Home | About | Donate

Vulture Capitalists Circle Above Puerto Rico Prey

Vulture Capitalists Circle Above Puerto Rico Prey

protester holds sign that say end colonialism in Puerto Rico
Bill Moyers

As people in Puerto Rico are dying and President Trump lashes out at San Juan's mayor, Bill talks with social anthropologist Yarimar Bonilla about the challenges Puerto Ricans face in the wake of the storm.

Bill Moyers deserves credit for an outstanding interview here. I wish everyone in the U.S. would read this carefully and thoughtfully. First, it would teach them more about the unique relationships between
our Government and Puerto Rico than they will ever get from mainstream media. Secondly, it will make you a believer in “The Shock Doctrine”, if you had any doubts. Lastly, it will erase any questions about who our “democracy” really serves, and the depths of greed and corruption which result.

Two links you might be interested in - I sure learned a lot:

This one - short and to the point:

And this one - more in depth - about the Taino -the pre1493 contact people of much of the Greater Antilles:

There is more info on Wikipedia - see Puerto Rico

Vulture capitalists circle above Puerto Rico. Is this what Trump means when says good news?

Thanks. I enjoyed both!

Thanks very much. One thing I was wondering is why they say very little about Jamaica and never include the the Cayman Islands that are a part of the Greater Antilles. (a British Commonwealth). Aside, from the having a distinct advantage of being a British protectorate, citizens have dual citizenship.

I see a few parallels here in the U.S. too. I think we are all in for some “good news”

And this, Puerto Rico is in no mans land.

The U.S. Supreme Court offers two ways in which incorporation could be made: "incorporation is not to be assumed without express declaration, or an implication so strong as to exclude any other view."
Express or implied?

In Balzac,[22] where Chief Justice William Howard Taft delivered the opinion of the Court, the meaning of “implied” was specified:

Had Congress intended to take the important step of changing the treaty status of Puerto Rico by incorporating it into the Union, it is reasonable to suppose that it would have done so by the plain declaration, and would not have left it to mere inference. Before the question became acute at the close of the Spanish War, the distinction between acquisition and incorporation was not regarded as important, or at least it was not fully understood and had not aroused great controversy. Before that, the purpose of Congress might well be a matter of mere inference from various legislative acts; but in these latter days, incorporation is not to be assumed without express declaration, or an implication so strong as to exclude any other view.

Sorry; but, Petr Kropotkin’s (Russian 1842-1921) anarcho-communist makes perfect sense after hearing from Professor Yarimar Bonilla. Don’t believe what a capitalist has to say about anarcho-communist, with their stories of Molotov Cocktails, and broken shop windows, expand your mind beyond. Read Mr. Kropotkin’s work at the Anarchist Library, or check his Wikipedia page, he’s no dummy. Finally, Pink Floyds “Pigs on the Wing part 1 and 2” comes to mind, and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd who wrote it says “its message is wider reaching more general…if we don’t care for one another and have empathy for one another, then all we’re left with is this…crap.”

From Real News:

It is time to put our collective anger to use.

You bet !

No matter what it is called, a colony is still a colony.

Yeah, The U.S government bought the Virgin Islands from a long list of previous owners. For Puerto Rico it took a war. There seems to be more territorial disputes to come too. Someone really needs to think of a better way.

If anyone thinks that privatization is the solution to anything, take a look at what exGov Goodhair’s privatization has done to TX. Electric and water rates are two to three times what they were prior to privatization and the service is worse. Road tolls are popping up everywhere and roads are falling apart without repair. Indeed Goodhair’s solution at one time was to turn asphalt roads into gravel roads. Our public education system never was all that good, but with the introduction of privatization, charter schools are going up everywhere and corruption, mismanagement and incompetence is closing them almost as fast.

When I read such a negative accusatory story, I am prompted to double-check the facts by comparison. In this case comparison would be with the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. Things are bad in Puerto Rico. How bad are they in the Virgin Islands, and what’s the difference?

I have to question some of Ms. Bonilla’s statements about the Jones Act. As I understand it, the Dominican Republic can ship goods directly to Puerto Rico. Those goods have to pay import tariffs at the port of San Juan or Ponce or Mayaguez, just like they would have to pay import tariffs if shipped to Jacksonville FL. So it is ‘cheaper’ to ship US sourced goods from Jacksonville than Dominican Republic goods from Santo Domingo. Why is that? [This, incidentally, is an argument for freer trade between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.]

Next, Ms. Bonilla speaks about proposals to increase taxes on Wal-Mart in Puerto Rico. Wal-Mart speaks, if that should happen, of pulling out of Puerto Rico, so it hasn’t happened. Question: Why shouldn’t those taxes be increased, and if Wal-Mart pulls out tell them “Good bye, and good riddance.” ? Wouldn’t locally owned bodegas serve the people better?

Last, where is their own self-resilience? Where is their own ‘Cajun Navy’? If this hurricane had struck impoverished Dominican Republic instead, would they have handled it better, or worse?