Home | About | Donate

US Congress Calls for Action on Honduras in Response to Murders of Land and Environmental Activists

US Congress Calls for Action on Honduras in Response to Murders of Land and Environmental Activists

Ben Leather

In two strongly worded letters to the new Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, almost 80 United States legislators on Friday expressed their grave concern at the risks facing activists who defend their land and the environment in Honduras.

I would like to commend these reps but in today's climate of human rights abuses at home and environmental degradation and removal of regulation, what can we hope for? not much.

Now, it would appear that the War Hawks in Congress think they have an open checkbook for starting military agression anywhere they see fit.

After last week's assault on Syria by United States cruise missiles, I had floated the idea that all Democrats and Independents in both houses of Congress, submit a formal request to the White House as well as the Joint Chiefs, to seek Congressional approval 'before' United States Military is used to assault a country which poses no threat to the United States.

A warning to the White House and Joint Chiefs that if congressional approval was not given and a military strike was conducted, the extreme possibility of charges of War Crimes could be leveled at the President and his Generals.

Nothing from the Democrats.

What will it take for us to be represented by a group of politicians with spines?

Unfortunately, our pols have plenty of 'spine' when it comes to defying the will of the people.

The representative signers link comes up blank for me.

There is such a thing as 'Recall Elections.'

This is not a valid law in all states, however, if enough people 'demanded' the recall of their 'do nothing' Representatives and Senators, the people of this nation might coalesce around a movement to 'Throw the Bums Out' on a national level.

Oh the irony and tragedy of the first sentence in the piece.

Never forget Clinton's (and US Foreign Policy) role in this mess.

All a little too late Democrats; where were you in 2012?

Me too. Hope this helps:

http://mcgovern.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=396999

The same goes for this:

Thanks for posting.
Ms Clinton's bloody fingerprints are all over the current problems in Honduras.

The word politician is the same as spineless. I am ashamed of our government bought by corporations.

kajsa52: "All a little too late Democrats; where were you in 2012?"

That was my first reaction to this article. In fact, where have they been since the 2009 coup, when US aid to the Honduran military continued without skipping a beat.

This is such hipocricy...Where were these 80 protestors when Hillary arranged the Coup that set up the fascist government in Honduras? Berta Caceres fingered Hillary as the culprit and the cause of her own impending death. The Hillary installed government has been regularly killing off indigenous people and stealing their land. Now, Hillary is talking about Middle East countries being good Business opportunities.Where are the protestors now for the Syria Coup? Assad may not be the best leader, but that is up to Syrians to decide...not the USA. Has any of the countries that we have taken out don better post coup? The US has armed ISIS and other groups and encouraged them to fight Assad. Why? I thought we were fighting the radical Islamists? In 2013, Nobel Prize winning journalist Seymour Hirsch proved that the Syria DID NOD USE GAS. His articles were banned in the US? Hirsch's articles were banned because they exposed the lies that the US was telling about Syria? It's Deja Vu all over again Especially a journalist of such repute as HIrsch. Now is the time to resist the Coup taking place in Syria before it becomes another Honduras, or Iraq or Libya. WE HAVE NO BUSINESS there. Around 2003. Gen Wesley Clark revealed the fascist plan for the US to take out 7 Mid East Countries, Out of the 7, Iraq was taken out and decimated as was Libya. Syria is the next of these 7. Whey is no one talking about this? If it weren't Assad, it would be someone else. Honduras had a pro people government. Qaddafi had built us a great nation for his people and had may social programs. So he was taken out by being sodomized with t a sword. So who is the depraved here? The US is creating another Honduras. https://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/11/before_her_assassination_berta_caceres_singled

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/26/wes_clark_and_the_neocon_dream/ In 2017, the Neo Cons were joined by the Neo Dems who approved of Trump's bombing. Gen Wesley Clark revealed the USA plot to take out 7 Middle Eastern Countries. Leaders are demonized and called dictators and the US CIA uses this modus operandi every time it takes out a country. The leader is extraneous.

This is such hipocricy...Where were these 80 protestors when Hillary arranged the Coup that set up the fascist government in Honduras? Berta Caceres fingered Hillary as the culprit and the cause of her own impending death. The Hillary installed government has been regularly killing off indigenous people and stealing their land. Now, Hillary is talking about Middle East countries being good Business opportunities.Where are the protestors now for the Syria Coup? Assad may not be the best leader, but that is up to Syrians to decide...not the USA. Has any of the countries that we have taken out don better post coup? The US has armed ISIS and other groups and encouraged them to fight Assad. Why? I thought we were fighting the radical Islamists? In 2013, Nobel Prize winning journalist Seymour Hirsch proved that the Syria DID NOD USE GAS. His articles were banned in the US? Why are article banned? Especially a journalist of such repute as HIrsch. Now is the time to resist the Coup taking place in Syria before it becomes another Honduras, or Iraq or Libya. WE HAVE NO Business there. Around 2003. Gen Wesley Clark revealed the fascist plan for the US to take out 7 Mid East Countries, Out of the 7, Iraq was taken out and decimated as was Libya. Syria is the next of these 7. Whey is no one talking about this? If it weren't Assad, it would be someone else. Qaddafi had built us a great nation for his people and had may social programs. So he was taken out by being sodomized with t a sword. So who is the depraved here? The US is creating another Honduras. https://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/11/before_her_assassination_berta_caceres_singled

I guess Congress didn't read that other article on this site today about the Oil Company e-mails regarding their stealing billions of oil money from the Nigerian people.

Thank you for your reminder. I was going to call attention to Clinton's role in convincing the US to recognize the illegitimate coup government, but you beat me to it.

That's what the CIA thought about President Kennedy, only the Demonization (and Marginalization) began shortly after their Coup, and has never ended.

Just one of the many messes created by the Clinton State Department.

"Since 2010," eh? Sounds like Obama-Clinton-Kerry, to me! Oh, we would be so much better with Clinton, eh? I supported Bernie; voted Stein.