Home | About | Donate

Vowing Gun Reforms and Calling for 'Love for All Muslim Communities,' New Zealand PM Praised for Leadership After Mosque Attacks

Vowing Gun Reforms and Calling for 'Love for All Muslim Communities,' New Zealand PM Praised for Leadership After Mosque Attacks

Julia Conley, staff writer

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern awed American gun control advocates Friday night when she announced that her administration would promptly pursue changes to her country's gun laws following the shooting deaths of 49 people at two mosques in Christchurch—in stark contrast to the response of the U.S. government to similar attacks.

2 Likes

“If only” we had leaders in this country, that, after a horrific mass shooting said, “The gun laws will change,” perhaps then, the people could begin to feel some sense of safety in this nation.

5 Likes

Here’s Suzie Dawson on misguided spying:

Peace
Po

5 Likes

Barbaric USSAens prefer guns over human life.

4 Likes

And the totally amazing and gob-smacking thing about this will be that nobody in NZ will scream that their “freedom” is being taken away. In fact, they will celebrate getting their freedom back!

4 Likes

My Nephew who lives in New Zealand, says that New Zealand already has very strict firearm laws and that failed to stop the attack. One has to wonder if more reforms are the answer.

3 Likes

That they have strict laws is addressed in the article, but it also mentions this:
" gun control advocates have called for stricter enforcement, pressing for reforms of loopholes which allow New Zealanders to own many more military-style semi-automatic weapons than authorities can trace, and to modify firearms to make them operate as semi-automatic rifles…"
It also mentions that the PM is having a cabinet meeting, to address these concerns and plan what can be done.

4 Likes

Surely I’m not the only one who can’t help but read about NZ’s PM, Jacinda Ardern, and imagine a similar reaction and response from a President AOC, or Tulsi Gabbard, our upcoming leaders, if this country ever comes to its senses.

Yes, I know, that’s probably asking a lot, that last bit . . . but it’s how it occurred to me, reading this piece.

4 Likes

The massacre of Muslims in New Zealand was a horrific crime against humanity particularly given that, in addition to murdering innocent men, women, and children, Tarrant took pleasure in torturing people before killing them.

On seeing a screenshot of the cover of manifesto, I was struck by the following principles he identifies: Workers Rights, Anti-Imperialism, and Environmentalism.

The opening of his manifesto goes on to say:

“It’s the birthrates.
It’s the birthrates.
It’s the birthrates.”
(https://ia601506.us.archive.org/35/items/TheGreatReplacementNewZealandShooter_201903/The-Great-Replacement-New-Zealand-Shooter.pdf)

Clearly, Tarrant has dehumanized Muslims to such an extent that he has no problem brutally torturing and murdering masses of Muslim men, women, and children. Disturbingly, I have seen increasingly militant and dehumanizing rhetoric among some who advocate for workers rights, among some who promote measures to prevent overpopulation, among some who advocate for environmentalism, and among some who promote radical atheism. That is not to say that these folk will degenerate into sociopaths like Tarrant. Those of us committed to progressive social change should also insisting on humanization of all people, even those with whom we disagree. Progressives can contribute to a more healthy social environment by focusing on the problems with social structures rather than the problems with individuals whose behavior is shaped by those social structures.

3 Likes

It seems that most mass killers have histories known by officials at schools, policing agencies, or by neighbors, relatives or acquaintances. When do we start taking threats seriously enough to stop these acts before they happen.
We have no civil rights anymore, so spying and invasion of privacy should be no excuse to not intervene with questioning and searches.

1 Like

I hope someone posts the Beatles “Happy Birthday” for you today. 3/16

Understand the following. The shooter was an Australian who discovered that weapons unavailable in Australia were easily available in New Zealand.

We all trust that you are now better informed.

3 Likes

This may also be of interest: https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1106471346303754240?s=20
Among those alluded to is the current evangelical Christian conservative leader of the current Australian Federal coalition government that currently trails the opposition Labor Party by 8 points with an election due in May.

The presenter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waleed_Aly

The title of song is just ‘Birthday’. John Lennon later remarked that it was “It was a piece of garbage.”

Thanks.

He also had an I.e.d… that was thankfully disarmed… that ain’t legal anywhere.

Whatever a murderer that kills babies as they pray
espoused as his beliefs is absolutely bullshit… he’s a white supremacist douche bag, this we know without a doubt.

1 Like

[quote=“Pissingnariver, post:18, topic:61365”]

How much better is it to slaughter innocent folk who are not praying?

There is no dearth of supremacists willing to killed innocent civilians. Take, for example, the US / coalition of the willing never ending worldwide terrorism wars. In the name of “freedom” and “democracy”.lots of folk from Western nations have waged war and slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women, children in many Muslim nations and in the global South.

Which is more effective, going after each individual supremacist or trying to eliminate the systemic structures that produce supremacists?

2 Likes

It’s a title piece like give peace a chance. Enjoy.

Thanks for the correction. I believe there were a number of songs that John Lennon was not fond of.