Home | About | Donate

US Army Tweet Inadvertently Reveals 'Real, Painful, and Horrifying Human Costs of War

US Army Tweet Inadvertently Reveals 'Real, Painful, and Horrifying Human Costs of War

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The U.S. Army may have gotten more than it bargained for when it recently asked on Twitter, "How has serving impacting you?"

The question, posed just before the nation officially marks Memorial Day, brought attention to "the real, painful, and horrifying human costs of war," said advocacy group Win Without War.

4 Likes

What a fitting memorial this article is! Veterans For Peace, and Win Without War… I love you people!

18 Likes

Yeah, but when someone comes over to you at McDonald’s to shake your hand and say, “Thank you for your service,” that makes it all worth while.

5 Likes

"There are people who profit from war, mainly those who invest in the defense industry or possibly the oil sector.

Make no mistake, the military is the worlds largest polluter and user of oil and it’s products. Stopping war, down sizing the military would vastly improve the climate and it’s future over night!

19 Likes

Caitlin Johnstone compiled a list some of the most heartbreaking replies to that tweet. She said there were over 5 thousand replies at the time, and now there are 10 thousand. I hope it goes viral, if it hasn’t already.

10 Likes

“How has serving impacting you?” The army can’t even keep its tenses straight.

8 Likes

brothers and sisters in VFP let 'em have it.
It was glorious.

6 Likes

The local chapter of VFP marks Memorial Day weekend with a mile of markers for each and every soldier lost in both Afghanistan and Iraq since 9/11. Tomorrow morning I shall walk it before the sun rises so that those in the passing cars don’t see me choking back my tears of sympathy and rage, just like in years past. Thank you VFP for helping me better understand the world, even when doing so can be so very painful–nothing like the sacrifice of the fallen soldiers, their families, and their friends, though.

9 Likes

Someone thought this was a casual question.

Imagine that.

10 Likes

I read a lot of these yesterday. If you need a reason to break down, read them, they will break you’re heart.

3 Likes

Yesterday I was checking out at the hardware store when the clerk asked me if I wanted a free flag on a stick. I said, “no thanks, I don’t feel very patriotic these days,” turned on my heal and left while saying, “And I served.”
This morning it dawned on me that this observance isn’t about me or patriotism, it’s about honoring those that gave their lives, willingly or unwillingly. So I got old glory out and have it displayed on the front of my house.

3 Likes

Along those same lines, as someone who served, I happen to see this before the U.S. Women’s National (Soccer) Team played Mexico in an International Friendly match in New Jersey today . . . and I’m not ashamed to admit it choked me up, big time. My Dad and one of my uncles were Marines in WWII.

1 Like

I watched it too and it was beyond touching.

Yes, ZeroHedge just posted the following article by her. She’s usually on top of things:

Army Virtue-Tweet Backfires: 1000s Expose “Heartbreaking” Horrors Of War – May 26, 2019 - Caitlin Johnstone - ZeroHedge

Tweet after tweet after tweet, people used the opportunity that the Army had inadvertently given them to describe how they or their loved one had been chewed up and spit out by a war machine that never cared about them.

This article exists solely to document a few of the things that have been posted in that space, partly to help spread public awareness and partly in case the thread gets deleted in the interests of “national security”. Here’s a sampling in no particular order:

4 Likes

I read out loud about one dozen of the replies to my wife, before I had to stop.

I couldn’t hold back the tears.

5 Likes

Not something a combat vet wants to read very many of either PB.
After reading enough, the flashbacks, or memories started go faster and faster so I quit.
It doesn’t bother me so much because I returned from combat emotionless. Which relates to no personality. Which relates to isolationism, and down from there.

War. A destroyer of much of mankind.

5 Likes

The only “Combat” that I saw, was the black and white TV series with Vic Morrow in the early 60’s, however, I, like many here, have experienced loss, in love, in friends, and in family.

Reading these folks replies about how military service has touched their lives, allowed me to feel what they were describing.

Physical pain, I can handle.

Pain in your heart isn’t something I can deny any longer.

5 Likes

Sounds like you have more empathy than many others have. I consider it a blessing for you and those around you.

3 Likes

Stop the youth from volunteering.
Stop ROTC in K-12 schools.
Write history from the other side.
Twenty-first Century History of Iraq
Twentieth Century History of Vietnam
History of Venezuela
…

4 Likes

Unfortunately, in the US, potential immigrants get a free pass in for joining the army. Sad.

4 Likes