Home | About | Donate

Violence Against Indigenous Hondurans Shows Us What Fuels Migration

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/28/violence-against-indigenous-hondurans-shows-us-what-fuels-migration

2 Likes

Sounds exactly like a C.I.A. operation to me.

2 Likes

Lip service from agents of empire like Pelosi is worse than useless.

We the People in the USA need to see the horror that is “our” country, and see what is really needed to move toward justice, and toward enabling a survivable ecology.

And we need to do it fifty years ago. But any move toward realism will be welcome.

2 Likes

Get used to violence. Climate chaos has upped the volume and we’re just getting warmed up.

So to speak.

“a three-day Congressional delegation to Central America … visited Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Texas”

I didn’t know that Texas is in Central America. But I do know that Nicaragua is, and it’s curiously absent from this article. I can think of two reasons:

1. Nicaragua’s standard of living has been rising since the FSLN was elected to government in 2006, with the result that few northbound migrants are Nicaraguan. (Some do go south to Costa Rica for jobs, particularly after last year’s right-wing attempted coup damaged the economy.)

2. Not just the Trump regime and Senate toadies want to overthrow the Sandinista government, but also the ‘Democrat’-controlled House, which unanimously approved the so-called NICA Act last year to put economic sanctions on Nicaragua. Sadly, not only Pelosi but (pre-Squad) alleged progressives bought into Bolton’s regime-change agenda – and are doing boo-all to counter it.

BTW, Canada’s lackey government endorsed the U.S.-backed coup in Honduras, and both countries see Honduras’s illegitimate government as an ally in their coup efforts in Venezuela. Canada also meekly obeyed Uncle Same recently by imposing sanctions on Nicaragua; from Harper to Trudeau, Canada’s foreign policy has changed little.

3 Likes

Those durn injuns is in the way of progress! They has got to go!

Oh sure, the biggest rabble rouser on the planet wants to “promote regional stability” probably for the greater good. Holy mackerel, what’s next?