Home | About | Donate

Watch: Bernie Sanders and Rashida Tlaib Headline Detroit Rally After Touring District

Why not indeed! As Che pointed out too, that a true revolutionary is always motivated by love. It is what will eventually bring peace.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/morris/works/1893/commune.htm

1 Like

As a rational secularist, I’m not one for hope, which amounts mostly to wishful thinking.
However, without the kind of hope Bernie talks of, there’s only nihilism, cynicism, skepticism, sarcasm, fatalism, and a sense of doom.
The human species is the ultimate destroyer, and will extinguish most of the biosphere by the end of this century. But in the short term, Bernie’s FDR vision could do just as much good as FDR did, which was a lot.
Even though most politicians are evil, and the two major parties are corrupt, there are an increasing number of progressive Democrats. Together with Bernie and citizen participation, we can make some positive changes here in the dying empire as it collapses.

What a great rally to watch. Anger, Energy, Hope and Aspiration. All the essential element to take down the corrupt ruling class that infest our Capital City.

The Sanders campaign has seamlessly shifted into a higher gear the last 10 days, leaving the standard democratic imposters in the dust. There is an increasing sharpness to his rhetoric and it’s hitting home with the working class. It is pointed, critical and deeply honest. The money laundered crowd doesn’t know what to do and the contrast between Bernie and Elizabeth Warren is being force to the forefront. It is interesting to note, she has yet to respond and I suspect Warren’s campaign understands, it’s “Put up or Shut up time”.

When the corrupt democratic elite of this country start floating names like Bloomberg, Clinton and Kerry as their “White Knights”, you know their frightened of what is to come. No matter, they will collapse just like the rest of the neoliberal class. What amuses me is why are they so public about their anxieties? Isn’t Joe Boy still leading is most of the polls and well Warren is still got a foot in their camp. It’s as if they don’t believe the polls or at least the ones that are shared with the public.

1 Like

Reagan took three tries to get the Presidency (admittedly 1968 was only halfhearted).

Thank you for this, you understand history very well, better than most and you dating is correct which I am mighty glad to read!

Notice Bernie was not at the service for Elijah Cummings last week, choosing to campaign in Iowa instead. Guessing that maybe it had something to do with the fact that Cummings was one of the leaders of the Congressional Black Caucus who continually lied about Bernie’s civil rights record in 2016, along with John Lewis, who kept asking, “Where was Bernie for the March on Washington (in 1963)”. Well, Snopes found him by massively blowing up a photo showing a 21 year-old unknown college student Bernie Sanders standing by the Reflecting Pool at the march, while 16 y/o Hillary Rodham was in suburban Chicago being a Goldwater Girl. And oh, I’m years younger than Liz Warren, but I had enough sense in 1980 and 1984 not to vote for Reagan! Some progressives they are (NOT!).

4 Likes

The set of people who run more than once in the primary (and maybe win like Reagan) is a much bigger set than the one I was considering - just those that won the nomination, lost the general, and won another nomination (Nixon was the last time).

I don’t know what the hell happened to Kerry. The war protester Kerry wasn’t so bad. The Kerry later wasn’t anything to write home about. I don’t see him inspiring many.

But Wrigley owned the stadium - not just the Cubs. Today’s stadium namesakes own the politicians and not the stadiums - they find it’s a better use of their money.

2 Likes

Exactly. They obviously do not believe their own PR about Biden and Sanders. Their REAL scientific assessment of the voting public shows very clearly that they are despised, and that we know a world without their “leadership” is not just possible, but necessary. And that Sanders’ policies and rhetoric are hugely popular.

They know damned well that Sanders will win unless they swamp us with bullshit. They are pumping bilge at us as fast as they can, and it still may not be enough.

Aye. That’s true and a good distinction to make. I’ll withdraw my objection to the former — but never to the latter.

Cummings was chairman of the 2016 Democratic Party Platform Committee which blocked Medicare for All. The vote was 7-6, with the Hillary-DNC-Party Establishment casting the 7 votes to exclude M4A from the platform. Cummings was one of the seven. I recall that he told the six that this vote was just a recommendation and that they would have a chance later to present M4A for inclusion. That suggestion was, of course, ludicrous - the convention almost always rubber-stamps the “recommendation” of the committee by voice vote and without debate. He also said that he would not vote for M4A as a desirable improvement over Obamacare because he did “not want to embarrass our President in the last six months of his term”. That’s a heck of a reason for opposing M4A. I have not been able to find a report of Cummings’s statements, but I recall them clearly.

2 Likes

Make that the corrupt, Corporate, Democratic Establishment. More proof if not Biden then, ANYBODY BUT BERNIE!

3 Likes

The “election” isn’t about the parties nor is it about the candidates, it’s about the 1% protecting proliferating their wealth inequality machines ( Corp State, Wall Street, WAR, two party one goal system) and the 99% desperately trying to survive in blood thirsty late stage cannibalistic authoritarian corp state. If you think the election will save the people, planet and create peace… you haven’t been paying attention.

Direct peaceful action is needed and now.

1 Like

[Edited to add punchline.]

Cummings was chairman of the 2016 Democratic Party Platform Committee which blocked Medicare for All. The vote was 7-6, with the Hillary-DNC-Party Establishment casting the 7 votes to exclude M4A from the platform. Cummings was one of the seven. I recall that he told the six that this vote was just a recommendation and that they would have a chance later to present M4A for inclusion. That suggestion was, of course, ludicrous - the convention almost always rubber-stamps the “recommendation” of the committee by voice vote and without debate. He also said that he would not vote for M4A as a desirable improvement over Obamacare because he did “not want to embarrass our President in the last six months of his term”. That’s a heck of a reason for opposing M4A. I have not been able to find a report of Cummings’s statements, but I recall them clearly.

[I forgot to add the punchline:]

For Cummings, loyalty to the Democratic Party Establishment and to its leader overrode the welfare of the public.

1 Like