Home | About | Donate

WATCH LIVE: Michigan Board of State Canvassers Meets for Election Certification

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/23/watch-live-michigan-board-state-canvassers-meets-election-certification

1 Like

Next door in Wisconsin the republican poll watchers are challenging every ballot, enabling a big stalling maneuver.
Challenging things like how the ballot was folded or not folded.
Rather pathetic and childish.

11 Likes

I read that. What do you think it is that they hope to accomplish with this tactic? If the vote counts. it counts. How do they think dragging it out will change anything?

3 Likes

I think the ultimate goal of the Republican, Fascists is to get the election decided in the Supreme Court, which would be corrupt but nonetheless…A LEGAL COUP D’ ETAT that would give their Fuehrer four more years.

5 Likes

Agreed, but how does contesting every single vote on a nonsense issue get them to the Supreme Court?

I think in the end they’re are just going to call Roberts and say " We have no legal argument to make, just rule in our favor. Overturn this election because you can."

It might work.This court has no ethics.

6 Likes

I think it is a lost cause, but Trump is sooooo desperate he is not above doing anything!

6 Likes

Hi Shantiananda:
And—if Trump had pulled that theft off—no doubt one of his sons would be KING next. : )

3 Likes

Whichever one gets around to murdering the other one first (unless Jared & Ivanka display even more aggressive haste), that is. Orangeman is a nouveau emperor, somewhat resembling the little Corsican. They sealed that tyrant off on St. Helena island (reputed to be a very dull place) – but nephews and such continued in the game, for awhile. (Poor Napolean kept siring bastards all over the place, all his life, to prove he was capable – but never managed to produce a surviving heir.)

My humble opinion is that shaking off an incipient feudal monarchy is a good thing. Perhaps some kings have been better than others. This one seems intent on killing everyone with ignorance. I seriously regard my own personal chance of survival – literal viable continuance on this plane – as greatly enhanced by the (eventual) excision of this horrible cancerous growth from the White House.

Call me naive: It makes a really big difference to me, in the pursuit of human solidarity.

4 Likes

The election board deep-sixed the tactic by accepting a blanket challenge that covers all the challengers’ concerns. In other words, STFU.

1 Like

Pitiful and pitied by no one, why have I come to the ignominy of this detestable old age, who was ruler of two kingdoms, mother of two kings? My guts are torn from me, my family is carried off and removed from me. The young king [crown prince Henry, †1183] and the count of Britanny [prince Geoffrey, †1186] sleep in dust, and their most unhappy mother is compelled to be irremediably tormented by the memory of the dead. Two sons remain to my solace, who today survive to punish me, miserable and condemned. King Richard [the Lionheart] is held in chains [in captivity with Emperor Henry VI of Germany]. His brother, John, depletes his kingdom with iron [the sword] and lays it waste with fire. In all things the Lord has turned cruel to me and attacked me with the harshness of his hand. Truly his wrath battles against me: my sons fight amongst themselves, if it is a fight where where one is restrained in chains, the other, adding sorrow to sorrow, undertakes to usurp the kingdom of the exile by cruel tyranny. Good Jesus, who will grant that you protect me in hell and hide me until your fury passes, until the arrows which are in me cease, by which my whole spirit is sucked out?"

[ Third letter to Pope Celestine (1193)]

Eleanor of Aquitaine

4 Likes

Firstly i wish the election was a landslide victory for the conscientious people of America.
Secondly, i wish clowns like Trump didn’t get but a handful of votes mostly from his family member his few corporate sponsors and some of his crazy fringe loonies. So now that his fascist supremacist nut jobs have voted for him he’s too emboldened and thinks he can muscle his way in. We sure have a monumental job of educating the children of the super racist with barely a high school diploma since they might be a lost cause too dumb to learn to love everyone equally.

2 Likes

Oh dear, now I can do a fanfiction story in A Song of Ice and Fire world. House Trump, house sigil a golden skyscraper on red, owing millions of golden dragons to the Lannisters, now takes over King’s Landing, building a new Throne made of gold. King Donald, first of his name, must deal with two ambitious sons and a potentially fratricidal daughter who has the same ruthless ambitions of the late Queen Cersei. Alas, he has no one like Lord Tyrion to guide him; only the likes of Petyr Balish, who will indebt him further with the Iron Bank of Brazos. The smallfolk are rallying around the son of Mance Rayder and John Targaryen…
Actually, I’d be happy to hand Herr Trump a pistol for him to take down into the White House bunker and do the honorable thing, given how many hundreds of thousands of lives he’s irreparably damaged.

6 Likes

I still think Crumpus is going to launch a military strike on Iran before leaving office whilst giving us all the middle finger. As if to say, “Take that you fuckers! Try cleaning up this mess!” I wouldn’t put it past this knuckle-dragger sociopath…

4 Likes

This is like when the republicans whined and whined their way into court 40 times I guess. As soon as the are required to be serious, they show no evidence or real reason to be there.
Same as these trump bozos in Wisconsin.
Before the election trump was the scourge, the liar, and the crook.
After the election we find that nearly half of the voting public loves it.
A lot of people will be deciding whether they will become VERY public, or VERY private.

You almost get the impression old-time tyrants never figured out how to enjoy life…

It’s the poison pill of Anglo-Saxon family inheritance: fathers & sons (et cetera) are eternally obliged to absolutely detest each other – because of that freaking inheritance. It’s also the launching pad for most detective fiction of the Agatha Christie era.

2 Likes

I dunno. Might need some sex in there somewhere, if that’s not too disgusting a picture.

1 Like

drumpf vows never to concede again. Fine. Lead him out in handcuffs for the world to see. I’m still guessing he exiles before the 20th.

1 Like

Maybe they hope stalling will give Trump’s sleaze bag legal team to think up some scam. I doubt it’s that Trump merely cannot admit defeat, I fully expect he’s fucking around, dragging it out to give him and his enablers more time to figure out some way to sabotage things. I say we ought to pressure those two Republicans mentioned in the article, Norman Shinkle and Aaron Van Langevelde to certify Biden. Or we ought to plan to raise hell with mass demonstrations and more if they or anyone else tries to monkey with the election results.

1 Like

I would suggest that part of the stalling is from trump and associates destroying the paper trail, e-mails, and anything else they don’t want discovered. But are they smart enough to do that?
It makes one wonder since his first crew have records and won’t be in any government position ever again.

1 Like

And Mr. Shinkle better get his thumb out and get with the program. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

2 Likes