Home | About | Donate

Waffling on Single-Payer and Trump Resistance, Feinstein Faces Angry Boos

Waffling on Single-Payer and Trump Resistance, Feinstein Faces Angry Boos

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

It's not only Republicans that are feeling the heat in their hometowns during this congressional recess. Democrats who aren't on board with increasingly popular progressive proposals are being held to account as well.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) was a case-in-point on Monday, when she faced angry and vocal constituents at a midday town hall meeting in her hometown of San Francisco.

'When asked about her position on such a system, Feinstein responded: "If single-payer healthcare is going to mean the complete takeover by the government of all healthcare, I am not there."'

When you have no good defense for your position, erect straw men and play dumb!

All else aside, Ms. Feinstein will be 85 if she chooses to stay on and try for yet another 6 year senate term in 2018.

It's hard to justify that, under any circumstance.

Another "liberal" (sarc) legislator whose "pull date" is vastly way past.
"They (she doesn't) still don't get it!"

She is well past her "sell by date!"

I'm not voting for her again. We need some young progressive blood!!!

I've wondered for years who voted for this capitalist scum which poses as democrats. She and her hubby are filthy rich, and their retention of their money comes before all else. She "lacks all conviction".

the D-Party. It's a big tent.

Big enough to hold filthy rich corporate sell-outs who get everything they want.

Big enough to hold hippies. If, that is, they sit in the corner and STFU.

I'm starting with a third party puptent. I'll help build from there.

She is displaying her ignorance of the term single payer. It does not mean that Senators write prescriptions. It does not mean that the government owns the hospitals (That is socialized medicine, like in Great Britain or the U.S.Veterans' Administration). Single payer means that all healthcare is paid from a single public fund, as is Medicare. The private delivery of medicine remains intact. SP is improved Medicare for all.

Feinstein is an obscurantist attempting to cloud the issue.

"If single-payer healthcare is going to mean the complete takeover by the government of all healthcare, I am not there."

The health care debate is about insurance.

Feinstein's age is not the problem. She is a corporatist and has been in office through many years of the US holocaust without becoming a voice for peace, health and an economic system that does not destroy Earth.

I don't get it. On one hand, it hard to believe she is so stupid or misinformed to not know what Single Payer means. So dahlia11's post (erect straw men and play dumb) is the only explanation I can understand for her comment.

I think roughly 2/3 of the democrats supported Trump's illegal and pointless Syria action. It's going to take a lot of work to reform this party, but I hope people working the "inside" strategy don't give up - if we can get more people like Tulsi Gabbard in there and less like Feinstein and Dean, we'd have a party to get excited about. Quotes like this one from Feinstein though make it perfectly clear to those working the "outside" strategy why they gave up on the Democrats already.

"is going to mean the complete takeover by the government of all healthcare"

Not clouding the issue, not showing her ignorance, not 'erecting a strawman.'

This is red baiting. This is Republican-speak.

[edit - what can i be thinking - and, of course, it is Cold War liberal-speak too.]

Empty echoes across an imaginary chasm. Feinstein fails to realize that we are all learning to scale the steep precipice she and her ilk keep attempting to construct. You know, the one that is now a derivative of a derivative of a derivative of a lie built on one doozey of a mistake.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Dianne! Fingers crossed the next Senator from California is young, a womanist, a person of color, from a disadvantaged background, and proudly left. (And I almost forgot the most important factor: an actual human being.) All things Feinstein is not.

Its going to mean the complete takeover by ALL the government for the military.....OOPS! I MEAN HEALTHCARE!

True, nothing to do with her age; and everything to do with Diane being in the party of the obfuscated, fake opposition!

I'd like to see her, and others of her ilk get a fair trial and get a conviction.
;-})

Agreed. Dianne Feinstein is really a Republican only calling herself a Democrat on paper.

What is really important is what is left unsaid.
"If single-payer healthcare is going to mean the complete takeover by the government of all healthcare, I am not there." ("It will cut into my profits!")
;-})