones and the households TVs all lit up with tornado warnings. I then looked out the front window and saw garbage cans flying down the street. While I headed for their basement door I saw the husband and wife open their front door and walk out on to their porch to gawk at a tornado that was just two blocks over.
I couldn’t make this stuff up.

1 Like

Reminiscent of the pictures of tourists in Thailand standing on the beach watching the tsunami wave approach.

Foreign Affairs has risk assessment highlighted in their November/December issue, including a very good article on climate change itself by Michael Oppenheimer of Princeton University.

Human psychology is investigated in several of the other articles.

Mostly I am glad to see the increasing awareness in mainstream circles - it is slightly encouraging.

~https://www.foreignaffairs.com/issues/2020/99/6

It’s probably worth quoting Oppenheimer’s last paragraph:

“The bottom line is that few if any countries are sufficiently prepared to deal with what is in store. A yawning gap has opened up between what they know about the risks of climate change and what they are doing to reduce them. In the riskier new era of climate change, the longer countries take to close that gap, the more painful and deadly the outcome.”

1 Like

The National Hurricane Center used to lay people off between November 30 and June 1 because there was no such thing as an offseason hurricane. There was no threat during the offseason.

Off-season Atlantic hurricanes don’t seem to be much more common than they have been in the past - 6 during the 1800s, 10 during the 1900s and 3 so far this century. Maybe more tropical storms, but hard to say since record keeping was pretty sparse. That’s not to say the ones IN SEASON aren’t more severe, just that off season storms don’t appear to be more frequent. *ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_off-season_Atlantic_hurricanes

That kind of behavior is regarded as an artifact of movies and tv. We see horrible events portrayed while knowing that they won’t affect us. Later, when it’s a real horrible event, we have a hard time accepting that this time it’s real.

Traditional Jamaican aide memoire about hurricanes:

June too soon, July stand by, August you must, September remember, October all over

Probably being revised these days.

If it is not impacting America then it is a devastation on “other people”. Fiddling about as weather events transpire that should be a warning, a verification, of the approaching irreversible weather disasters that will define the future of humankind.

1 Like

Industrial Civilization is releasing the equivalent heat of 400,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs into the global atmosphere every day. Every day! No wonder nonlinear, destabilizing climate change is ramping up at an unraveling pace.

3 Likes

Yes, even when they (strong hurricanes) are spread out over years, it wears you down psychologically. I suspect those in areas hit twice in a matter of weeks, Lake Charles, LA. and this area of Central America, will have large numbers of PTSD cases.

2 Likes

This makes sense and as the article says, could save lives:

~https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2020/11/12/revolutionising-cyclone-forecasting-for-small-islands