Home | About | Donate

US Set to Blow Other Countries Away With 'Staggering' Scale of New Oil and Gas Production

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/21/us-set-blow-other-countries-away-staggering-scale-new-oil-and-gas-production

How much is gas in your neighborhood?

1 Like

“LOOMING CARBON TIME BOMB”?

In other words; OUR PLANET IS BEING SCREWED!

My neighborhood (Washington County, Pennsylvania) has the highest concentration of fracked shale gas wells in the country.

I use my electric scooter or Smart or public transit, so I don’t even know what the price of gasoline is. They are the only electric motorbikes and Smart cars in western Pennsylvania.

Oh, I do lots of other stuff too - eschewing AC and electric dryers buying more expensive Pennsylvania wind-sourced electricity, and keeping the (gas) heat no higher than 62F in winter.

It all does absolutely no good at all.

1 Like

We are so totally fucked…

8 Likes

Maybe, but nevertheless… thank you for trying.

5 Likes

This shows just how serious U.S. leaders are taking the climate crisis.
In other words: NOT AT ALL!

8 Likes

I respect what you are doing but, as you probably already know, it is the BIG INDUSTRIES that need to do what you are doing if even an IOTA of difference will be seen!

2 Likes

It’s $3.20 for a gallon of unleaded here in Port Townsend, WA It was as high as $3.65

Greed TRUMPS all other considerations.

2 Likes

North Dakota has been the scene of feverish drilling activity. If you look at the state from space at night it looks like large portions of it are on fire.

3 Likes

Just the release of the transient gases while drilling is giving me nightmare visions. We are the hands of fools. Carbon and methane are already at record levels. I guess my death cert. is signed, stamped and sealed.

1 Like

I don’t know if I agree with that. Do you mean that, say, an automotive or air conditioner manufacturing plant has a bigger carbon footprint than the cars or central air conditioners it produces do in the hands of the consumers? That can’t be correct. Industry is only giving the consumers the internal combustion engine-driven things (and AC addiction) that they are clamoring for.

Yes I know that the middle-class consumer desires themselves are manufactured using the brilliant psychological means that Edward Bernays so diabolically devised, but ultimately, the onus of taking us back from disaster lies in the hands of the consumer.

I’m not optimistic.

1 Like

It needs to go higher…

1 Like

This is how that thing called “The Market” works and it illustrates why the system encourages bad and even dangerous behaviour.

As the science shows the burning of more hydrocarbons must end if we are to have a future “The Market” is instructing the Corporations that have a stake in these oil and gas fields to pump out as much of this stuff as they can as quickly as they can before those other sustainable sources come on line. By pumping this out as quickly as possible and in mass quantities they can temporarily keep costs to the consumer lower versus those other sources. The day will come when hydrocarbons no longer competitive but in the meantime these Captains of Industry are going to extract every dollar of profit that they can while they can.

In 20 years time when Climate change brings the world crashing to an end they can say “see I told you solar power and wind power would never work”.

They are fucking insane and any that insist we rely on this thing called “The Free Market” to determine the course of future events is fucking insane.

15 Likes

Oil and gas production in this day and age is f—ing insane. It has to stop and even if Trump is thrown out of office, a Joe Biden presidency will not get it done.

3 Likes

…and every living thing on the planet also

2 Likes

I see the language constantly ramping up as time goes by ~

Here’s my theme song - maybe lighten the mood:

Greenback Dollar (Kingston Trio - from way back)

1 Like

What we don’t have is modern day or even futuristic infrastructure planning.
Where are the plans for mass transit for example?
We dig tunnels in our large cities, not for mass transit, but to usher along bumper to bumper cars with one person in it on the way to and from work.
We put on more flight lines instead of less, and the military is not going electric, or if it is it will be a long time before that is accomplished.

3 Likes

I call it “entertaining my conscience.” Rationally it’s for sure my minuscule efforts amount to no great hill of beans, but what the hell, they’re pretty tasty heirloom beans

5 Likes