Home | About | Donate

Very Turkish Abduction from the Seraglio and Crocodile Tears of the ‘West’

Very Turkish Abduction from the Seraglio and Crocodile Tears of the ‘West’

Umut Özkirimli

The whole experience was psychedelic, even for seasoned observers of Turkish politics, most of whom were first-hand witnesses or indeed victims of the periodic interventions of the “guardians of the republic” – in 1960, 1971, 1980, 1997 and, for that matter, 2007.

Thank you Umut and Ayse for helping the rest of us understand what might be happening there. Maybe I missed it but don't think I heard what the reasons or intentions were of the coup plotters, other than (some suggest) secular pushback against Erdogan's creeping fundamentalism. Don't know what Gulen espouses either.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/osman-softic/what-is-fethullah-g%c3%bclen%e2%80%99s-real-mission

This gives more on Gulen noting he an advocate of Neoliberal Capitalism and runs a chain of schools around the world to advocate his ideals. According to this article he has long been a CIA asset.

Gulen is NOT Secular. He desires an Islamist state.

This article definitely highlights the tensions ripping apart a nation that has lost its sense of community--tensions fed by neoliberal capitalism's voracious appetite for economic and military hegemony. As noted by Montesquieu, once a nation has sunk into despotism and left to fester too long, it will be nigh impossible to restore democratic institutions. Turkey and Egypt are showing two sides of the same coin. I empathize with their people, whose future has been compromised by the criminals in control.