Home | About | Donate

War With Iran

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/05/war-iran

5 Likes

Human beans (human beings), I call us human beans because we have all the intelligence of a bean plant, are doomed. We are unworthy and unable to do what the simplest creature on Earth can do. And that is to live in harmony with our planet and fellow creatures. The bad in us far outweighs the good. The sooner we fade into extinction the better for the Earth. This coming war is just another example of our unfitness.

11 Likes

I mentioned this event in a post yesterday. It’s my effort at a correction and clarification. Outcome remains: US loses.

And this is June 2019 summary from Caspian Report.

3 Likes

All I know, at best right now, is this: with bloviating gas-bags like Trump, PomPEO (those who know Spanish will know why I emphasized that part of his name), Moscow Mitch McConnell, Bolton, Mick Mulvaney, etc., at the helm, we are going down a dark path toward more and more destruction. The elixir of war is to some people like breathable air; they can’t live without it. I will never understand the way the minds of some “people” operate…

7 Likes

“No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy’s main strength” Prussian Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke; or stated more succinctly " “no plan survives contact with the enemy”.

9 Likes

“War” committed by the US in the 21st century lauds its self-referential detail, AI simulation, “full spectrum” saturation of the “theatre” of war on its dualized image “chessboard” masturbation as “enemies” are ginned up and it breathlessly puffs about ‘necessity’. Heads are so far up asses the scent being sucked of fecal fallacies now passes for some delusion that … wait, hold your breath …passes for reality for no other reason than it can be named.

I do not think it possible to overstate the degree of psychosis this ‘niche’ represents. There is no longer any inside-outside to the us-them “enemy” that this mass mental illness begets. We need to meet the enemy, because it is those who are generating this insanity. Why? Because in the process of perpetration of this centuries old delusion, all that exists is the ‘mission’,; all preexisting realities of sustainable life have been subsumed for so long it in fact constitutes deadly psychosis.

6 Likes

Hedges’s final paragraph is particularly powerful. Worth re-reading.

Another thought about his perspective.

Notice how he writes from an objective, disinterested historical viewpoint about military exchanges. That’s surprising–given his background–that he chose not to bring up the religious nationalism infecting so much of Trump’s base. To do so, of course, is to evoke the central casus belli, Holy War. And I’m not sure objective, disinterested viewpoints will dissuade warmongering. We must rediscover a PASSION for peace.

4 Likes

Isn’t it ironic that Iran is the nation that helps the downtrodden–Yemen, Syria, and Lebanon, in particular–while it is the US-Israeli-Saudi axis that oppresses them? If only the evangelicals would READ and COMPREHEND their bibles instead of just thumping them, a modicum a progress might be possible.

13 Likes

Actually we are inherently good it’s not natural for us to kill each other, it might be normal but never is it natural.
Its the folks in power a small percentage thst dictate the story.
You want a peaceful world with humans living in harmony, change the cultural story, change the beliefs .It’s all a lie ,fallacies, myths .We live the story but it’s not true.

Who really wants war ?
We are a primitive species , and there’s too much lower conciousness in power .

9 Likes

We, as citizens, must hold our government accountable for these crimes.

Practically speaking, that almost certainly requires revolutionary change, as the entire government/corporate/media establishment is pretty much entirely on the same Iranophobic page. Any prior doubts about that are extinguished after the disgusting coverage of this so-called targeted killing. Our alternative to bloodthirsty Republicans, at the moment, largely consists of bloodthirsty Democrats. The whole duopoly game continues with more frenzied convulsions, as it wanes into irrelevancy.

11 Likes

" It opens up the possibility of an Armageddon-type scenario relished by the lunatic fringes of the Christian right." I thought Hedges’ last piece at Truthdig (not here at CD) was especially interesting as he spoke of Christian fascists.

2 Likes

Chris could it be worse? That contrary to your hope for neocon rationality
war with Iran is not at all a result of, “two decades of U.S. blunders and miscalculations
in the region,” but a very calculated strategy to keep the region in flames to feed the
military-industrial complex–now that 9/11 has given neocons free reign.

“Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first drive mad” Euripides

13 Likes

Hedges would not disagree with what you posit as Empire’s motivation. However, such an aim requires some degree of proper management. The “blunders and miscalculations” are materially rendering USAmerica’s eternal-war strategy less feasible – so they’re not just pretend blunders.

3 Likes

My guru Paulo Freire says oppression always insinuates a dual nature into the mindset of the oppressed. That’s what hierarchy is for: so the oppressed have others they can oppress in turn, imbibing deep sympathy for the Devil.

2 Likes

As Sanders and Warren Vow to Block War With Iran, Biden and Buttigieg Offer Better-Run Wars

We must do more than just stop war with Iran.

We must firmly commit to ending U.S. military presence in the Middle East in an orderly manner.

We must end our involvement in the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen.

We must bring our troops home from Afghanistan.

— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) January 3, 2020

10 Likes

This otherwise excellent analysis leaves out the biggest reason we treat Iran as public enemy #1:

Iran is the chief bulwark against Israeli and gulf state dominance of the MidEast. They are the chief protectors and leaders of the world’s Shiites, all 180 million of them. as long as Iran supports their Shiite brothers and sisters in Hamas, Hezbollah, Yemen, Syria, and Iraq…Israel and the saudis will demand that the US treat them as enemies.

It didn’t have to be this way. Israel could/should have made a generous peace – from their position of strength – with the Palestinians. Outreach between sectarian clerics could/have been a pillar of reconciling the region long ago. The US could/should have actively spurred a push toward economic inclusion in the region. But the US purposely foments instability instead – and now it’s devolved into a very risky game of brinksmanship.

9 Likes

Pretty much every person who voted for Trump. If they don’t want war, why do they keep buying guns? Who are the people talking about a new Civil War if Trump is held accountable for his crimes?

5 Likes

Yes, i wanted to emphasize this from Hedges’ closing:

“The United States, like Israel, has become a pariah that shreds, violates or absents itself from international law. We launch preemptive wars, which under international law is defined as a “crime of aggression,” based on fabricated evidence. We, as citizens, must hold our government accountable for these crimes. If we do not, we will be complicit in the codification of a new world order, one that would have terrifying consequences. It would be a world without treaties, statutes and laws. It would be a world where any nation, from a rogue nuclear state to a great imperial power, would be able to invoke its domestic laws to annul its obligations to others. Such a new order would undo five decades of international cooperation—largely put in place by the United States—and thrust us into a Hobbesian nightmare. Diplomacy, broad cooperation, treaties and law, all the mechanisms designed to civilize the global community, would be replaced by savagery.”

Analysis and commentary are useful and important, but without imposing consequences on “our leaders” we are ineffectual at stopping war.

We must take up the understanding and obligation to engage, and to resist, and to interfere.

5 Likes

Fuck the Israelis and ALL the US citizens that hold “dual” citizenship with the US & Israel. I can only hope that the soldiers for this war will be all the fucking hillbilly southern supporters of Trump.

2 Likes

“So why go to war with Iran? Why walk away from a nuclear agreement that Iran did not violate? Why demonize a government …”

We do it (particularly against Iraq, Syria, Iran) largely for Israel because politics in the U.S. has been thoroughly corrupted by its lobby with the collusion of (non-majority) vested interests like the military-industrial complex, and evangelical fruit-cakes. .

As a politician it’s easier to side with AIPAC and be financially supported by Israeli interests, than to stand for what’s best for American and look for that funding and support elsewhere.

This couldn’t be made much clearer than the Trump withdrawal of the U.S. from the Iran nuclear deal, a withdrawal bulldozed on by the loudmouth huckster Bibi Netanyahu. Other examples of the U.S. pandering (or submitting) to Israel influence abound.

5 Likes