Home | About | Donate

Urging Democrats To Go Bold, Warren Says 'The Next Step Is Single Payer'

Urging Democrats To Go Bold, Warren Says 'The Next Step Is Single Payer'

Julia Conley, staff writer

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts is calling on Democrats to embrace a single-payer healthcare system in order to win back Congress and the White House in upcoming elections.

Warren argued that simply blocking the Republican rollback of the Affordable Care Act, also called Obamacare, is not enough to distinguish Democrats from their GOP counterparts in the minds of voters.

The next step is Warren running for President in 2020. Once in the White House, she'll backpedal on single payer or any public option (just as Obamacon did) and we'll be back to business as usual with the insurance industry writing "health care" legislation and all of us paying the price.

Obama Care was never supposed to be a First Step, it was supposed to be the Roadblock that Kept on Giving.

Go Liz! What took so long?

Spare us okay jamb? We all know the risk of politicians reversing their promises but you don't believe in anybody ever! Warren shows her mettle by walking the walk she usually does. Not perfect of course but well worthy of a little respect from all of us. It is easy to carp when you do it about everybody! Warren has traveled her own road and the fact remains that we could use her as president!

I love the idea! President Warren! In fact it is an exciting and welcome prospect as compared to Trump!

Obamacare was indeed a "first step"...in the opposite direction from single payer.

This week Rand Paul is asking those interviewing him why we need insurance companies as middlemen. That should be the question splashed across headlines across Murka.

Paul also says "there is no reason everybody can't be insured for a dollar per day per person".

Hell, I am on Medicare and I pay well over $10 per day in premiums. Its a big part of my budget, so I am willing to sponsor four Murkins who can't even afford a dollar a day since that would still cut my premium costs 50%.

Exactly why I support Tulsi Gabbard and hope she runs for US president and wins.

Warren has never mentioned our atrocities outside the borders and supports a religious state in Israel. I support Tulsi Gabbard as the first woman president for these two reasons and more.

I will consider changing my mind if I ever hear Elizabeth Warren say these words along with Tulsi Gabbard; "End regime change wars."

The next step should be getting healthcare cost down.

Getting the money out of politics and/or getting the corporation out of our media should be top priority.
We cannot get the progressive word out when large groups can buy all kinds of ads across the country and put nationwide on our TV sets which sets up our media working against us.

"Last year, the corporate media handed Donald Trump $5 billion of free media - and a legitimizing megaphone - with endless wall-to-wall coverage of the toxic Trump spectacle."

Why? For profit.

Les Moonves, the chairman and chief executive of CBS, couldn’t contain his glee when he said of Trump: "It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS. The money's rolling in. This is fun."

Bad for democracy. Bad for America. Bad for the world. But damn good for profits.

Independent journalism and democracy itself have never been more fragile, more at risk than now.
Support Common Dreams.

And only oppose torture and atrocities when the US is doing it...

BTW, this weird notion that the US is, or ever was, intending to overthrow the Assad government is a myth right up there with the remote control airliners on Sept. 2001. Assad has always been a useful stooge of US foreign polity - the US sent thousands of people to him to be tortured over the years. But even if the US was attempting "regime change", I really could not get too indignant about it... Would you have opposed the US intervening to depose, say, Suharto in Indonesia?

Tulsi Gabbard is a tin-foil-hat-style, crypto-Trumpist so-called "leftist".

The next step is getting a strong left-progressive Democrat majority in Congress in 2018 and 2020. Any national universal healthcare effort is completely impossible until that happens - it will still be difficult after that happens too.

Respectfully, I think you (and some other posters) are missing the point.

The question is not whether you can trust Warren. You can't.

The question is whether we can build enough independent power to make her - or anyone else's - inevitable backpedaling political suicide.

Politics is about power. It isn't about finding honest, morally upstanding leaders to elect. It isn't a spectator sport.

Universal care will not happen unless regular, everyday people - patients and med students and doctors and nurses' unions and small businesspersons - make it happen. That's the fight right now in California, and it will be the fight at the national level, one way or another. The Democratic Party is practically run by lobbyists, the economic and political system is dominated by people who profit from suffering, and neither will give an inch unless they are forced to.

Given that, if Warren wants to talk up single-payer, if she wants to help us paint a bold vision of the future we could have to contrast with the present we are made to endure, I will gladly cheer her on.

Single-payer/Medicare-for-all, yes, certainly, we the people are all for that. But, you see, I live in California, a deeply Democrat-run state and... the Democratic state senate leader just killed our much-touted supposed movement towards getting a single-payer bill passed in California. The Democratic leader is making up pitiful excuses about how the bill is "very expensive" and has no "mechanism" for financing. That's baloney covering over the insurance companies twisting his and other Democrats' arms behind their backs in our pay-to-play political system. What is "very expensive" is people dying for lack of decent health care. And people signing away their lives to debt so as to pay for health care to avoid death or dismemberment. Do California Democrats first loudly tout, then quietly kill single-payer because that's good for politics--keeps voters hoping the Dems will do it just around the corner--or because they want to do right, but then just can't refuse the guys in suits behind the scenes who spell out for them what it will mean for their political careers to actually vote against big insurance? I remember when Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger was California Governator with, as usual, Democrats in control of the state legislature: funny how then the Democrats in the legislature managed to send single-payer bills to the governor's desk two times--which made for great political play when Arnold dutifully refused to sign the bills and the Democrats could claim they valiantly did all they could to make single-payer happen. But now that a Democrat is the governor, and Democrats are even more in control of the legislature, the single-payer bill can't seem to get to his desk. While pretending to care about people's health, these Democrats employ the very language of the enemies of the people, as if objectively confirming that single-payer is, in fact, a nice but just impractical and unrealistic idea for this society. Politicians like this do not enable positive change; they maintain a killing status quo.

Until there is reform within the Dem party to eliminate the subversion/corruption of politicians by big-money and corporate influences (campaign-contribution bribes by the insurance and pharmaceutical industries, among others) there will not be the unity or integrity to win such a fight. Witness the Dem corporate whore in CA who derailed their efforts toward single-payer! With corporate tools and corruption controlling both parties the deck is stacked......................

Exactly. People here confuse electoral politics with activism.

What you say reminds me of what a friend said to me and a few others as we were discussing a new San Francisco mayor and where his heart might really lie. My friend suggested that we needed to stop focusing on the politician and turn our discussion to people's democratic movements. So, yes, I'll cheer this senator for her words, too, but what's more important is for us to follow and participate in the grassroots-based organizing. Forums like this, which can open up clearer understanding of how political change can happen, can be part of that organizing. I've called my state legislators on this single-payer issue, but I realize I need to do more within my teachers union to see how we are strategizing to make this happen. You're so right about politics being about power. The fundamental divide is the power of money versus the power of people.

I like Gabbard as well but do you think she will run? If she doesn't run then spare us the purity politics in this desperate time of Trump! It does no one any good to work against whomever the (eventual) Trump opponent will be especially considering the damage Trump does! Warren is not perfect but she is very intelligent and a good person. You want her to fit an agenda of yours to the exclusion of everything else. That is divisive purity politics and such stuff is why Trump could win!

First things, first. There will be no single payer healthcare until we get rid of money in politics and reform our corrupt, pay-to-play, two party system. Until then, anything that does not make a profit for industry has no political leverage. You may get a few Dems like Warren to say it, but she's still very much a minority in the party and she knows darn well how money talks. Very easy for her to talk single payer, now, but what happens when the doors are open and it's time to deliver? Remember Obama, when given the opportunity to go single payer saying that he opposed anything that did not make a profit for the insurance companies? Obamacare was a partnership with the insurance industry, first, and a health care system for citizens, second. Our current political system never puts people, first.

How many left-progressives are there in Congress now? About two in the Senate and may be a few more in the House? Difficult is an understatement. If there is anything the Republicans are going to fight against all the way it is single-payer healthcare. Maybe it will happen but I would guess not before 2060 or something like that. It took at least four decades to get Obamacare and the Republicans are trying to repeal it. That is their number one goal.