Home | About | Donate

Unsealed Database Reveals How Drug Companies Embarked on 'Reckless Pursuit of Profit' as Thousands Died From Opioid Epidemic

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/17/unsealed-database-reveals-how-drug-companies-embarked-reckless-pursuit-profit

The more familiar Steppenwolf version over Hoyt Axton’s original.

1 Like

If we had truly universal health care would so many be in such pain that they would need such drugs? I wonder…I know for me it would have made all the difference in the world. These two popular pain killers gave me serious side effects, much as drugs in general, such as my breathing slowing to a stop so I was “fortunate” to not be able to use them and avoid addiction. When someone is in pain, serious pain, it is easy to see how one can get addicted.

To exploit such suffering is unconscionable to say the least.

1 Like

The Friedman Doctrine, which many on the right consider gospel, holds that the ONLY responsibility of a corporation, beyond operating legally, is to show a profit for its shareholders.
So contrary to personal citizenship, corporate citizenship, promoted by the same people and now Law of the Land, carries no responsibilities beyond that. What is the point of citizenship and its rights and protections being settled on entities that have no duties toward the whole community?
If people die using their product, they should have used more restraint in its use.

1 Like

I’m not sure universal healthcare would have much of a effect on this problem. There are many like yourself who need these meds, but many more are using them for the high, and the ability to beat drug testing within hours of use. I would blame keeping marijuana illegal, as a bigger cause. Many people moved to prescription meds, from weed because it’s detectable for up to 3 mo. after use (depending on what type of test is used), causing them to fail tests at work, or for employment hiring. Now this doesn’t account for all of the abuse for sure, but I do believe it’s a factor.
By the way, if you live in a med. marijuana or rec. marijuana state, check into the studies done in Maine. They started using weed to wean people off of oxy related drugs, and discovered that people with legitimate pain problems, had great success reducing their intake of hard drugs by mixing them with weed, with the same pain level reduction as the full dose of hard man made drugs. If you are a chronic pain patient, it might be worth looking into.

1 Like

True, but the condemning words in you’re post applies to these drug companies…“operating legally”. These companies knew they were supplying addicts, not just patients, who need relief from pain.

Agreed on exploiting the suffering but all this will do is cause pain patients to be forced to live without the medications they need to live somewhat comfortable and function in daily life. Many will use street drugs with unknown potency and purity and die from overdoses that way. Look, the solution is to let adults take responsibility for their pain control or even recreation and let government assure a safe product. Quit trying to legislate morality you fucking Christians. Just look at the map provided for a perfectly clear picture of what’s going on here. The greatest number of overdoses are occurring in the most poverty stricken areas of the nation. These people aren’t seeking relief from physical pain, they are trying to escape the living hell capitalism has imposed on them. Wake the fuck up. It’s not the drug company’s fault it’s the fault of our greed is best society.

1 Like

I don’t think we can make any assumptions on drug use, abuse, regulation, deregulation, how government officials, nor government legislators will act. It’s all a mystery, including the complete ignoring of the people who need these drugs either temporarily for acute pain, or long term use due to the plethora of chronic pain issues
I hate the generalizations about drug use. Everyone is different, or can be.
At one time or another I gave up long term use, cold turkey, of alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, and a laundry list of illegal drugs and legal ones. Including ditching my “works” after a close call with some bad coke. All I do any more is have an occasional brandy and cola, and a toke or two sometime in the evening. Oh and lately a few mg’s of Melatonin.
I’m like Dustin Hoffman in “Little big man”. Phase after phase after phase. And my wife put up with that for 45 years and counting. She is straight by the way except for the little bit of morphine they still let her have.