Home | About | Donate

Voters Shame Cowardly Reps with Town Halls Hosted by Cardboard Cut-Outs

Voters Shame Cowardly Reps with Town Halls Hosted by Cardboard Cut-Outs

Nika Knight, staff writer

As people flood town halls during the Congressional recess to register their outrage over President Donald Trump's right-wing agenda, many members of Congress are apparently attempting to duck the public outcry by refusing to hold any town halls at all.

Why not? We need to carry on without them now. They are useless.

We need to find ways to hold their feet to the fire but NOTHING will change so long as big money holds the power it does.

Reclaim the electoral process.

Persistent protest.

I wouldn't argue against the cardboard cutout tactic, but it's worth keeping in mind that public figures (politicians and celebrities) are nearly always immune from shame... Think of Bill Clinton, any reasonable person would die from the shame he ought to have endured while President, but he chuckled his way through it all... George W was the same... and on and on. A prerequisite for serious ambition is a lack of social conscience.

Can also try this:

https://www.justice.gov/actioncenter/report-and-identify-missing-persons

It should be pretty obvious that total, rolling, non cooperation is becoming necessary. Money and power is all they truly care about. Calls are growing for a National General Strike. #GRABYOURWALLET: https://grabyourwallet.org

The object isn't to force them to acquire integrity - that isn't our responsibility; besides, it far too late for that. The mission is to put them on the defensive, and make it known in very concise fashion: "we know what you're doing and WE WILL NOT STAND FOR IT." It is being an active participant in our representative government. Democracy is not a vicarious experience.

If they are useless, might as well get rid of them.

This should be used..."A recall election (also called a recall referendum or representativery recall) is a procedure by which voters can remove an elected official from office through a direct vote before their term has ended."

This is perfectly legal. Let's do it!

Elected officials do this all the time, skip out on meetings with their constituents, skip the country to go on junkets, do whatever in the hell is opposite of what their constituents want but what the big money wants, and still the people send these bastards back to DC or their own State Legislature! How damn long do you keep getting kicked in the teeth before you stop smiling?

I understand completely, that's why I said I wouldn't argue against the tactic, which seems sound. I'm just referring to the headline, which speaks of shaming cowardly reps; I think shame is not a weakness to point out when speaking of public figures... This one is a near trivial example in itself, but I have often noticed progressives, having unknowingly projected their own morality and worldview on public figures, suggest tactics based on such misapprehensions and inevitably missing the mark. Best recent example that comes to mind is when progressives (including Amy Goodman) repeatedly point out that Trump hasn't paid his taxes. The statement is true, and deplorable, but is also counterproductive if you're trying to point out to Trump supporters that the president is problematic - Trump and his supporters see non-payment of taxes as a positive thing, so no amount of criticising him on that score is going to win points - and everyone who thinks the president ought to pay taxes is already a non-supporter of Trump. I don't feel I'm being particularly articulate, but I hope you see the point I'm trying to make.

I'd say you hit it perfectly, great example using Trump's opposition to releasing tax returns, well done.

Anyone a constiuent of Albio Sires, ....8th District, New Jersey...
he ALSO has NO SCHEDULED Town Hall. Obviously a coward!
--- also he was a sworn coward from way back, namely a sworn Clinton superdelegate
even before the New Jersey Primary!
he was re-elected with around 85%,
so I assume he figures, who cares, why be bothered...
anyone want to join me in putting up flyers around his district?
I called his office repeatedly, as did my husband..
Please light up his phone!

I guess you've all seen the tweeter in chiefs recent tweet;
Trump writes, “The so-called angry crowds in home districts of some Republicans are actually, in numerous cases, planned out by liberal activists. Sad." No, ginger chimp, what is sad is that you are our president. And of course, you forgot to mention that a lot of the people in those angry crowds are people that voted for you.

Not paying taxes is called "freeloading off us all" or "stealing."

When I scroll down the list of town halls this recess, I'm amazed, astounded really, at the activism that this Administration has evoked. We're going to have to house-train many of these legislators as they have traditionally ignored the town hall process in favor of using the congressional recess to drum up campaign funds. No one has ever really called them out on this inattention to constituents and it's certainly been mostly our fault.

Sometimes we get so involved with political pessimism that we ignore the many positive aspects of the Trump blowback. The outcry has been impressive, informed, and clever. And although perhaps so many legislators are incapable of being shamed, I think it's worth a try. What the experts at Indivisible tell us is that their former bosses really dislike negative attention. They may not admit it, but this is gonna sting.

You make a valuable point. I've been thinking that in some ways, we're making Trump into a right-wing martyr. He's becoming a "victim" for his fans, and we're perceived as the bullies. Selective attention on their part, admittedly, but we're still being counterproductive if what we really want to do is to convert the less informed and wake them up to the Trumpocalypse.

And this: This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it. [Abraham Lincoln]