Home | About | Donate

Warnings Abound as Trump Wheels and Deals with Despots

Warnings Abound as Trump Wheels and Deals with Despots

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Human rights experts are up in arms over President Donald Trump's embrace of some of the world's most reviled dictators, but as observers are pointing out, the U.S. president's warm words may have as much to do with his business interests as their authoritarian style.

Dancing with dictators is a time-honored, shameful U.S. tradition: Somoza in Nicaragua, the Shah in Iran, Rios Montt in Guatemala, Pinochet in Chile, Suharto in Indonesia, and, when convenient, Saddam Hussein in Iraq, Gadaffi in Libya and Assad in Syria, to name only a handful.

The greed of the Empire ALWAYS has trumped (pun intended) human rights, going back to USMC Major-General Smedley Butler's days as a self-described hired thug for Wall Street, through Wall Street's financing of Hitler's re-arming of Germany in the 1930's and U.S. post- World War II assistance to anyone claiming to be "anti-communist", such as the military in Greece after that war.

It's the way of the Empire: power and profits over people. FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama, and now, Trump, have all followed this brutal, immoral script.

So why are we feigning "surprise" and "shock"?

Better we should dismantle the destructive, anti-human, anti-planet U.S. Empire.

" Money doesn't talk, it screams ". B.Dylan
" America's only real god is money ". Malcolm X
In S. Korea in 2015, the leader of the largest evangelical mega-church in that country was convicted of stealing many millions of dollars. His preaching centerd on " the prosperity gospel ".
And, how many times do we have to read news articles about the same thing in the U.S. In every " free market " endeavor, including gov't and organized religion, we see history repeating itself. And yet, we collectively keep doing the same thing, hoping for a different result. Hello in there!
Do we need to be reminded constantly of what Chief Seattle's thoughts on these subjects were? ( there's at least five that are applicable ) Instead of arguing constantly about the constitutionality of the Ten Commandments and Nativity scenes on our courthouse squares; do we need his words there, instead? Just wonderin'.
Donald Trump is a serious symptom of a larger disease within the body politic. He sees only wins for a few, while loss is heaped upon the many. If climate denial were his only blind spot, it would be scary enough. However, he sees personal enrichment as the only cure, for everything. And, he's the POTUS. He, and his, have been given the combination to our safe; holding our gov't and our immediate future in his hands. He's never shown the traits necessary to hold that much power. Never! Not in almost 40 years as a public figure.
P.S. A recent poll shows religious institutions in S. Korea went from most trusted to least trusted. I'm glad the S. Koreans are paying thoughtful attention to their institutions. I wish I could say the same for my fellow citizens. " Always be following the damnable money ". Just sayin'.

Little Donnie hasn't a clue.

Trump is in way over his head. All those bad guys will eat him for breakfast and not even belch.

Trump has no "head" in the cognitive sense . He is an acquisition machine, plain and simple. He's a blind, devouring worm...claiming, devouring, digesting, leaving the rest of humanity to shovel his sh-t. Damn congress for approving the electoral college ballots and releasing this monster into our government. They knew what he was and is. This is a deliberate assault on our country from within by individuals whom we pay to serve our best interests. Everything DJT does that humiliates the USA and compromises us both internationally and domestically, they are complicit. The longer they prolong this travesty, the greater their complicity.