Home | About | Donate

'Very, Very Disturbing': Trump Asserts 'Absolute Right' to Pardon Himself

'Very, Very Disturbing': Trump Asserts 'Absolute Right' to Pardon Himself

Common Dreams staff

Echoing the tyrannical claim of his lawyer Rudy Giuliani in a Twitter outburst on Monday, President Donald Trump asserted that he has the "absolute right" to pardon himself—a claim legal experts said is both factually inaccurate and dangerous.

Trump is setting himself up to be the victim in the eyes of his base, you know the one with all of the AR-15s. Not a pretty thought, not at all. Be very afraid. He would be quite happy to hold the country hostage to that scenario.

Trump was telling the truth (one of the few times he has) when he said in 2016 “I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any supporters.”

He should have added, “I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not go to jail for it.”

Welcome to dictatorship.

Wrong headed many headed snake in the grass.

Let the Games Begin.

The presidential oath of office—you know, the one he solemnly swore to on inauguration day—requires him to uphold the Constitution; the unspoken assumption is that he knows and understands what’s in it, which in hindsight seems not to be the case.

So, in those immortal words, “what is to be done?”

Exactly.

I’ve heard of someone trying to be judge, jury and jailer, or something like that, but hold on, NOW you can be the criminal too! I’d be laughing if it wasn’t so disturbing.

Par for the course from Trump. Would not have expected any other answer. But at face value it is ludicrous for anyone, Trump or otherwise, in any position to be able to pardon themselves.

Unfortunately, I can see the Robers court with the addition of Gorsuch, upholding Trump’s claim. That is how crazy they are.

I have contacted one of my Senator’s expressing the need for them to be on the Senate floor helping others understand that we do not have a King. It is my hope that others will do the same. This has got to stop NOW!!!

Mr. Mueller, please hurry.

What I find to be most nefarious is that the duopoly, having risen parasitically with and doubling down on the legacy of extractive power, have constantly positioned to minimize the presence of the Constitution.

Every Public Library in the country should, IMHO, place a copy of it at the lobby entrance and have pocket copies and ongoing evening sessions inviting residents to join in to full reading and exploration of what it means to them/us. Bring in the uncounted Constitutional scholars, have a movie night once a week showing debates and the countless tapings of talks.

I fear that the Constitution has become/been forced to the margin and a come-back would be most invigorating. This something that we can all share and we need to be identifying all that can be rescued from the dust bin of the duopoly.

Here’s Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Here is a link to a tape from 2014 of Prof. Laurence Tribe discussing the Constitution and the Roberts Court. Reviewing observations of scholars in the past can be an interesting yardstick.

But the silly thing, for me, is that to pardon himself he has to be convicted of, or confess to, a crime. Let’s ask him to which crime he’s confessing.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you’re filthy rich.

Hindsight?

You can still (I already did, during the campaign) send a copy of the Constitution booklet

https://www.constitutionfacts.com/us-pocket-constitution/

free (small postage) to the Trump Organization in NYC. I’d like to stage a repeat of the mail-delivery scene from “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.”

Can we say ‘high crimes and misdemeanours’?(never thought I’d actually see trump drop the veil as he is doing the ouroboros twitch… but wonders never seem to cease)

He has the list of questions…unless this is a spontaneous admission.

Even if Congre$$ bothers to remove him, he appears to be saying that he won’t go quietly. Then what remaining U.S. institution will have the authority to march him out? If he has the militarized police and/or the military itself on his side, he could literally hold the nation hostage.
He should be exiled, if the people have any power at all.

I take this as an admission go guilt as The Old Goat and bkswrites say. So we have an openly criminal situation now balanced by a slightly less corrupt political establishment; this is stranger than fiction.

I am laughing. This shows just how fked the TV clown really is.
He’s going to drown in an Ocean his own sh!t and hopefully take the duopoly with him.