Home | About | Donate

US Bombing Syrian Troops Would Be Illegal

US Bombing Syrian Troops Would Be Illegal

Marjorie Cohn

In an internal “dissent channel cable,” 51 State Department officers called for “targeted military strikes” against the government of Bashar al-Assad in Syria, a proposal that President Barack Obama has thus far resisted. However, were he to accept the cable’s advice, he would risk a dangerous – possibly catastrophic – confrontation with Russia. And, such a use of military force in Syria would violate U.S. and international law.

To Transform Nation, Sanders Urges Movement to Organize its 'Outrage'

I think humanity (most of it) is at the stage where those who want war, commit their lives TO war, produce or profit by weapons should all be sent to Antarctica. Let them fight into oblivion. Heck, most nations would be happy to send them plenty of aid so they can build enough arms to destroy each other.

Then, maybe the rest of humanity can get on with the joys, benefits, and beauty of living!

Lately I've been thinking about the artisans who craft elaborate works in jade, marble, wood, and clay; and about the musicians who have gifted humanity with symphonies and jazz serenades; of the literary greats who pen tales that prove timeless; of the healers, peacemakers, lovers, poets, and visionaries; and of those who tend farms and gardens.

There is so much beauty and goodness in this world.

And no reason why those who want to destroy it all can unleash their dis-ease onto the rest of us.

If these 51 morons want war... send them to Antarctica (unless another continent is willing to volunteer itself?)... and let the rest of humanity find ways to put aside the weapons/arms in order to join hands and work the wonders necessary to turn back the tide of global heating to thereby mitigate all of the calamities associated with this Global Fever.

There are times when you are inspirational and so on target, SR!!

Yes but, but we are an outlaw nation like Israel.

Assad is the legitimate government of Syria ? He is less legitimate than Hitler .. so what ? You going to let Hitler torture and murder ?? Sorry .. either you fight the bad guys or you let them kill innocent people who want freedom .. Bill Clinton would not even help save 800,000 in Rwanda who were murdered with knives ..

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

So let me get it straight Russia bombing with cluster ammunition and phosphorous bombs is ignored, but US involvement is illegal ?

Thank you. I feel so much pain for so many things probably starting with the millions of refugees. I have a very humble home, but every day I give thanks for having it... knowing that so many have been ROBBED of that basic necessity and pleasure.

Americans (most) are accustomed to taking things like a home and food on the table for granted. Between climate chaos and horrific elites and diminishing job prospects, I think more and more people are going to get a crash course in learning to be humble.

Of course, like many, I'd prefer if that particular lesson plan took aim at the 1% tout suite!

Dr. King is right (I believe) that EVENTUALLY the universe arcs towards justice; and that's good news for just persons everywhere.

I would kind of like to see Antartica remain unspoiled . How about put them on Pluto?

Better yet , having seen recent pictures of Pluto , that place to valuable to destroy. They can have Manhattan..

When has the last three presidencies ever worried about American or international law in its war decisions?

► Who are these 51 warriors? Does anyone know?

This is just broken logic. Assad being bad does not make US influence good, or even less bad. Bombing Syria does not mean that it is Assad or ISIS that the US is fighting. The US and the Sauds funded ISIS and others to attempt to destabilize Syria--a successful attempt, eventually. They also invaded Iraq next door, flooding Syria as well as other nearby countries with refugees in a way that Europe has yet to see. The US has then bombed ISIS in Syria and outside of Syria.

It is very easy to bomb bad guys and also kill innocent people who want freedom. It is possible to bomb multiple and oppositional groups of "bad guys" at once and do that, just as the US has been doing throughout all these countries.

But the deepest irony here, Carlos, seems to me that these "bad guys" sound a lot like you. Assad's people say they have to fight ISIS. ISIS' people say they have to fight Assad. the US claims it has to fight "extremism" and "terrorism," though the US is itself the most extreme and terrifying player in the lot.

If you do not want innocent people who want only freedom to suffer--and I believe that is sincere enough--then the first thing for the US would be to stop destabilizing the region.

► I'm with you on that. Suit them up and send them out.

There's way too much intrigue going on in deep gov't.

If the USA invited its allies Canada and Mexico to help oust an armed insurgency inside the USA, Canada and Mexico would be within international law to do so.

But if Japan decided to intervene, without the invitation of the USA, yes, that would be against international law.

If Syria invited its allies Russia and Iran to help oust an armed insurgency inside Syria, Russia and Iran would be within international law to do so.

But if the USA decided to intervene, without the invitation of the Syria, yes, that would be against international law.

Got it straight?

As interesting as this article is, the US doesn't care about rule of law, international laws, sovereignty, etc. Covert ops are in place in Syria right now working with terrorist "rebels" to overthrow Assad and bring about regime change. The US made a mess of Afghanistan, left it in ruin, went on to Iraq, left it in ruins, went on to Libya,left it in ruin ad nauseum. The US has never learned how to rebuild a country, make friends, etc;. but it has been the best at destroying countries, infrastructure, creating massive refugees (then not wanting to help any of them) one decade after another. Powell (a political hack if there ever was one) was absolutely correct when he stated "if we break it, we own it", and the ME has been broken by the US/West and has learned nothing as it has continued to "remake" the entire region into a toxic wasteland--Was that the plan? If it was, it has worked. Look at Yemen. Ukraine.Oh, and our own country. Even this one, our own, has been targeted for "Democratic Change" and one very large toxic wasteland from contaminated water to disgraceful education policies. Exceptional my ass. Wait until Crooked Hillary, Chaos Queen, Neocon Warrior Queen takes over. We ain't seen nothin' yet.

► Israel is a pain in the åss.

Oh, excuse me. Israel is a royal pain in the åss.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you it's a royal pain in the ass because half the Jews in the world live there and the other half live here.

So what do these 51 poor, terrified State Dep't Jews want anyhow?

And while we're at it, there's nothing wrong with being a Palestinian either

I got your argument, Russia can "legally" use cluster bombs in Syria. Lovely.

Hundreds of thousands Syrians killed and millions running away from this regime will be happy to know it is all according to the law.

► What can the moderate opposition use, and who does the moderate opposition belong to?