Home | About | Donate

Warning Against Sham 'Cover-Up to Protect Trump,' Progressives Pressure McConnell to Hold Fair Senate Impeachment Trial

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/19/warning-against-sham-cover-protect-trump-progressives-pressure-mcconnell-hold-fair

Yeah but: Mitch is not only dirty but arrogant and not the brightest legal bulb so it’s entirely possible (if not probabable) that he does something that ends up exposing himself to criminal liability.

4 Likes

At the he beginning of the Watergate investigations in 1973, both the house and the senate voted overwhelmingly to proceed with hearings (the senate voted 77-0, the house had over 400 votes). Like today, both houses were pretty much equally divided, yet Nixon’s fellow republicans voted to investigate their president, and this happened long before the release of the “tapes” or even John Deans “cancer on the presidency” testimony. So what has changed in the American body politic in the nearly fifty years since Watergate?
Money.
Starting with Buckley v Valeo in the mid 1970’s, and more recently with Citizens United and the McCutcheon case, the SCOTUS told Americans, particularly the rich ones, that they could own politicians. Politicians no longer have to pay any attention to their constituents, as none of them can afford to finance and mount an opposition to them anybody longer.
What you are seeing from the Senate is simply an expression of the the new normal in American politics. Senators are owned by large corporations and wealthy oligarchs (in truth, senators always have been, they are just brazen about it now) They will vote however those oligarchs want. Knowing that, Trump will be POTUS until the oligarchy tells us he’s not.

14 Likes

All well and good. But who’s going to stop him? The slack jawed rabble of Kentucky?
You’ll excuse me if I don’t hold my breath.

1 Like

I love how Krystal Ball, from The Hill’s Rising program, summed up the cause for impeachment as for ‘delaying the delivery of Javelin missiles to Ukraine’. Total right wing imperialist reason for impeachment.

4 Likes

“Dems impeach Trump for E̶m̶o̶l̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ v̶i̶o̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶, Y̶e̶m̶e̶n̶i̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶o̶c̶i̶d̶e̶, ̶C̶o̶n̶c̶e̶n̶t̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ c̶a̶m̶p̶s̶, ̶B̶r̶i̶b̶e̶r̶y̶, ̶T̶h̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ c̶h̶a̶r̶i̶t̶i̶e̶s̶, ̶V̶i̶o̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶
Phone call.”

No they chose an ambiguous phone call, sure it was inappropriate, worthy of censure not impeachment. This is a gift to Trump. And the precedent set will probably lead to impeachment mania in the future. Clinton was payback for Nixon, … will be payback for Trump, and on and on,

4 Likes

This is a very smart move. Don’t send impeachment to the corrupt Senate until Moscow/China Mitch agrees to a real trial with Trump, Mulvaney and the other criminals forced to testify.

3 Likes

All of that should have been included plus the fact that he is a known sexual predator certainly unbecoming a president which includes a majority of women. They need to draw up these articles of impeachment also.

From the Hill:

Despite repeated attempts by reporters to press her on timing, Pelosi declined to commit to sending the two articles of impeachment — abuse of power and obstruction of Congress — across the Capitol, essentially putting the process in limbo as it looms unfinished over the Senate and White House.

Pelosi and her fellow Democrats have been skeptical that the GOP-controlled Senate will conduct a fair and impartial trial, especially after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — who would essentially serve as jury foreman in the trial — conceded that it would not.

It might be a good idea not to send them at this time as we already know that under Mitch there will not be a fair trial. They got what they wanted and made their point: Threat to the Constitution and democracy.

“I’m not impartial about this at all,” he told reporters Tuesday. (Mitch)

1 Like

The Senate has its standards. I expect this trial to be every bit as thorough, fair and upstanding as the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation process.

12 Likes

I posted this on “The Post” — still waiting for the “Times” to accept my similar commentary:

Since Emperor Trump has been rightly and Constitutionally impeached for ‘Abuse of Power’ and ‘Obstruction of Congress’, it would seem entirely reasonable that any knowledgeable and honest element of the ‘Fourth Estate’ — particularly the opinion leading newspapers of record, including the NY “Times” and “The Post”, should act as courageously as they both did in printing the “Pentagon Papers” and the “Afghanistan Papers” — should also feel free under the First Amendment to be equally honest with ‘we the American people’ to commence employing the accurate term “Emperor Trump” (rather than just Trump, Donald Trump, Mr. Trump, or certainly not President Trump) as a courageous and honest warning to the American people and all the world, that there is not just “a cancer on the Presidency” (as was said of Nixon), but also a malignant and fast metastasizing cancer of Empire within our ‘body politic’ which is so hot and promotionally violent as to overshadow even our global warming climate destruction and bring about a nuclear “winter of our discontent”.

IMHO, only by recognizing, sending out the alarm, and standing firm astride that ‘Rude Bridge’ (as our founders and farmers did 244 years ago) can we now peacefully fire a; loud, public, sustained, ‘in-the-streets’, but totally Non-violent “Shout (not shot) heard round the world” to ignite a people’s peaceful and complete new American “Political/economic & social Revolution Against Empire and Emperors”.

1 Like

Alternatively, they could go ahead with it, and then impeach Mitch if he follows through on the threat.

2 Likes

Where were the dems when Moscow Mitch withheld Obama’s lightweight republican choice for supreme court? Where have the dems been and not beating the drum of Moscow Mitch obstruction of 49 bills he holds that the house approved? That should really be outlawed that one man has so much power. Many of these bills are for protecting and benefiting the people.

The dems are hopeless

8 Likes

We all need to take a few weeks break from DC.
Spend a few holy weeks with family.
On the humor side:
Imagine that Mitch is Charlie Brown, lined up to kick a field goal.
Nancy as Lucy, is holding the ball in place, awaiting his perfect placement thru the uprights.
Then,
And then,
She yanks the ball away at the very last second.

We only know that this governance is all bad.

2 Likes

Pelosi is correct to hold back on the charges being handed over to the Senate. She knows, as we all do, the charges will be dismissed immediately, or after a very short show trial. DT wants his show and may get it with his witnesses, fans, ranting, lies, etc. as that is who he is. McConnell would be wise to stop that in its tracks as DT will surely hang himself AGAIN as he keeps doing. He just can’t stop himself. Personally, I hope Pelosi (who I am no fan of) never turns it over to the Senate and rides out the clock to the election. She knows what is coming from the Senate, so, what’s the point? Doing that will drive them all more insane, and send DT over the cliff. Go for it. Do the right thing.

7 Likes

I’m writing my senator saying the same thing I said to my representative- both of which are republican. “Either you vote for loyalty to your country or you vote for loyalty to your political party. If you vote to impeach, you vote for law and order and loyalty to your country. If you vote to not impeach, you vote against law and order and for your political party. Are you loyal to your country or a traitor?”

Now dear progressives, please spill your poison on me and tell me why I should not have written such to my representative/senator… I am your punching bag.

2 Likes

Your sarcasm kills me. I think I puked a little in the back of my mouth.

2 Likes

The only other person who may be able to insure a fair trial is the Chief Justice.

And, I wouldn’t put too much faith in him.

1 Like

Which is worse, a poison pill that you throw up or one that somehow gets stuck in your throat?

This means that outstanding criminal impeachment charges are lodged against Trump while the courts strike down “executive privilege” and half of Trump’s remaining associates are then dragged before the House Intelligence Committee or else nailed with felonies. Orange is the new red.

1 Like

Holding up the charges will keep Bernie and Warren off the campaign trail. Primaries and Super Tuesday are just around the corner. This senate trial will result in nothing. Be careful what you wish for.
The democrats have no moral authority to impeach him for HIS legitimate crimes. So instead it’s about a phone call and holding up missile delivery to a corrupt country in which the US engineered a coup. This entire sh$t show is helping Trump. He now has a trade deal and a budget deal with wall money to brag to his base.

Bernie 2020

2 Likes

It is too bad that the impeachment concerned digging up dirt on another unsavory politician, many feel that wrongs were done by both parties.