Home | About | Donate

US Hypocrisy, From Cairo to Tehran

US Hypocrisy, From Cairo to Tehran

Soumaya Ghannoushi

Washington would be better off challenging absolute theocracies and brutal dictatorships, rather than confronting a semi-democracy in a region in which tyranny and absolutism are the norm.

Iranian pro-government supporters in Mashhad hold posters of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during a rally after authorities declared the end of unrest on 4 January 2018 (AFP)

I respect the author’s views.

But in no way should the US “impose” anything on countries in the Mideast or anywhere else.

It amazes me that people don’t get it. We don’t care, nor do we want Democracy here or abroad. Iran has been slated for Regime change for geopolitical reasons, plain and simple. Before them it was Iraq, Libya and Syria.

All part of the Neocon plan.

That word was an unfortunate choice, but I agree with most of what this author said, and if we had a better mix of intentions (the current mix I agree is mostly selfish interest as it has been for any length of history that is relevant), then I would want us to exert pressure on countries that aren’t democratic to become more democratic. This means cutting off Saudi Arabia for all arms sales tomorrow among many other actions. But getting to the point where we would actually do that means a whole lot of other changes are required (and should be pushed for). The sooner we get off of oil dependency the better because even if our selfishness remains the same, that change in self-interest will benefit the rest of the world.

By the way, there was an excellent piece on Real News Network on this topic (http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=767&Itemid=74&jumival=20847) with Trita Parsi (who I like very much now) and Dr. Eskandar Sadeghi (hadn’t heard of him, but also very good).

Thanks for the tip.

US hypocrisy in the Mideast is largely based on a "friend of Israel’ versus “enemy of Israel” continuum. Sad.