Home | About | Donate

US Secretly Negotiated With Russians to Buy Stolen NSA Documents—And the Russians Offered Trump-Related Materials, Too

US Secretly Negotiated With Russians to Buy Stolen NSA Documents—And the Russians Offered Trump-Related Materials, Too

James Risen

The United States intelligence community has been conducting a top-secret operation to recover stolen classified U.S. government documents from Russian operatives, according to sources familiar with the matter. The operation has also inadvertently yielded a cache of documents purporting to relate to Donald Trump and Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Really? And what might be the point of “recovering” documents that already have been exposed and could be copied? Since spy agencies have shown tendencies to “politicize” intelligence, at least since Tenet’s term, how can you tell, James, when they are telling true or propagandizing you?

As I suspected they would, the Russians are now going to reveal how they worked with the Trump campaign to sway the election. It should always have been obvious that they would eventually do this, with the goal of destabilizing the US government.

“The United States intelligence community has been conducting a top-secret operation to recover stolen classified U.S. government documents from Russian operatives…” Seriously?

Try this: “Sam wants to recover a screen shot that Boris took.” I hope someone will explain to me how you can “recover” anything that has been shared in digital form.

Picture the Russian version of Dr. Evil:

“You [USA] give us one miilliion dollars and we pinky-swear not to look at the files we stole. And just in case your hard drive failed, we shall return them, too.”

Head over to the Intercept and read the comments from the “alt-left” corresponding to Risen’s report.

Basically amounts to their continuing love affair with the right wing fascist dickhead Trump.

Whoodathunk? In their minds the Deep State can’t possibly be aligned with Trump.

Any such “Deep State” would likely be divided on Trump. If anything, I see this more likely the pro fascism, pro Trump “Deep State” wanting to discredit any leaked evidence against Trump that Mueller might already have his hands on.

Good one. My favourite is part where the “Russian intelligence community” is stupid enough to sell the US documents incriminating themselves in 2016 election meddling.

You are correct, one cannot really “unring a bell”. The purpose of the operation might just be to see what the Russians have. Even tho they might not be totally forthcoming and keep some stuff from the Americans.

In a sea of lies and propaganda one just might get swallowed up in the whole sea. State secrets are certainly weaponized and can be used to start coups, destabilize governments or individuals, etc. Mr Risen must be careful in his reporting this story. He usually is a careful journalist but could still fall prey to diversionary tactics. The IC has ‘six ways to Sunday’ to mess with you. be very careful. I’m somewhat curious what was reportedly stolen that the NSA would pay to retrieve it. The dirt on Mr Trump won’t have much effect as he’s proven time and again that dirt never sticks to his Teflon clothes.

Whenever I read any variation on the word “Russia” in the MSM, a very red flag goes up in my mind (and it’s not the Soviet flag).

Agreed. Any “documents” stolen from the NSA would be in electronic/digital format. The NSA doesn’t do file cabinets. Can you imagine?!!

Smells like another “fake news” diversionary tactic to keep Russiagate front and center, while providing a side door to the break room for the intelligence agency chiefs. But, it must be true if “a Russian intermediary, apparently representing some elements of the Russian intelligence community” was involved…:roll_eyes:

But, here’s what I’d like to know: What were the heads of three Russian intelligence agencies doing, visiting the CIA?

What Were Russia’s Intel Chiefs Doing in the US? – Feb 8, 2018 – Alex Gorka – Russia-Insider

Sergei Naryshkin, the foreign intelligence chief, Alexander Bortnikov, who heads the Federal Security Service, and Lieutenant General (two stars) Igor Korobov, the head of Russia’s military intelligence, visited Washington in late January. Not much has been leaked to the media but it was reported that they met with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

As Russia-gate implodes, intel-gate emerges.

Implodes? Am I and the staff at lawfareblog.com the only ones who see the all-out effort to discredit the special counsel as a part of a coordinated criminal obstrution campaign? Hmmmm . . . What would the White House be obstructing and why?

I will never understand why the alt-Left decided to go all-in on defending rightwing oppressive fossil fuel oligarchs and their apparatchiks.

James Risen used to write for the NYT until he crossed an oligarchic red line. Seems he’s trying to get back in their good graces. Call it “penthouse cred.” The only decent writer left at The Intercept is the uncompromising Glenn Greenwald.

And Trump couldn’t care less that destabilizing the government was the Russian goal despite the fact that he would be the one to destabilize the US government. That confirms that Trump has tunnel vision and all he cares about is “I, me and mine.”

Any bets against the Russians trying to compromise elections again? How can Trump do anything about that when they got him into the White House? The Russians compromised Trump and are set to do it again in either the 2018 or 2020 elections. Can it be assumed the Trump government will do nothing to stop the Russians?

I don’t understand your notion that “the Russians are now going to reveal how they worked with the Trump campaign to sway the election.” It should be in their interest not to show their hand, so as to continue influencing US politics indefinitely.

Sometimes, recovering the originals may be important. So we should stop the sarcasm when it comes to things we may not have the complete details on. Remember the “Secret Society” righteous diatribe that spewed forth from senior Republicans and Fox News only to be recanted a short while later when they realized it was a joke? These thick-skinned AHs didn’t even wince when they realized they’d made fools of themselves. Like they say, “Its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt”. How anyone can support the current Republican Party and Trump is beyond me.

This makes me laugh. I’d bet that the “Russian operatives” downloaded files from the WikiLeaks Vault 7 files and offered to sell them to the CIA.