Home | About | Donate

Warning: GOP Can Appoint a Supreme Court Justice in Time to Confirm Trump's Second Term

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/22/warning-gop-can-appoint-supreme-court-justice-time-confirm-trumps-second-term

If the November 3 election results boil down to a single state’s results, lets hope the Democrats challenge the result, unlike their failing to challenge election results in Florida in 2000, thereby giving SCOTUS the power to appoint and anoint.

Concurrent with the self styled “constitutional law expert” POTUS’ stint the GOP demonstrated (and continue to demonstrate) real constitutional law expertise by gaming the system that was rigged by the constitution and other founding fathers’ actions while said POTUS either never had a clue or was complicit.

3 Likes

The Real People didn’t fuss when Nixon was pardoned. Instead they voted for Raygun! In masses! That’s all the far right wingers needed to know; that they could do anything and the Real People would simply bend down and take it in the shorts.
Totalitarian regimes don’t just appear. They take a long time to develop. The seed for this one was planted in the guts of the Constitution, that gave private property more rights than people and made sure the Elites always ruled by forming the Electoral College. That was right out of Machiavelli-they didn’t trust the commoners to be able to govern, so they made sure the popular vote was gelded right out of the gate.
I just bought a HUGE book(almost a thousand pages) called Reaganland by Rick Perlstein that meticulously documents how We The People drove hard right off of a cliff. There’s even a chapter titled “Meanness”! That will be my winter reading. And, yes, I bought the other hot books such as Rage, Hatemonger, and The Fifth Risk, making sure I had the soothing balm of two volumes of Billy Collins’s poetry and the immortal Eudora Welty’s The Optimist’s Daughter(if you ever want to read about how a funeral can go horribly wrong, this is the book).
A happy Autumnal Equinox to all(Mabon for Wiccans/Pagans).

1 Like

The entertainment lawyer has provided the USA young people something to talk about tonight from 5:30 to 9 pm in restaurants and bars.

“even seize absentee ballots.” = NO, who has federal authority ?? The states have control over voting within their boundaries.

There are over 3,300 county locations that have ballots. The likely contested states will be Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, maybe Kentucky.

The author forgot to give us the tie in electoral votes that the house of representatives take over.

1 Like

Will the second American civil war begin in earnest when trump and his enablers steal this election?