Home | About | Donate

Warning of 'Dangerous Chilling' of Free Press, CNN Sues Trump for Stripping Acosta's Press Credentials

Warning of 'Dangerous Chilling' of Free Press, CNN Sues Trump for Stripping Acosta's Press Credentials

Jake Johnson, staff writer

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates...

Accusing President Donald Trump of violating the First and Fifth Amendments by stripping press credentials from its chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta, CNN on Tuesday sued Trump and several of his top aides and demanded "an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim."

Hey, CNN, it’s nice you’re looking out for your boy Acosta and all, but take the time to check out Chris Hedges’ article on what’s being done to a real journalist, Julian Assange.

10 Likes

Bang on. I grow rather tired of the 50 to 0ne articles whining about Acosta as this same press is sielnt on Assange if not calling for his prosecution outright.

5 Likes

That is the problem, Julian Assange is not CNN’s boy!

2 Likes

After all the work CNN put in to get the man elected i suppose they figured they had earned some security.

2 Likes

Their news is so pro-corporate, watered down, and selective, maybe they should just stick to hurricanes and tornadoes. That said, I hope this lawsuit has some teeth, enough to shut up the dumptruck and send Acosta back in to face the she-devil and her boss.

On Trump:
“Even despots accept the excellence of liberty. The simple truth is that they wish to keep it for themselves and promote the idea that no one else is at all worthy of it.”
-Alexis de Tocqueville-

“and there is always a temptation to claim that any book whose tendency one disagrees with must be a bad book from a literary point of view. People of strongly nationalistic outlook often perform this sleight of hand without being conscious of dishonesty.”

“Some nationalists are not far from schizophrenia, living quite happily amid dreams of power and conquest which have no connection with the physical world.”
-George Orwell- “Notes on Nationalism”

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
-John Milton- “Areopagitica”

John Stuart Mill’s “On Liberty”, published in 1859, became a classic defence of the right to freedom of expression. Mill argued that truth drives out falsity, therefore the free expression of ideas, true or false, should not be feared.

In 1501 Pope Alexander VI issued a Bill against the unlicensed printing of books and in 1559 the Index Expurgatorius, or List of Prohibited Books, was issued for the first time, In response to the rise of the printing press, and the supposed heresies it purportedly helped spread.

The Index Expurgatorius was administered by the Roman Inquisition, but enforced by local government authorities, and went through 300 editions. Amongst others, it banned or censored books written by René Descartes, Giordano Bruno, Galileo Galilei, David Hume, John Locke, Daniel Defoe, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Voltaire, and other Enlightenment-era authors and figures.

3 Likes

Freedom for one means freedom for all.
“Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess.”
-Thomas Paine- “Rights of Man”

Perhaps you should research the underlying ownership of most all media.
CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and many other are largely owned by the same largest institutional firms.
Check morningstar.com for proof.

It’s all corporate B.S.

If you haven’t, read “The New Media Monopoly” by Ben Bagdikian.

“Five global firms ‘operating with many of the characteristics of a cartel’ own
most book publishers, newspapers, magazines, movie studios, radio stations
and TV stations in the United States.
Time Warner
Walt Disney
New Corporation (Murdoch)
Viacom
Bertelsmann (Germany)”

“The ‘product’ of media are entertainment, news and political programs and
the big 5 indulge in mutual aid and share investments in the same product.”

“The Big 5 have interlocking members on their boards of directors (ex. News
Corp, Disney, Viacom and Time Warner have 45 interlocking directors).”

Ever stop to consider the same corporations that are offering the entertainment (movies, television, etc.) are also offering the “news”?

The corporate media keep followers of the “left” and “right” busily distracted, blaming & fighting each other over who’s to blame, and which “sides” corrupted leader is most to blame.
Meanwhile, the .001 percent, those whom control these shareholding firms, largely escape accountability, whilst they continue to profit off special-interest legislation.

"Regardless whether “Dem” or “GOP”, the WTID wealth inequality index has continued a steep rise.
The same ultra-wealthy continue to gain ever-more wealth, the same ultra-powerful gain ever-more power.
Meanwhile, the rest of us continue to lose pace to highly under-reported inflation, as we continue to lose ever more rights, freedoms, liberties, and justice.

“If we should find ourselves beholden to some other, imagined authority, this can only mean that we have constructed the conditions of our own slavery”

The “Liberals” and “Conservatives” have more in common that the elite will ever allow them to realize (the natural rights of humans, the rejection of the “Divine Rights of Kings”, rule of the PEOPLE, rejection of aristocracy, etc.).
The .001 percent control the masses, via the use of propaganda, in their highly-concentrated media.

“In cities [democracies] men cannot be prevented from concerting together, and from awakening a mutual excitement which prompts sudden and passionate resolutions. Cities may be looked upon as large assemblies, of which all the inhabitants are members; their populace exercises a prodigious influence upon the magistrates, and frequently executes its own wishes without their intervention.”
-Alexis de Tocqueville-

2 Likes

“What is happening to Assange should terrify the press. And yet his plight is met with indifference and sneering contempt. Once he is pushed out of the embassy, he will be put on trial in the United States for what he published. This will set a new and dangerous legal precedent that the Trump administration and future administrations will employ against other publishers, including those who are part of the mob trying to lynch Assange. The silence about the treatment of Assange is not only a betrayal of him but a betrayal of the freedom of the press itself. We will pay dearly for this complicity.”

Chris Hedges

2 Likes

“First they came for Wikileaks, and I said nothing because…”

3 Likes

Margaret Kimberley on Jim Acosta not defending Sam Husseini:

“Chilling…” my arse.

Anyone remember GW Bush and then Obama after him conducting their choreographed press conferences? Only pre-selected press corps members were called on to ask their pre-screened questions. Bush/Obama read their names off a list from the podium - ferchrist’ssakes.

As for Obama, he rarely conducted a press conference and on the rare occasion he did, he would often turn his back and walk out of the room as “reporters” hurled (soft-ball) questions at his back. Trump, on the other hand, will take questions forever. And Trump is correct, the neoliberal press corps does badger him. And to what end? It changes nothing and hardens his support.

It is all right to point out Trump’s “misconceptions” (lies), which I suspect originate from ignorance rather than deliberate (yes, some are), but most are not. I’d have more respect for the White House press corps if they treated both the blue and red teams the same, but no, once Obama was in office many of Bush’s indiscretions (many considered illegal or unethical) Obama continued and/or expanded and was never put to the test by the White House press corps again. If that isn’t one-sided then I don’t know what is.

Any “reporter” worth anything upsets the status quo. The reason Assange is under lock and key, where he cannot do anything – including use a computer, is that he is a threat to the status quo. Look where it got him. Assange exposed corruption, took down a bank and overturned a government – can’t have that now, can we? Jim Acosta was wrestled out of a mic and put on a timeout, big woo.

1 Like