Home | About | Donate

Vowing to Be 'Fully Accountable' to Movement, Ocasio-Cortez Joins Biden's Climate Crisis Task Force

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/13/vowing-be-fully-accountable-movement-ocasio-cortez-joins-bidens-climate-crisis-task

3 Likes

Does anyone here on CD’s really believe Joe Biden thought of this?
Who are the main orchestrators of his campaign? Seriously ???

There is no way he has the mental capacity for this and even if he did initiate this on his own volition, I agree with Christo Aivalis who stated:

“New Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden Task forces are a TRAP for Progressives”:

(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb3t3m9EdWw

Earlier today, Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden announced their joint task forces for key policy discussions in the run up to the 2020 Presidential election. These task forces include key Bernie Sanders supporters like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) and Pramila Jayapal.

But while including Bernie Sanders people is a good political move for Joe Biden, this will be a dead end for the left, because it will co-opt their energies and will have them act as rubber stamps for Biden.

There is also an indication that talking about fundamental policies like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal won’t be on the table.

21 Likes

I’m anxious to see the outcome of this unity task force.

If I had to make a prediction, especially considering the hollow LOTE rhetoric from Sunrise Movement co-founder, Varshini Prakash, I’d advise the progressives on the task force to practice this line:

“Thanks for the crumbs.”

18 Likes

Task forces are where ideas go to die. Meanwhile the DNC is hoping to primary AOC and get their corporate whore into her place. That shows how much they value her input.

29 Likes

June 3, 2008, Barack Obama:

Remember this?

generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth .

It kinda didn’t happen.

24 Likes

Excellent point about the DNC wanting to primary AOC!

I must commend you once again trumptowerofBabel for your incisive comments. You cut through the crap and get right to the core. Bravo!

I have been on “task forces” and participated in the hospice care of ideas.

8 Likes

Oldest trick in the book - get the rube to “kiss the ring” and then they will forever have your stink on them.

When the primary occurs, this will be used against her.

12 Likes

That’s what his lips were saying. His thoughts were saying: “this was the moment I’ve screwed you all royally in exchange for a book deal and some highly paid speeches”

5 Likes

So far I’d say AOC may be immune to getting bought. We’ll know soon.

4 Likes

Ah yes, Prophet Obama, the self-professed “One we’ve all been waiting for…” (One and the same that put cuts to SS on the table w/republicans and negotiated from the bottom up instead of top down, etc.)

4 Likes

The most egregious example of Obama negotiating from the bottom occured during Obama’s first week in office when he secretly met with former Congressman turned drug industry lobbyist Billy Tauzin to launch a year of crafting the corporate welfare program disguised as health care reform, authored by revolving door champion Liz Fowler.

9 Likes

You know . . I hate to be so cranky and negative. There were times I had enthusiasm if not optimism (decades ago).

Some might see these little task forces as something positive.
I don’t.

Can’t even think of something that would be a positive sign/action of movement away from collapse of the u.s. (and beyond).

If anyone has any signs of movement in a positive direction (“common dreams”) away from oligarchy and fascism that would be wonderful to see----other than “voting green” or “writing in Bernie”

I think I’m extra cranky this morning after the latest cretin victory in Wisconsin (Tom Tiffany until at least November).

Many here have suggested being involved at the local level is the only thing worth throwing oneself into.
This one (the trump/Tiffany win by a fairly large margin) really stings though Tricia Zunker really didn’t have a chance. Gerrymandering and idiocy rule here in N. Wisconsin.

9 Likes

I am so pleased AOC has gotten herself elected and getting herself in a position to keep ideas I like in the discussion. She is working the inside game and preparing herself and her colleagues for changing times just like her mentor Bernie Sanders has done for decades. It is up to us to be the change agents from the outside. I don’t think for a minute she will be any less of a people’s leader than she has been so far, and there is zero evidence for anyone to prejudge this remarkable member of the People’s House. She is amazing and look forward to her and our next accomplishments.

1 Like

Among 435 House members AOC is the only one to shine a light on Pelosi & Company’s CARES travesties.

Although I live on the opposite coast I will be sending AOC campaign money to fight the DNC’s primary challenger (who was a GOP operative until she signed on with the DNC), and I will buy an AOC24 bumper sticker as soon as they hit the market.

7 Likes

I hope the people for their sakes the people posting the anti-AOC, anti-Biden comments are being paid by the Republicans or the oil barons whose interests they are serving by trying to undermine opposition to the Trump regime

1 Like

I get being bummed and I have been cynical since Jack Kennedy was murdered. It is tempting to say the “sky is falling” all the time, but that doesn’t do any good. It is easy to complain, but it is hard to get off one’s ass. If this shit was easy, we could use remote controls to get things done. Common Dreams takes work like any thing else worth while.

1 Like

Something I posted at alternet, that is appropriate here:

That so laughably trivializes the mess that we (the US, the world, humanity, the biosphere) are in. Capitalism has doomed Constitutional democracy, with the willing cooperation of NeoCons/NeoLibs of both blue and red color; not Trump. He’s just the most recent symptom; Reagan, Bush, Cheney, Obomber, Biden, and Killary are previous symptoms and causes. Andrew Yang was dead-on right on this score.

Degradation of our Constitutional democracy was WELL underway WELL before Trump, and may not be the least of our worries, but it certainly isn’t our biggest.

Biden has shown (after 8 years co-residence in the Whitehouse) that he couldn’t care less about the approaching Climate Catastrophe, but protecting the privilege and fortunes of the wealthy, and safeguarding cutthroat NeoLiberal Capitalism was very much at the top of their priority list (witness the great Bailout fraud of 2009, and the draconian clamp-down on Occupy).

Meantime, the Methane Hydrates (Clathrates) are poised to release, and when they do - as they assuredly will soon, and as they have in the past - expect temperature rises of 10+ degrees CELSIUS in as little as 10 YEARS. That’s in the ocean bed record off Greenland. And methane is 10’s of times its normal amount already NOW in the arctic. The process has begun. Can it be turned around? Not with ANYTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING THE STATUS QUO.

You are talking about electing a new deck-chair organizer on the fantail of the Titanic.

Without radical change on multiple fronts - economic, political, industrial, financial - and immediately - we will be facing … well, I don’t have to type the rest, but it’s vastly worse than fascism. And the “Constitution” will be of little use to you in what’s coming. Trump is not radical change, Biden is not radical change, they are both pedal-to-the-metal down the capitalist rat-hole to Hell advocates.

Sanders offered a slim chance to pull this thing out of its terminal dive.

Failing even that slim chance, prepare for anarchy… followed by much, much worse. COVID19 is a happy little cake walk compared to what’s glowering stage right.

When you wake up to smell the hydrogen sulfide from the anoxic dying oceans, you’ll know what I mean… for a (very) short time.

Go ahead, whoop it up for Biden, for the fat lot of good it will do you.

17 Likes

I am pleased with AOC for the most part as well. I was less than pleased with her response regarding the Tara Reade allegation and am hoping that will evolve/change.

Regarding her “working the inside game”----

The notion of this being a “game” I find offensive as people, ecosystems are dying right now and the planet may soon be rendered uninhabitable by humans with the u.s. the driving force of sociopathic capitalism throughout the planet.

So far, playing the “inside game” has not gotten the u.s. where we needed to be decades ago. And I’m not convinced it can ever be changed from within the duopoly.

We’ve run out of time. It’s not a game.

11 Likes

the singular and only initial objective of any realistic climate task force is the elimination of all neoliberal politicians from government. No real effective changes will be made until that is completed. It can start with Biden, one of the most neoliberal politicians in the democrat party.

3 Likes

Typo? ‘Can’ or ‘Can’t’?