Home | About | Donate

Valuing Life More Than Borders

Valuing Life More Than Borders

Robert C. Koehler

“We are people who believe in the worth of every human being,” Elizabeth Warren said the other day, and I wondered for a moment what life would be like if that were true.

The more crucial question, however, is: How can we make it true?

'“The existence of borders, and the need and right to police them, are among the unquestioned assumptions in the conversation.”

Now is the time to challenge this stagnant, cruel assumption. Now is the time to stand at our border with something other than hatred and fear. Now is the time to declare to the world that no human being is illegal.’

Calvinism, with its predestination (of whitey) meme, is a sickness that infects the country to its core. It facilitates all sorts of racially based malfeasance, from the genocide of the indigenous inhabitants of the continent, to the Monroe Doctrine, to the war on “Terror”, etc. The Enlightenment must be relit if there is to be any legitimate hope for life on earth. ‘No human is illegal.’ Quite right! Neither is any whale, starfish, elephant, bobcat, sturgeon, minnow, butterfly, bee, etc. Life is sacred and requires balance. Calvinism requires asymmetric valuations at odds with such balance and so must be expunged from the national character.

The entire US history succinctly told in just a few words.

A truly excellent essay: It reminded me of a wise saying that Intelligence has its seat in the heart.

Your comment lends credence to your nom de plume, WiseOwl. Going a bit farther, I suggest that the deadly combination of Calvinism and Capitalism have undoubtedly resulted in more death and suffering than Communism ever did.

Now is the time to declare to the world that no human being is illegal.
what a great tagline! also, this 'hummingbird', aka 'nature's child' very mush likes 'wise owl's, "Neither is any whale, starfish, elephant, bobcat, sturgeon, minnow, butterfly, bee, etc. Life is sacred and requires balance."
From now on, we dehumanize no one. What if all national policy were embedded in such a value?
richard eskow made such a valid point that many of these asylum seekers are not fleeing to the united states so much as fleeing from the disastrous effects of u.s policy. american "exceptionalism" not only dehumanizes the other, but dehumanizes us. after #45 met with kim, nancy pee got all outraged as if the donald had lifted north koreans as equals with our fine selves. i do wonder if these political critters ever think about what "democracy" really means.

speaking about the thousands now held in cages as criminals a tee-vee journalist said just last week that republicans see an opportunity to show the world that we’re tough. democrats, on the other hand, see this as an opportunity to show the world–and perspective voters–how kind they are. our politicians care more about image than people. just can’t say it enough!

Now is the time to declare to the world that no human being is illegal