Home | About | Donate

US Can't Ignore That Climate Crisis Will Force 120 Million People Into Poverty

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/07/us-cant-ignore-climate-crisis-will-force-120-million-people-poverty

2 Likes

It defies reason, but the climate is more easily changeable than human nature.

5 Likes

TPTB are already ignoring that climate crisis is already forcing people into poverty. They have known for decades that the worst consequences of our narcissistic, fossil fuel based economies would befall those in the southern hemisphere. We will not concern ourselves with climate crisis until they land in our own backyard.

TPTB may be oblivious to the fact that climate crisis are happening in our own backyard, but that’s a choice, unsupportable by data. Don’t tell me that the US can’t ignore climate crisis - no matter how many people and places are at risk.

6 Likes

lol oh, they can’t?!

that’s news to them. they’ve done pretty good at ignoring the 50-60 million in their own country so far.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that they can, in fact, ignore 120 million in poverty.

8 Likes

Dear Sir,
Mr. Alston, I cannot thank you enough for all the work you do for us here in the States. I hope you never forget that there are those of who listen, you are not talking into the wind.
Gilbert Satchell

2 Likes

If

top U.N. official, are remarkably out of touch

Imagine how out of touch republicans are, or 3rd Way Centrist Dems?

1 Like

ONLY 120 Million??  That seems like an extremely optimistic number — or is the author talking about only within the United States during the next 15 - 20 years?  “Climate Crisis Will Force NINE To TEN BILLION Into STARVATION” would seem to me to be a much more accurate figure if worldwide num­bers for the next 40 or 50 years are considered.   And of course we’re talking here only about humans, with no regard whatsoever for the million or more other species whom we are dragging into extinction along with ourselves.

3 Likes

Yes, one thing I keep wondering about…with all the climate catastrophes that have occurred in the U.S. …. how many people have now become homeless… I am certain than most of them, could not get back on their feet after loosing their homes… they may not have been able to even fix their homes… or the homes were completely destroyed… even the TOWNS… destroyed. …. sssoooo what are these statistics… anyway… I have researched it a bit… and did not come up with much.

2 Likes

Bingo…

I live in Nebraska, and word is that a lot of places won’t recover anytime soon from the massive flooding in the state.

I haven’t seen estimates of homelessness or anything like that. I doubt anyone cares enough to track something that specifically, since an economist would only care about the total. Interesting question, though.

1 Like

By withdrawing from the Paris agreement, the most promising (if inadequate) step in addressing climate change, the U.S. has ceded a leadership role on this issue and remained mired in denialism that every other country has put to rest.

Inadequate is an understatement. If signing a non-binding, unenforceable, all voluntary accord (and the Obama contingent worked hard to keep it that way) is the best this country can do in what is now an emergency, we are well and truly screwed. And to those who claim that the Paris Accord is a good first step, this makes good first step number ___ ? We are now at a point where talk isn’t just cheap, it’s fatal unless backed up by immediate action.

2 Likes

That is clearly where we are at LadyK. Those that can make a difference are nowhere to be found.
To put a little icing on their cake, TPTB make things worse instead of better. Means testing, poll tax tactics, drug testing to receive workman’s comp or unemployment, and stripping food assistance to the needy and homeless. What a country.

2 Likes

Finland took an interesting approach to homelessness to the point where it all but eliminated. It was not Private Industry that ended it. It was Government action.

This part is key from the article.

And there, the Finnish capital is fortunate. Helsinki owns 60,000 social housing units; one in seven residents live in city-owned housing. It also owns 70% of the land within the city limits, runs its own construction company, and has a current target of building 7,000 more new homes – of all categories – a year.

In each new district, the city maintains a strict housing mix to limit social segregation: 25% social housing, 30% subsidised purchase, and 45% private sector. Helsinki also insists on no visible external differences between private and public housing stock, and sets no maximum income ceiling on its social housing tenants.

In Helsinki the CITY owns land and the Social housing units. Added to that the city dictates that in any neighborhood , the same distribution of housing remains. None of that “we do not want poor people in our neighborhood as it lowers property values”.

One problem here in Vancouver is that Vancouver proper and other communities like North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Burnaby have little to no low income housing while at the same time a number of jobs in those regions are low paying jobs. This means the people that work those Jobs commute from hours away. The City is then concerned about all the added traffic proposing billions in new bridges and the like to relieve congestion .This is short sighted.

2 Likes

I think you’re right, the hurricane Katrina rebuild might end up being the last great one after a natural disaster. That one was done largely with donated labor and sometimes material from around the country.
Too many people around the country didn’t get the memo as to what the insurance industry did in the aftermath of that storm. The short story is, many of them sent their adjusters in to flat out deny claims, this happens after every major storm, but nothing like the scale we saw after Katrina. It took years for many homeowners to get relief through the courts, and for many that relief was no where what the policy holders were due. Had the towns not been rebuilt with donated materials and labor, many would still be homeless today. If PR is any indication, I fear this will be the model used for natural disaster areas in the future. A virtual “your on your own folks”, that now seems to encompass our governments response also.

1 Like

YES it does!
They will probably handle it the way they have been handling Climate Crisis predictions for years, That is, escalation of the depths of the problems each time a new report comes out. So 6 months from now that 120 mil will become 300mil then 80 months after that… etc

The politically correct way to think about this according to conservative think tanks is to blame the impoverished for being stupid, lazy, making bad decisions and being bred from inferior genes. So, there’s no way that climate change could possibly have anything to do with them becoming impoverished. Its not that they are ignoring how climate change will impoverish millions of people. Rather, they have explained it away such that they can blame the victims and keep their own conscience at ease.

1 Like

Should that read 120 million MORE people forced into poverty? There are already 120 million US citizens living at or within spitting distance of the poverty line at present. Now, let’s count how many of the lower 1/3 of the population have seats in Congress or on the boards of corporations…well, that was easy. Until capitalism is seen as the enemy of the people that it is, the planet is doomed.

This is a description for health care so why not for all government services. Wouldn’t it be great if the Defense Department had to start a Kickstarter before they could go to war?