Home | About | Donate

Venezuela’s Popular Sectors and the Future of a Country

Venezuela’s Popular Sectors and the Future of a Country

Rebecca Hanson, Francisco Sánchez

Whereas protests in past years against the government have tended to be centered in wealthier neighborhoods, in January of this year, protests against Maduro began to break out across a number of poor and working-class neighborhoods, in places like Catia, La Vega, El Valle, and Petare. At the end of that month, we began conducting research on the recent turn of events connected to these protests.

There are a couple of issues I have with this article.
The first and most important is the absence of blame that the author places on the U.S, for the current economic crisis. It is no secret that since the U.S. ordered all banks globally to “sanction” Venezuela 21 years ago after Chavez first came to power, the economic hammer that the U.S. organized to undermine Venezuela has more to do with the current crisis that any other single factor. It is therefore natural that people are beginning to wane in their support of Maduro as the economics of the country are not an easy concept for the average Venezuelan to grasp.
Also absent is any mention of how the majority of media in Venezuela is still very right wing and has contributed a lot to the negativity surrounding Maduro and his difficulties in borrowing money due to American interference. Neither does the article really mention how all of the opposition parties wish to dismantle the incredible break throughs the Chavistas’ have made in the last 21 years in regards to alleviating poverty in the country. Any other Party that comes to power will surely dismantle universal, healthcare, public housing, free education and dozens of other successful social programs implemented by Chavez and Maduro. The Chavistas’ really do represent the 99% and this is what bothers the ideologically bankrupt billionaires in the U.S.
Countries like Canada and several European nations have supported the maniacal Trump only because they’re also beholden to the almighty U.S. dollar. Whether it is Saudi, American or Iraqi oil sold on the world markets, U.S. dollars are the only ‘acceptable’ currency for this precious resource. This current manufactured crisis should give pause to all of the planet’s countries to begin considering abandoning the U.S. dollar as the official international currency if we’re to retain any semblance of national sovereignty. The cabal of Trump, Bolton, Pompeo and Abrams represent the greatest threat to humanity in our short history. As global warming is being ignored at this crucial point in time along with an accelerated campaign to flood the world with even more nuclear weapons, these nasty policies will prove to be far more consequential that anything Hitler, Stalin or Mao ever imagined. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we stand behind Venezuela or else allow the U.S. to take down the entire planet with them as they race towards mass extinction.

The problems in Venezuela are many and compounding. The food chain’s answer for the poor; no matter where they live on the planet is mostly the same, devour and feast on each other.
The wealthy will give up nothing, sacrifice nothing, not even the extravagant shopping trips
to Miami. Couture for me, manure for thee.
The U.S. offers a closed fist, with brass knuckles for emphasis to all of this, of course. Deception, chaos and wealth extraction is our most important product in foreign relations. See, it worked so well domestically, we felt we just had to share it with the world. Exceptional, ain’t we?
Same as it ever was … well, for at least 400 years, and counting $$$$.

I would add that it is absurd to claim that Guaido comes without tons of baggage. People should read the in depth article by Max Blumenthal on him for that. Over 80% of Venezuelans, a cording to a recent poll didnt know anything about him. In some ways, readers of sites like this may have a lot more knowledge of the US’s role in their struggles, and it is just the case that the US is putting this extreme pressure (which is against international law and ammounts to collectively punishing the country) in order to breed these types of sentiments. This resilts in them being open to an opposition that will destroy them, and to at least alter perceptions of the left broadly. Same exact thing happened on Chile and Nicaragua, in a number of countries in Eastern Europe when the left won elections after the fall of the USSR, among other places. It is also true, though, that there are real issues with Maduro, and corruption across the ideological spectrum. I am not a Venezuelan, but if i was, i would push for the continuatuon of what was right with the revolution, i would want what was wrong to be fixed, i would want changes to happen by democratic means, and i would want someone on the left to sweep Maduro and the corrupt people around him out of power. And i would want the US, Colombia and the rest to mind their own fucking business. They all have massive internal problems of their own, and should worry about their own problems before creating more problems for others.

Hi Joan Robinson, I read that Chavez sent heating oil to poor Americans in the east — I’ve read that a few times, and it sounds true—so I wonder who is helping these poor Americans in this year’s winter from hell?

In our revolution we were mightily fighting for freedom. Then the French aided us and turned the tide, or at least helped it gain footing. Would we support any faction in Vz that wasn’t fighting for freedom. Any soldier that does is being foolish.
There must be a way to support military cannon fodder that doesn’t believe in the cause.
Someone to start an underground safe house. People were ready to stand up to tyranny in their own countries. Can’t we?

I would also suggest that this article is lacking in important background. It mentions a lack of basic necessities of life, while failing to mention that Chavez instituted the discounted prices in the barrios so the poor could eat. And no reference to the US causing Venezuela’s assets to be frozen so they can’t purchase or receive these necessities. It fails to mention the hoarding and withholding of necessities by non-governmental actors, including distributors. It also speaks of doctors but fails to mention that creating neighborhood clinics and free education was also part of the changes that Hugo Chavez initiated. For me, this article does not further understanding of the current situation in Venezuela.

Good question. Not many people in power care. Not a fan of Cuomo either.

The picture this piece paints is so far from what I’ve read elsewhere that it is tempting to see it as deliberate propaganda, to get the US left to accept the installation of Guido as puppet ruler of Venezuela. Others have mentioned the huge omissions, here’s another–Guido has been in the US TRAINING for this role for years, and was in negotiations with US authorities over his assertion of the presidency for a couple of weeks prior to his announcement. He has rejected all calls for negotiations, because a compromise on policy is not relevant to what he wants–the US mafia has promised him a place in their network of wealth draining, as their inside man in Venezuela, and they all thought the coup would succeed. He doesn’t want to negotiate, he wants POWER, the power delivered by a foreign government. The coup hasn’t succeeded, the military has stuck to their Constitution and the elected president, but it ain’t over yet. He still has hopes. he is actually calling for Colombia and the US to invade his own country, which calls to mind the word “treason.” More reliable reports do say Maduro’s government has been corrupt and incompetent, but the economic difficulties also resulted from a drop in the price of oil, which Venezuela relies on much too heavily.