Home | About | Donate

US Government Quietly Starts Asking Travelers for Social Media Accounts

US Government Quietly Starts Asking Travelers for Social Media Accounts

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The U.S. government has quietly started to ask foreign travelers to hand over their social media accounts upon arriving in the country, a program that aims to spot potential terrorist threats but which civil liberties advocates have long opposed as a threat to privacy.

I would tell them to hit up the NSA.

My sarcastic remark is not intended to dismiss the horror of where this is all headed.

First foreign traveler, then domestic traveler, then just person on the street. Another reason to ditch, or remove yourself from social media accounts.

I thought I lived in the United States of America? You know, that country with the Statue of Liberty in the harbour welcoming the people of the world. This fear thing our government is laying/lying on us has about reached its limits on many US citizens. Let's demand a full honest, scientific inquiry as to how 911 actually occurred and bring the real perpetrators to justice (by then we'll most likely have to drag some of them back from Paraguay). Either stop this erosion of all of our liberties or demolish that facade of a statue and send the pieces back to France. This crap is truly shameful to our country.

"Bring the real perpetrators to justice" and shame in Murka are soooo 20th century.

Murka has been making great strides in shamelessly refining the art and science of blaming and punishing victims while praising and rewarding perpetrators.

Just don't let any facts get in the way of the BS or the gubmit's fact police will be visiting you post haste.

Is it clear to anyone else just WHAT they are asking for? Their "online presence" I assume doesn't mean password, etc?
But it is written so vaguely that it isn't clear to me what is being asked.

Here's another thought, I do have Facebook, use it very little, and a gmail account, but that's it. What about a traveler that has none? Will they suspect them just because they aren't into social media?

And as far as actual terrorists you would think they would create burner accounts on Facebook, Google, Twitter, and just write enough on each to make it believable. I really hope they aren't counting on this to catch actual terrorists.

Do note that these are for visitors coming for less than 90 days, without visas. I would bet the info is not going to be used unless it's needed for investigation after some event that makes that person's presence in the US suspicious. Yes, easily foiled if you really want to evade. Not a problem if you're really just here and back home.

Truth being that any and all online activity could be breached at any time for any reason by the dark state now.

And has been ongoing.

Funny, I coulda sworn Trump wasn't president till Jan. 20.

No reason to wait till the last minute I guess.

How many of you know congress just passed this bill to micro chip mental patients? The bill was written kind of vague. Which leads one to wonder who do they really want to microchip.

Another sleazy act! A traveler learns after an intercontinental flight, he has to submit his social media dealings. What are you supposed to do? You cannot go back immediately. Your return flight is booked and paid for for a later date and you have inland bookings, probably also prepaid.
How insidious can an administration get?
I can only advise all travelers to avoid the US at all cost. It is a crumbling empire.

No healthy society would vote vote for Trump as its head.

I had no idea - and it's disgusting.

Hello OnceAgain,

"What about a traveler that has none? Will they suspect them just because they aren't into social media?"

I know people who think like this. As if anyone who doesn't have/frequently use social media openly and displaying their lives for all to see are trying to hide something shady about themselves or that they have "something to hide" as in something the government should know about.

Our 'leaders' have become nothing more than thugs and bullies.

Hello madashellron,

Disturbing, isn't it?

That the U. S. Department of Justice is spearheading this involuntary chipping instead of the U.S. Department of Health is cause enough for concern.

IMO, and on behalf of foreign travelers to the US, the current and future (who you know will abuse this) administrations can go to hell.

Yes a problem. It is called "setting a precedent", one quiet step at a time.

"Six years ago, NBC Nightly News boldly predicted that all Americans would be fitted with RFID microchips by the year 2017."

I will die before I do that. Once in you guess what. Behind on your mortgage or rent, your house or apartment is locked automatically whenever you get too close.

Late on a cc payment, you get locked out right at the grocery store entrance.

Just remember. In the 90's, a credible survey found that 60% of citizens here were willing to "give up some individual rights" to help fight the WAR on DRUGS--the most sadistic, murderous, maniacal, totalitarian, torturous, family-dissolving war on our own citizens in the 20th, and now 21st century.

Want a WAR On DRUGS?--Move to Saudi Arabia, where a person who sells a joint gets beheaded.

For some reason, this reminds me of the college professor who was enroute to give a lecture on the East Coast. He was informed that he was on the no-fly list.
* He explained who he was and asked why he was on the list. The guard told him that that was classified, but asked him if he had ever demonstrated against the government. He said no, he hadn't, but had published several papers on the excesses and errors of the present government.
* "That'll do it," said the guard.
* From the referenced article:
"Even the dislike of authority is considered a mental disorder known as “Oppositional Defiant Disorder,” which could also warrant microchipping in the future. If these programs expand unchecked, how long will it be before all Americans are told that mass microchipping is necessary so that law enforcement and the government can better “protect” them?"
* How long, indeed?
;-})

Our nightmares have become reality.