Home | About | Donate

Warnings of 'Tipping Point' in Trump Shutdown as Airport Staff Shortages Cause Major Flight Delays

Warnings of 'Tipping Point' in Trump Shutdown as Airport Staff Shortages Cause Major Flight Delays

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Has the record-long government shutdown over President Donald Trump's border wall demand finally reached a "tipping point"?

1 Like

Trump’s beautiful concrete wall is not about security. It will be Trump’s monument to himself. The $5.7 billion is only the down payment; the total may be $20 billion. It is analogous to the great pyramids of Egypt. That is why he is shutting down the whole country and told us that it will continue as long as is necessary… The ripple effects are becoming more evident.

5 Likes

“The shutdown is a war on working people, executed from the Oval Office.” A General Nationwide Strike is in order to counteract the current regimes madness! We the people need to call our local and state representatives and senators to demand an end to the Trump shutdown. Continue to arrest the co conspirators all the way to the top!

5 Likes

You are right in the monument to himself hypothesis. It is remarkable that it has never been discussed anywhere, not even here until you mentioned it.
Trump is daydreaming about what he imagines will be history books talking about a “Trump Wall”, much like history books in England talk about Hadrian’s Wall.

3 Likes

What are you talking about, Senior? With respect, are you drunk? In case you didn’t know, it was “working people” who elected Trump, and it will be working people who will re-elect him in 2020.
Please stop misrepresenting the ignorant racist blue collar trash (I suppose that is what you refer by “working people.”) In the US, that trash aren’t “working people” in the traditional sense of the word, they are deeply flawed, resentful, ignorant, racist human beings who are destroying their country to take revenge on imaginary enemies for the their own mediocre failed lives.

On a positive note, the planes will be grounded and they won’t be using fossil fuels which helps prevent further habitat collapse.

2 Likes

Does anyone really think Trump is going to cave? He said he’ll negotiate but he’s not going to give up on the wall. Pelosi is just grandstanding. Tell Trump to raise the top tax bracket (on the wealthy) $.05 to pay for it. If the democrats ever regain any semblance of control they can tear the wall down – but I bet they won’t. Right now they’re just pandering for votes. Trump could have sold his wall by stating he’s just finishing what the Democrats started.

"… Top Democrats’ claim to find Trump’s wall “immoral” is a case in point. Their party’s leaders have long championed expensive and draconian “border security” measures, including fencing. Wall-building at the border increased dramatically under Bill Clinton, who feared an influx of Mexican farmers displaced by his arch-neoliberal North American Free Trade Agreement. Fence construction also continued under the record-setting “deporter-in-chief” Barack Obama."

1 Like

They should just build a Wal Mart along the entire border.

It would be a compromise, then people could go back to what they really want. Breeding and shopping.

Both Mexico and the US politicians would be happy, and so would the people.

1 Like

All Trump has is his base support. If he doesn’t deliver a wall to those knuckleheads at his rallies, he is toast.

1 Like

Exactly – !!

And how many BILLIONS did Trump give away in tax cuts for himself and other Elites
wealthy – two rounds of tax cuts –

And having gotten away with this reckless shutting down of government and the people
once, it looks to me like Trump has in mind using this tactic in the future –
on and off shutting down of government.

THAT is exactly why Democrats can’t fold on this one and betray us all again.

2 Likes

So if a wall existed and illegal immigration continued, then what?
Dig a wall deep enough into the ground to prevent tunneling?
Then they will hang glide or drone on in.

3 Likes

Who else are the knuckledraggers going to vote for? He might lose their insane enthusiasm but he sure won’t lose their votes.

Every animal in the Zoo of the Republican administration is out front of the White House awaiting the Head Swamp Creature to speak.

Doesn’t it seem like this last two years have been just one crisis after another?

Here’s to hoping their end is near.

2 Likes

Maybe you didn’t quite get my drift. Working people include air traffic controllers, national parks folks, fast food people, teachers, construction, clerks, receptionists, etc. Some are racist, some are not, division is the fascist Trump way not the progressive democratic way. We need not to criticize all but to include all for a more perfect union. It’s too bad some feel so negative about themselves that they are brainwashed by the corporate lies and propaganda. Peace

4 Likes

Maybe someone should suggest to Trump that he build a resort that spans the whole border and anyone caught trying to cross in from Mexico is automatically employed. Surely he can rig up some loophole that assigns HR responsibilities to the Department of Agriculture, so they’re all legal migrant workers. That’s what they do at ski resorts.

1 Like
2 Likes

You are right of course. The base don’t think for themselves for the majority of them anyway.
If they vote at all, they don’t know how to act differently.
Then question becomes, how do we stop the base from growing, beyond what Trump is already doing?

2 Likes

My dear Senior, I didn’t misread your meaning. The “whites” among those people you mention, except for those in education and skilled professional jobs, are, to a very large extent, Ignorant Racist Trumpian Trash. Those are the ones who put Trump in the White House. Unless you think that foreigners (like myself) crept into your country during the night to vote for Trump, while you enlightened beautiful white people slept.
No, my friend. I didn’t vote for Trump, “your ignorant racist white friends” voted for Trump.
Please read the statistics (if you have trouble understanding the stats, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to resolve your doubts.)

Can we get the military jets grounded too? THAT would really help the environment!

Thanks for this. I would suggest that Trump do more than adjust the top tax bracket. I think he should initiate a GoFundMe account for billionaires to raise the $$$ for his Wall Monument to himself. Even Congress Critters with a net worth over $1 million could donate to him and his stupid wall.