Home | About | Donate

Vindication for Press Freedom as Charges Dropped Against Journalist Amy Goodman

Vindication for Press Freedom as Charges Dropped Against Journalist Amy Goodman

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

In a vindication for press freedom and land protectors fighting against the Dakota Access Pipeline, North Dakota has dismissed the "riot" charges against Democracy Now! journalist Amy Goodman, issued after she reported on pipeline company security guards physically assaulting nonviolent, mostly Indigenous land protectors in September.

Thank you, Amy Goodman and all who participate in Democracy Now!.

Keeping the news human, listening, reporting and presenting it with such integrity.

The cabals that are dependent on usurpation of everything in order to "external" the costs is tantamount a death wish with the consequences always being compounded at an alarming rate. Human minds and hearts are indeed a terrible thing to waste and lose. The criminal cabals must be combated constantly with love, truth, accuracy, compassion, rigor and above all JOY!

Here is a link to DN! on the news

The largest most on-going threat to our civil liberties and our Constitutional rights is not coming from terrorists or any other outside group. Rather it is coming from the police and government prosecutors. The latter, at least, should know the law. The authorities instead of protecting our rights misuse the law like a club to try to beat us down. This is nothing new of course.

I would like to add my thanks for standing up for freedom of the (non-corporate) press.
Thank you, Amy!
But on the more practical side: How can she recover those travel expenses as well as time away from productive work, which were needlessly incurred by this witch hunt?
The idiocy of these charges should be punished.

There is a phrase I don't really care for at all in regard to the military, but I can say it proudly directing it to Amy Goodman and those other journalists, and protesters who speak truth to power:

Thank you for your service.

Quite frankly the prosecuter who brought these charges against Ms Goodman should be dismissed.

He brought these charges against her as a tool of intimidation which is an abuse of authority.

Yes, such good work, Amy! And the ongoing struggle to get the Truth out is at least somewhat more exposed. Definitely forces of good vs the evil empire!

Brava, Amy Goodman & Democracy Now!...peerless...what Democracy looks like. We need Amy & DN! now more than ever.

Yes to all the above -- and Please -- Do not forget Deia Schlosberg:

"In an ominous sign for press freedom, documentary filmmaker and journalist Deia Schlosberg was arrested and charged with felonies carrying a whopping maximum sentence of up to 45 years in prison—simply for reporting on the ongoing Indigenous protests against fossil fuel infrastructure."

Great news for a great lady. She has worked for as long as I can remember to bring truth to a truth starved nation. Her journalism is just about all we see of real journalism in the t.v. news. She deserves awards not this kind of totalitarian treatment.
I saw today the internet connection for Julian Assange has been stopped.
Nationonenews.com says Assange has been taken out of the Embassy by the UK police.
Has anyone else heard that? Looking for conformation. They say Wikileaks dumped everything they had on the web in a contingency plan. If this is true we are all going to suffer censorship. I have felt for some time Clinton will crack down on our news sources.

Doesn't mention that the private security people were using attack dogs to bite the protectors as well as using pepper spray. And the police, usually around in droves, were nowhere to be seen.

I hope hope not. Wouldn't she do that after the ellection?

Now it's time to investigate the state attorney, the local attorneys and the Police Departments involved in charging the journalists trying to cover the pipeline protests. The problem is, they all seem to have more than the normal law and order interest in this pipeline protest!

Obama is too busy investigating the Russians alleged hacking of the DNC to bother with unleashing his DOJ on North Dakota.

Restarting the cold war with Russia will enhance Obama's retirement package big time while investigating harassment of journalists is likely to have the opposite effect.

One step closer to: "Fahrenheit 451"

Charges dropped!! Kudos to Amy on her eloquent, professional interview this morning before appearing in court. The ripples are already being felt worldwide! Our ND officials have some serious soul-searching to do: tribal sovereignty, treaty rights, climate change, "regulatory capture" by the oil industry--and so much more.

The Cops who arrested her should be arrested by Federal Marshals on charges of violting her Constitutional rights and everyone involved in Ordering her arrest should join them in the jail cells.

The people who issued the orders should also have their Bank Accounts checked for any "Extra Income" related to the protests.

Chalk one up for the good girls!! Great work, Amy

Well, if this had gone to court - preferably a trial by jury, it might have been possible, say, with the backing of the legal departments of Greenpeace and or The Sierra Club, to put the Lysander Spooner test to work.

According to Spooner in his "Trial by Jury", quoted extensively and verbatim by anti-nuclear activist John Gofman in his book "Irrevy", it is the primary function of a jury, as a "palladium of liberty", to judge of the justice of the law broken.

If the jury finds the law itself unjust - all charges are thrown out - judges and attorney generals be damned.

This principal was first enshrined in the 1215 Great Charter in England, and is part of American law.

But it is just paper - like the constitution - and dismissed if inconvenient to the powers that be.

But this is the only protection a civilized democrat has - barring a resort to arms, and I would like to see it tested as soon as possible in the courts.

Laws can be made to allow or disallow anything.

Justice is built into the human psyche - and this is why the trial by jury as envisaged by Lysander Spooner is key to our survival as a civilization with a future, as opposed to the current suicide society.

Here is another example of the coordinated attack on the freedom of the press:

Perhaps the Lysander test could be applied here, since Goodman is now free? (see my previous post)