Home | About | Donate

Warning of 'Existential Threat' to Humanity, UN Chief Says Climate Change 'Moving Faster Than We Are'

Warning of 'Existential Threat' to Humanity, UN Chief Says Climate Change 'Moving Faster Than We Are'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Warning that "we face a direct existential threat" from "the defining issue of our time," United Nations Secretary General António Guterres declared in a speech at the U.N.'s New York headquarters on Monday, "Climate change is moving faster than we are."

“Scientists have been telling us for decades. Over and over again. Far too many leaders have refused to listen. Far too few have acted with the vision the science demands,” Guterres noted Monday.

Ostrich with head in sand gets ass kicked, film at eleven…

It refreshing to hear some words of wisdom from someone in a leadership position these days. So far the secret for getting people in power to act with the needed urgency has not been found and time is running out.

I would submit that what is needed IS the trillion $ commitment to the bogus war on terror be committed to the real war on terror…THE COMING CLIMATE DISASTERS AND DEVASTATION, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

Listening to Mr. Nader today he said, " we have to start using the phrase " climate disruption " or " climate violence " to describe what the planet is now experiencing.
Additionally, he said " corporate caused climate violence needs to be substituted for the too polite dialogue currently favored.
Nader coated Chomsky, as well, " quit using the words and language of your adversaries ".
Something to think about.

Yes, so true. I would use the narrative of: corporate, environmental, terrorists!

Pentagon pretty much told “W” that in 2004 in a secret memo –
which at that time included “earthquakes” which was later whitewashed.

Now the Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
· Britain will be ‘Siberian’ in less than 20 years
· Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

And of course, it does include Earthquakes and Volcanic activity which will increase due
to the melting of the glaciers which cause a change in the pressures on the tectonic plates.

Dislike those suggestions –

continues to suggest that Nature is our enemy rather than the other way around.

Global Warming disruption or consequences would be more accurate –

and I agree – "QUIT USING THE WORDS AND LANGUAGE OF YOUR ADVERSARIES"

Readopt the use of the term Global Warming which our scientists have used since the 1950’s.

Though possibly even since the start of the Industrial Revolution in the late 1880’s when the
recognized the harm being done to Nature, and especially our trees.

See: “The Dying of the Trees” by Prof. Charles Little

We’ve loaded WAY TOO MUCH industrial carbon into the atmosphere. I just don’t see how we can get out this predicament. It’s far too late to save most life on Earth. I’m just sick to my stomach that we took a perfectly beautiful, once-healthy planet full of diverse ecosystems and tossed it all into the proverbial garbage can. We’re done. Human extinction by mid century.

Nature always bats last, and unfortunately for humanity the pitch we are throwing is a straight slow ball.

True, probably. However, " corporate created climate violence " is mostly likely where are grandchildren are headed. My buddy was in the movie Soylent Green- Yum.

Humans are nothing but clever apes. There isn’t a damn thing about us that is divine…or very intelligent it appears.

Idigenous humans were clever apes, civilized humans are ignorant monkey slaves.

We have lost 10 % of our brains since the majority of us became civilized.
Some try to spin this as made more efficient.
But i dont know how anyone could take this seriously if you compare the depth of u derstanding of an idigenous to a modern technoconsumer.

Thank you so much for the link. Terrorists don’t scare me but articles like this sure as hell do!

Flora and fauna can only hope this comes to pass.

Someone needs to do a detailed study of the value of stocks and bonds in a collapsing world. How the trillions of wealth will shrink into a little desolate safe room or house or underground bunker. Since these idiots only understand $$$, we must speak to them in the language they understand.

Steven – I’ve heard rumored they’re trading it for gold?

Thanks to

Earth may get some relief soon (and it’s not good news for the human race):

Men are doomed. Everybody knows this. We’re obviously all doomed, the women too, everybody in general, just a waiting game until one or another of the stupid things our stupid species is up to finally gets us. But as it turns out, no surprise: men first. Second instance of no surprise: We’re going to take the women down with us.

"… we’re on track instead to void the species entirely. Last summer a group of researchers from Hebrew University and Mount Sinai medical school published a study showing that sperm counts in the U.S., Europe, Australia, and New Zealand have fallen by more than 50 percent over the past four decades. (They judged data from the rest of the world to be insufficient to draw conclusions from, but there are studies suggesting that the trend could be worldwide.) That is to say: We are producing half the sperm our grandfathers did. We are half as fertile.

the human race is apparently on a trend line toward becoming unable to reproduce itself. Sperm counts went from 99 million sperm per milliliter of semen in 1973 to 47 million per milliliter in 2011, and the decline has been accelerating. Would 40 more years—or fewer—bring us all the way to zero?"