Home | About | Donate

Voting Against McConnell Amendment, Sanders Says 'American People Do Not Want Endless War'

Voting Against McConnell Amendment, Sanders Says 'American People Do Not Want Endless War'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As 25 Democrats voted with the GOP on Thursday to pass Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) resolution condemning President Donald Trump's troop withdrawal from Syria and Afghanistan, Sen.

2 Likes

Heartbreaking.

1 Like

Trevor Timm sez:
“Chuck Schumer has a unique talent for voting against all the bad GOP bills Dems support, while also refusing to whip his caucus so they always pass.”

Not sure how ‘unique’ it is, but very consistent, yes.

As with the BDS-muzzling amendment, the Democratic Party™ gave its OK while all of its Team 2020 (Senate) hopefuls (Booker, Gillibrand, Harris, Klobuchar, Sanders, Warren) get to campaign on voting against it.

4 Likes

This call for “statesmanship” is rather awkward since this admin has gutted the State Dept. leaving sanity looking like roadkill.

2 Likes

HRC fixed the last election to lose it! Now, she’s working hard to undermine international environmental and arms treaties too, while secretly running for president again! Truly diabolical.

2 Likes

Obviously @Die.Bart is referring to the primary election which a lot of us (me included) wish she had lost. Though the level of her corruption in the primary may be overblown, no one is going to convince me she was completely impartial and only wanted a fair comparison of ideas and past performance. I hope we never hear from her again and everytime she is in the news I cringe. She is and was toxic waste and if our next nominee has any connection to her, I’m quite worried.

1 Like

Yes most of the sane Americans are tired of America’s endless wars, but unfortunately America is not a democracy, which by my definition, is participation in the political war power of the government by the people.

1 Like

Are we surprised then that 286 active duty members of military committed suicide in 2018. It would be higher if the US Army refused to release their numbers. Veteran suicide rates are higher than the rest of the population and our politicians remain committed to keep those suicide rates as the price they pay for spreading misery around the world.

4 Likes

Sanders wasn’t impartial either—he wanted to win! The idea he was an innocent, all above-board politician, is a joke and I’ve been critical of the hagiographic treatment, overlooking his faults in favor of conspiratorial nonsense, he has received. Weaver and Devine are longtime political operators that run multimillion dollar consultancies, Devine in particular, and Sanders paid them a lot of money. He had the worst tax disclosure (really financial) record save for our president in 2016, worse than Ted Cruz. If anything, HRC was pummeled for her disclosure—her Wall Street speeches were learned of from them—while both our president and Sanders were rewarded, largely, for the lack of doing the same. In that regard, I think your “toxic” comment is quite ironic, given the precedent set by the non-toxic Sanders.

Did you think that up all by your lonesome self?
Sen. Sanders has consistently been opposed to further U.S. troop entanglements in Syria. And, opposes troops in the MENA, war or escalation of any military type with Iran or Venezuela.
While also condemning the behavior/meddling of Russian intel organizations in the 2016 elections. Which, btw, we cannot know the extent of because it’s classified by most of the ongoing Congressional investigations and The Alphabets slowwalking of " sensitive " document releases and hyper-secrecy, in general.
Sen. Sanders doesn’t have control of the MIC, The Alphabets or the investigations by various Congressional Committees. Your baseless smears and constant harangues show you to be a dead-ender with a rather oddly warped agenda.
Did Sen. Sanders pee in your Wheaties, mayhaps?

1 Like

So, you’re an advocate for Russian Intel Services interfering in our national elections, then?
Got it.
BTW- Eat some more Wheaties.

Sure I’d prefer Bernie released more tax returns (I really don’t care, but he released is complete 2014 return on April 15, 2016), but my toxic comment has to do with what I perceive, both from people I know and various things I hear in the media, Hillary Clinton’s popularity to be. I never heard anybody engender the amount of hatred as her. Not Obama, not Sanders, not anybody. I stand by that impression. In terms of overall comparison between Sanders and Clinton on policy and tone during the campaign as well as comments made after the campaign (Clinton’s complaints in her book make her look pathetic), you aren’t going to sway me one bit. So I guess we’ll have to discuss other things.

Not expecting to. It’s tough to step back and look at our favorites as politicians. I count myself as a Sanders supporter that doesn’t put him on a pedestal and think he made real, honest-to-God mistakes in his campaign, and was dishonest when convenient to boot. Of course, for the record, popularity and perceptions are moveable thing as well:

1 Like

Can we really find a better candidate than Bernie Sanders to draft?
That’s the question –
Can’t even think of a female as VP – AOC is too young, I believe.
Point is – we should DRAFT a candidate and we need new Dem candidates –
enough to challenge every Repug.

I hope these gerrymandered districts for both democrats and republicans disappear with the 2020 census.

The new census will simply show the growth in the number of non-white citizens who mostly live in districts already under Democratic Party control. It will not really effect gerrymandering, voter suppression or the broken election system except indirectly as it’s the basis for the expenditure of federal funds.