Home | About | Donate

Warren Wins Praise for Plan to End 'Rigged Game' Plaguing US Elections by Expanding Voting Rights and Improving Security

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/25/warren-wins-praise-plan-end-rigged-game-plaguing-us-elections-expanding-voting

So what good is that for the upcoming election?

How about mandating an end to black-box voting machines? Paper ballots marked by hand and counted in public are the gold standard for transparency and unhackability.

4 Likes

but I’ll bet none of those provisions lower the barriers to third party participation. Even Warren herself refers to the desired outcome of “both parties playing on a level playing field”. This is a cynical attempt to expand the participation of only one party–hers.

Let third parties compete fairly. Then we can start patting people on the back for their commitment to “democracy”.

4 Likes

Very true. But Warren has it right that the elections are rigged…rigged to keep the Green Party from political power!

2 Likes

yes and no. that’s why I put that comment in: the “rigging” for her doesn’t mention the third party barriers. That was sort of the point of my post. It’s not just the Greens that are excluded. It’s literally everyone else, right wing, left wing, darkwing duck wing, wings over st. louis wing, paul mccartney and wings wing, etc…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we could restore democracy and get, as Lincoln put it, a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, out of the clutches of the controlling 1%, then we could possibly totally transform this country into one for the people and leave behind us much of what now plagues us, on issue after issue, whether its wars, climate change, health care, crime and poverty, etc. etc.

1 Like

Sorry, but a Plan is far from a Done Deal!!!

I would go one step further. Trust, but verify ballot counting.

1 Like

They could start by apologizing for handcuffing Jill Stein to a chair when she tried to participate in the 2016 debates. If a candidate is on the ballot in enough states to theoretically win then they deserve to be heard. Give the debates back to the League of Women Voters.

2 Likes

LoWV were the ones that gave the debates away. Of course, that’s because the parties colluded and refused to participate if they didn’t have a say over the moderation and questioner panels. (aka softballs only, except for candidates we want to eject).

Neither party’s going to risk their image-making machinery at this point. That’s why they’ll never open it up to third parties, either.

And also why I refuse to vote. The system is rigged beyond repair.

1 Like