Home | About | Donate

Volatile America

Volatile America

Robert C. Koehler

In a flash I thought, oh God, the civil war has started.

Then the headlines shifted and, for the moment, “normalcy” returned. It’s a Trump-sated normalcy that’s anything but, of course, and the most recent heavily reported violence (at least as I write these words) — the murder of three police officers in Baton Rouge — blends into the endlessly simmering turmoil known as the United States of America.

The incidents of individuals ambushing and killing police were abhorrent. Yet, many on the right and supporters of the status-quo, have used these incidents as grounds to condemn all Black Lives Matter activists. Yet whenever one or more police shoot innocent Black people, or any innocent civilian, those so quick to condemn BLM are also quick to offer support to the police.

Here's one more incident of a Black man with his arms up getting shot by police. I am interested to see how the police justify this shooting and their refusal to provide any form of first aid or medical assistance to this man.

Thanks for posting this here. I saw the story earlier at the Guardian and wondered if CD would run the story.

And this is why it is so damn important to stop both Clinton and Trump.

Agreed.

And important to continue community based organizing and progressive movement building efforts no matter what the outcome of the elections.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Don't ever use the word disarm without actually being able to go through with it ... whenever conservatives hear that, it acts as a trigger for them to go out and buy more guns ... and they have more than enough guns stockpiled already ...

oh gosh! yet another incident of "official" murder! in response to the recent sniper attacks on police obama states:

"I condemn, in the strongest sense of the word, the attack on law enforcement in Baton Rouge. For the second time in two weeks, police officers who put their lives on the line for ours every day were doing their job when they were killed in a cowardly and reprehensible assault. These are attacks on public servants, on the rule of law, and on civilized society, and they have to stop."

i find obama's rhetoric totally disingenuous and offensve. first of all this is a man who holds tuesday meetings to decide who next on earth should be killed by a sneak drone attack. where comes the audacity to call another cowardly? secondly, we have witnessed too many times now cases of police murdering an unarmed citizen. yet obama calls these thugs heroes, "who put their lives on the line for ours every day," i've lived a long time and have never known a police officer to put his life on the line to save mine. have you?

both snipers, long and johnson, likely became "radicalized" while serving in america's imperial forces. long was even a decorated marine who believed he was killing brown people in the middle east in order to protect precious american lives--one to whom obama often say, "thank you for your service." the united states IS the most powerful weapons force on earth and the whole approach promotes cowardice as heroic.

now these two men, long and johnson see police killing of poor, mostly black men and women as well as acts of war against brown skinned people here.

That's probably not going to be possible. What should have been done is a boycott of products advertised on mainstream media to coerce them into letting go of their paid addiction to the two main parties to force them to give airtime to Jill Stein -- then maybe she would have stood a chance. Large swaths of voters are ripe for her kind of message but it isn't getting to them due to the infamous third party freeze out.

I suppose it could still happen before the general election but not unless the big media companies -- there are only six of them: GE, News Corp, Disney, Viacom, Warner, and CBS feel the neobern.

What I have explained is that these companies are the weak links in the Powers That Be because the only thing they have to sell is access to consumer attention. They have no inventory to unload before making new stuff. Attacked in sufficient numbers with sufficient creativity, they will pretend to cave then have to live up to what they are saying. Communicating agitators would have to stay on them, of course. "We" know all too well that if were up to them, cigarette commercials would be back and plentiful. Alcohol advertiding us sneaking back in. When I was was young and callow, mention of vaginas would have been unthinkable. Now they're a whole advertising genre.

I have repeatedly suggested that we (yes, the much maligned "W word") start a major idea and opinion assault, a publicity war on the Sick Big Media companies: emails, voicemails, letters to the editors, their "we want to hear what you think" talkback things they have going. If a few people do it, nothing will change. I think that there are people on "our side".who could produce effective creative counter propaganda and it might cheer up and maybe even ignite the rest.

My other ignored proposal was here in the Dave Johnson Republicans Want To “Make America Work Again”? That Would Be Real Change column

stiffupperflipflop's suggestion and explanation why it Could work;
The Big They want to "Make America Work Again" with slave drivers and house slaves to keep everyone's noses to the multiple grindstones till our faces are burned off as we are worked to death because plenty of perfectly workable conditioned to be compliant replacements will always be readily available. What I think needs to happen is for the leftist-liberal-progressive movements to coalesce into something along the lines of the old 19th century Abolitionist Movement with a goal of freeing the wage slaves.

All the other problems that get discussed extensively (too extensively) -- ethnicity, ecology, income disparities, overpopulation encouragement, war making and war materiels production occupying a too large portion of nation states' budgets, religious indoctrination leading to controlling repression of women, children, and male bosses who don't see how exploited they are -- all this could be framed as ways that keep the wage slaves from gasping that slavery is their actual condition. Then that means that if enough of the working class could begin to be propagandized (contrary to what we have been led to believe, propaganda could work for us as well if not better than it works for the slavemaster-banker complex) to alert people that there is an identified movement that is trying to free them and that a Free The Wage Slaves movement could actually do just that (continued),

I keep putting up approached that I believe could really work but if everybody wants to stay with snarky quibbling about why all ideas suck but the ones that favor their group, be that way. I'll be the guy laughing and slapping my knee in the refugee camp.

another article in today's views dovetails well with this message from robert koehler, i'm posting the title and a tweet included in the text;

US-Led Airstrikes Kill as Many Civilians as Nice Attack–but Get No Front-Page Headlines in Major US Papers

by Adam Johnson

US "accidentally" obliterated 85 civilians. Same number as killed in Nice but you won't see wall-to-wall coverage

i wish that stopping these two little people would solve the problem, but there's more to this than that.

This is what takes courage: to get to know your “enemy.” I know at the deepest level of my being that we can walk together toward such awareness. This is the only chance we have to disarm our volatile future.

right bob! all it takes the courage to step outside ones comfort zone. the best way to destroy an enemy is to turn him into your friend.

Mr. Koehler's essay totally reinforces Mars Rules by placing every human being into the racist, militaristic, kill and conquer "basket."

And based on the violence of those who wear a uniform or formerly wore a military uniform, and/or those given to USING guns, he indicts all of humanity.

Sure.

That stunning absolutist "WE" again. As if WE had anything to do with planting a false flag, controlling the propaganda spun off a massive media system, using financially depressed times as a back-door draft, and engaging in already planned (by Deep State elites) wars.

Some people DO care, Mr. Koehler. However, as The Page and Gilens study aptly points out--it is not THEIR views, voices, or visions that factor into the net calculus that Power enacts.

YOU blur those lines of distinction all the time.

The numbers are deceiving. Typically, NRA nuts have upwards of 10 guns each and people like myself, zero.

You're correct. But let's start with the top and show these puppets what real "trickle down" looks like!

It's up now.

Large majorities of USians are not "packing." Most gun owners own multiple guns. i think a recent story set the average at 8 guns per gun-possessing household, (average of course distorted by the "people" who own dozens).

Well luckily there is a large portion of the population that isn't gung-ho to go out and get shot to prove a point. Although I will confess the asses who always think in terms of conflict are pretty terrifying.

Nonsense. The First Amendment gives the people only the right to peacefully assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. Black people who shoot white police because the police oppress them are in line with the thinking of only Thomas Jefferson who wrote that whenever government violates the rights of the people, then the people have the right to use violence to alter or abolish the government. (See the Declaration of Independence.) Jefferson also said: "The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants." All of the other founders did not agree with Jerfferson and that is why the Consttution says protests must be peaceful.

The problem with shooting police because they oppress you is that this is a violent revolution against the government (the police are part of the government). All revolutions happen because the oppressed in society use violence to overthrow their oppressors. But the government is far more able to kill blacks who rebel than blacks are able to overthrow the government.

You might want to read the history of the Whiskey Rebellion. The first Congress levied a tax on grain used to make whiskey to pay our debt from the Revolutionary War. The grain farmers didn't want to pay the tax, so they used their Second Amendment right to take up arms against the tyrannical government that oppressed them by taxing them. President Washington put a stop to the nonsense by calling up the militia to quell the rebellion.

So, Barack Obama is saying nothing different than George Washington did when he quelled the Whiskey Rebellion. If you want to use violence against the police, you do so at your own peril. Since the BLM protests are peaceful, the protesters have more sense than the nutcases who die shooting police officers.

Siouxrose, MARS has nothing to do with it. The problem is that as guns proliferate, people will use them to settle disputes. The old Wild West towns discovered that when everybody is armed (the good guys for protection and the bad guys to prey on the good guys), the number of shootings will increase. The famous gunfighter John Wesley Hardin once shot a man just for snoring.

Towns like Tombstone solved the problem of shootings by enacting strict gun-check laws (only Wyatt Earp could be packing heat in Tombstone). This violated the Second Amendment, but the townspeople rationally thought that it was necessary to violate the Second Amendment to make society more safe.

The NRA takes the nonsensical view that the Second Amendment is absolute. The government cannot take my gun for any reason what-so-ever.

The NRA would probably have opposed the gun-check law in Tombstone. But it puzzles me that they do not oppose airport screening to prevent anybody (but Air Marshals) from packing heat on an airplane. This obviously violates the Second Amendment. I think the screening violates my constitutional right to privacy (the basis for Roe v Wade), but I accept this violation of my rights because of the greater good: making air travel safer.