Home | About | Donate

USDA and Meatpacking Industry Collaborated to Undermine Covid-19 Response, Documents Show

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/15/usda-and-meatpacking-industry-collaborated-undermine-covid-19-response-documents

3 Likes

The Jungle, Upton Sinclair (1906)
Make America Great Again, Donald Trump (2020)

8 Likes

Yes, by the time Trump rides off he and the GOP will have undone all of the environmental and worker safety regulations going back to hydraulic mining laws, the very first environmental regulation in 1884.

If you liked 1883 when most Americans lived in poverty you will love 2025 when America will be “great again”, meaning that many of Trump’s cult will be fighting each other for space to live beneath bridges.

With the upcoming fiftieth anniversary of OSHA in December the Trump regime is racing to water down any meaningful safety regulations they haven’t already dismantled.

USDA, like every other gubmit agency has been co-opted by Trump and the GOP. A year ago, hearing that USDA allegedly has grant money for rural counties to expand internet, I enrolled in a seminar where the USDA representative kicked off the seminar by saying “USDA spells grant L-O-A-N”.

1 Like

I’m with PETA, give up the dead animal flesh post haste.

5 Likes

From counter punch:

~https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/15/american-carnage-unveiled/

‘American Carnage’ Unveiled

4 Likes

Me too. “Meet your meat” - PETA video.
(Horrific.)

3 Likes

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2020/sep/15/covid-farm-animals-and-pandemics-diseases-that-changed-the-world

2 Likes

Regulatory capture.

1 Like

Hi lindaan:
When I heard that the big chicken companies were either gassing or eletrocuting or foaming all these chicken to death—I guess because Covid was there and the owners wanted to blame it on the chickens. But then, I wondered----did they sell those murdered chickens to other companies or other nations? : (

3 Likes

Another Republican “Mission Accomplished.”

2 Likes

Again, the happy marriage of big business and government breeds corruption for greater profits. We are a moral cesspool under the worst administration that has ever existed.

4 Likes

This has nor been solely unique to the USA.

It has been a global problem and reports of it have arose in Germany, France, the UK and Ireland.

The problem is complicated and exacerbated by the fact that the most vulnerable workers have been migrants which the industry is reliant upon.

The meat industry model has now been found flawed - Germany is revising its employment law codes but is it sufficient and will other nations follow suit.

2 Likes

I hear ya. So many other way less harm causing things to eat. Not just for the suffering animals but the planet in general. I know I’m preaching to the choir here so please forgive me.

3 Likes

And I saw images of all the pigs that were killed too. Heaped in dumpsters. Why why why must we be such a plague and a torment for every other living being. It’s a tragedy.

5 Likes

The ghoulish, hellish, macabre work of the animal slaughter industry indicates that the industry profiteers and the politicians they own view the front-line workers as no more than carcasses to be exploited and sacrificed.
Perdue should never have been confirmed for USDA. He has a lifetime of being an animal killing profiteer.
The Trump regime and its corporate allies are worthy of a season of American Horror Story.

2 Likes

Remember, when you go to vote in November, this corruption. And remember also that Joe Biden has openly and repeatedly pledged that nothing substantial will change for the wealthy and the powerful. And conclude that, in the USA’s world-leading democracy, your vote has no purpose or value other than cementing the powerful in their positions.

1 Like

Hi stardust. The UK imports “bleached” chickens from US. (No idea what that means - must be a dump procedure.) :))

simply another capitalist scheme to exploit the labor of the poorly paid for the profits of a few --promoted by industry lobbyists , supported and approved of by our money grubbing, so called “leadership”

2 Likes

Photo seems to show a bunch of scientists in their lab coats. Are the “whites” cleaner, or do they just show how many boogers, and how much blood they have encountered.?

Hi wingsofadove:
"Bleached chickens?’ Oh wow, maybe the left over old meat is bleached to kill anything still living in the meat? I think it’s best that more people stop eating meat. Even the hunters need to beware as deer have that wasted dying disease. That’s not the correct name, but if wild creatures are also getting sick----that is very scary.