Home | About | Donate

US Postal Service Reportedly Considering Price Hikes as Trump Takeover of the Popular Agency Accelerates

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/15/us-postal-service-reportedly-considering-price-hikes-trump-takeover-popular-agency

1 Like

I sincerely hope that some force during the campaign against Trump will point out that his pathology involves labeling so many things truly American, such as the USPS, “a joke”, or some other pejorative term. A sixty-second ad featuring him spewing his bile at this and that in rapid fire might just wake a few up and get them off of their couches and off to the polls. The MAGAts? No. The usual nonvoters, hopefully enough. The man is a cartoon villain in the flesh. How anyone could not see that once he got his own “reality” show (at the absolute latest) is beyond me. One needn’t to have been in NYC to have sensed his vulgarity via just an occasional TV interview. I first saw him in 1980 on a PM Magazine-type show and my first impression, while probably right at the time seeing him as a sleaze ball, could never have forecast the monster into which he has bullied his way and been enabled by feckless fellow sleaze balls who now disgrace and threaten this nation. Hasten ye fate, please.

3 Likes

Where and when will a line in the sand finally be drawn? Read the Declaration of Independence. We are there, people. We are there. How much more must we endure?
The government is now simply giving trillions of dollars to corporations. Is that okay? No outrage? No absolute intense out in the streets armed outrage? Armed protest is allowed now in case you missed that. You got a measly 1200 bucks. The connected ones got millions. And nobody is p****d off about that? At least not enough to do anything about it.

Ah, bull****, I’m just a cranky, old, useless eater anyway. WTF do I know? I know most of your kids’ lives are going to suck, thats for certain.

3 Likes

Trump is determined to destroy every corner of our society. We must put an end to his sick reign. He must be stopped or he will put a stop to us.

4 Likes

All a bunch of little Caesar’s all of them includes Pelosi, Schummer, Hoyer, et al neoliberals in dem party.

1 Like

Absolutely! And one way Trump will try to stop us in November is to stop snail mail voting.

5 Likes

Don’s proxy, Stephen Stateless Bannon, literally announced the “deconstruction of the administrative state” at the CPAC convention in February of 2017.

Congressional Republicans entirely complicit. Congressional Democrats almost entirely the same, e.g., Adam Schiff voted in favor of H.R. 6407 (2006) - the bill (introduced of course by a Repug) that requires the USPS to pre-fund employee retirements seventy-five (75) years in advance. That is being curiously omitted from the current, logical requests to save the USPS from decimation.

2 Likes

Good question! Maybe not until it is too late and with the virus pandemic it is getting close to too late now because crowds of protestors are not being allowed in many places in the U. S. and we progressives can be sure Trump will use the corona virus for his political advantage in November

1 Like

Besides the capitalistic gains to private delivery services, this is absolutely about the Nov. election. Trump, as well as all repug’s, know that mail-in ballots destroys their stranglehold on the election process, and has the potential to throw the majority of them out of office, and derail their fascist coup. Many years of work down the drain. I don’t know what type of reader/scanner is used to count mail-in ballots, but if it’s not corrupted now, expect new counters to be rolled out before Nov. if mail-in voting becomes the norm. No doubt the large increase in volume of these ballots will be their excuse for the new scanners.
With Trumps crony now in place inside the USPS, also expect large amounts of ballots, especially from dem strongholds, to be “lost”, and the USPS will take the fall.

2 Likes

Postal package rates are competitive with UPS and Fed Ex.; sometimes even more expensive. Raising the rates will destroy their package business and swamp the private carriers. He may wreck the PO but he will tie up overall package delivery in the process.

Amazon will just buy more trucks and hire more drivers with their high accident fatality rate

3 Likes

I’ve asked senators and rep if they have any contingency plans for the endgame implied in your post.

Zero responses.

Right. It’s so interesting; which will take us down first? Trump or COVID?
Fascinating, Exceptional Country.

1 Like

How clever. Price hikes will certainly lead to increased usage, maybe $5 for a letter and $20 minimum price per package will have people rushing to send granny a box of chocolates or a thank you note to Aunt Mable. /s

1 Like

The post office needs to go away.

I have lived in La Jara, Colorado, Bethel, Alaska, and Angel Fire, New Mexico over the last 15 years and the USPS would not deliver to my home in any of these towns. We pay the same amount for all of our packages, but for 15 years I have received sub-par service. Hell, I am even required to pay extra to have the pleasure of having a post office box. Oh yeah, since the post office won’t deliver to my house, my home address is considered “invalid” by many retailers…all because the USPS won’t do its job. If you won’t serve EVERY American with the same level of service, then you can just go away. My only option to get anything other than junk mail delivered is through UPS or FedEx, so at least I get service from them. Regarding jobs, I am sorry, but the USPS should not be a place you get a pension from. Most Americans don’t get a pension anymore, so it is time phase pensions out for government employees, especially ones that don’t require any special skills or training. Hell, the post office should be where people go to work temporarily while they are unemployed. Let’s put together another Civilian Conservation Corps so people can still produce while temporarily out of work, and let’s make the post office part of it.

They’ve always considered price hikes. This is nothing new. But the Postal Board of Governors are the only people authorized to make them. However, revoking the Postal Accountability Act of 2006 would solve the problem with no hikes.

1 Like

Orange psychopath in the White House and his petty little spite fights, and endless cheating, and now his angry and selfish gaze is focused on the USPS. Wouldn’t want people to vote by mail would he? Not during a pandemic. The US continues down it’s journey to become what it has always been deep down a petty dictatorship with the wealthy controlling everything.

1 Like