Home | About | Donate

'We Agree': Iran and P5+1 Announce Concensus on Nuclear Framework

'We Agree': Iran and P5+1 Announce Concensus on Nuclear Framework

Common Dreams staff

After days of marathon negotiations in Switzerland, foreign ministers from the U.S., the U.K., Russia, China, United Kingdom, France, plus Germany (known as the P5 + 1 nations) and Iran emerged from closed-door talks on Thursday to announce they have reached an 'historic' framework agreement regarding Iran's nuclear program and the lifting of international sanctions.

The right masks it's bellicose beligerance behind the claim Iran cannot be trusted. Somehow nobody ever tells the truth except the United States and its allies...yet the United States govt. lies all the time and has been caught doing so often.

I would love to take a deep breath and say, "At last!"
* However I also think back to "No more troops to Afghanistan" and "No more troops in Iraq" Yesterday's "Billion dollar gift of military hardware to Egypt" and various other statements allegedly toward "peace," and what always seems to come after.
* So, I hope, I hope, I hope, but I want to see what the souffle looks like when it comes out of the oven after somebody slammed the door.
;-})

However, she noted, "Republican war hawks—and too many Democrats who are siding with them—are continuing their crusade against the president and trying to sabotage this deal."

Just say AIPAC.

mcp

Excellent choice of words.

mcp

So, a country who does not have nukes will be stopped from getting them. But two countries that have them, that have invaded, bombed and occupied other countries, gets to keep theirs?

One can never by cynical enough. Ten bucks says this is just another Obama scam.

Obama and his gang of warmongering thugs don't want peace with Iran. That's not what they were hired to do. So there are two very likely scenarios here. One is that Congress overrides this agreement. The other is that the agreement goes forward in some form, but then, low and behold, those nasty Iranians "violate" it somehow (can you say false-flag op?), giving us (or Israel) a reason to attack Iran.

Either way, it's a win win for Obamacon Wizard of Guile. He gets to look like a peace-monger while still advancing the cause of Empire and getting to kill a bunch of people.

According to RT:

“The EU will terminate the implementation of all nuclear-related economic and financial sanctions and the US will cease the application of all nuclear-related secondary economic and financial sanctions, simultaneously with the IAEA-verified implementation by Iran of its key nuclear commitments,” the joint statement said

In other words, Director General-Amano will make sure that such verification never happens. And President Obama will annouce that in spite of the US's sincerest diplomatic efforts, no aggreement can be reached. And the devastating sanctions must stay in place.

iran

Unfortunately, you are probably correct.
;-})

I'm thrilled that Iran and P5+1 are going for the Nuclear Framework. It makes no sense to give up the chance that the haed work of pulling these nations together deserve a chance. It's time for the Republicans to care more about the well-being and a possible Peace for America than blocking this deal in process because President Obama wants it,

What do you call an agreement to agree later?

No agreement.

Under NNPT, ALL nuclear armed countries are to make concrete progress toward complete elimination of nuclear weapons. Of course Israel has not signed the NNPT. But Russia, China, France, USA, and Britain all have, and all still have nuclear weapons. As do Israel, Pakistan, India, and N Korea, who have joined "the club" since the NNPT was written.

It isn't just the Republicans we should be concerned about.
The "Good Cops"- Obama and the "Democrats", aren't
finished; they haven't yet achieved regime change in Iran, which is the real goal of falsifying Iran's nuclear intentions,and coercing them with economic sanctions, sabotage, (STUXNET) and assassinations of scientists.
Liberal groups are celebrating "peace", and thanking Kerry and Obama,- but remember that Obama granted Bush, Cheney et al: "Absolute Immunity" for Everything, so that the "Democrats" too, can continue building the Global Corporate Empire. The "Democrats" believe in "free enterprise", and one cardinal rule of capitalism is "Expand or Die." Hence, Empire.
Multiple regime changes, and the promotion of bloody free-for-alls, full of shifting alliances, serve to cut down any opposition to "our" hegemony world-wide.
Both of "our" capitalist parties want to retake Iran, angry that they had the nerve to kick out "our" torture regime (The Shahs, SAVAK, etc.), but more importantly, because "our" ruling class feels entitled to acquire the wealth and power of the oil, refining capability, and strategic real estate: pipeline routes, missile and military bases to be used against Russia, China, anyone who might counterbalance "our" Empire's power.
This isn't over. I expect that sooner or later, there will be another Tonkin Gulf/ 9-11-type false flag operation to "justify" the next war on Iran.
Examine the premise of these negotiations: "Those Iranians are a bunch of crazy Muslims who can't be trusted with nuclear weapons." (Never mind that "our own" intelligence agencies assessed that Iran was not interested in developing nuclear weapons.)
Iran hasn't attacked any countries lately under false pretenses. (And not held the liars/killers/torturers accountable.)
"Our" country has. Iran never used nuclear weapons on anyone. "Our" country has- on civilians! (Twice!) And offered them to the French to use at Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam. (France declined.)
Considering how many dictators the U.S.
has installed around the world, using hideous methods, why isn't it the **U.S. that is sanctioned, and told we can't be trusted with high-tech weapons, especially nukes?**

Good One Steve,

The Rat-Poison Cook has slipped us some pretty bad mickies in the past.... But he promises, this time, it's different. This time we can trust him. After sticking troops in 145 countries and destroying everything that was America, somehow, we can trust his fithy azz...

Well here's hoping.

Maybe the rift with Nut-and-Yahoo is real after all, and Kerry is going to show up for the Democrat ticket, so he needs a Nobel Peace Prize too....

Well, if it's real peace, the 47 traitors in Congress must be pretty miffed. No mushroom clouds? No WMD's? The people will never go for a war against cheap oil dumped on the market by Iran. I see that on zerohedge.com some are predicting $20 dollar/barrel oil when the sanctions against Iran are lifted...

Is this really success? It's a framework, right? We had one of these "frameworks" with Iraq, remember? ...and it led to war after bush the Inferior claimed Scott Ritter's UN OMSCON inspections proved there were WMD's when he said nothing of the sort. Then there was the yellowcake fraud. Valerie Plame-gate, remember? We are not out of the woods yet. The Warhawks could pull another 911 on us at any time.

Israel is indeed a major player in all this as they are the fifth biggest military in the world and the largest Congressional PAC on the hill (AIPAC.) They aren't going to be happy with just the West Bank with their new right-wing complexion. They didn't build up that huge military for defense. They want Egypt and the Assyrians, their ancient enemies, since they are pretending to be the people who assimilated into the Palestinians, the Habiru or the Shasu, or the Phoniecians, I'm not sure which, since they really came from Eastern Europe and Khan-Asia. Well, at least the AshkeNazi's did.

But you're right, for the moment, this beats a proxy war with Putin.

The REAL choice: diplomacy or war. Bravo Obama-Kerry. Hopefully millions of lives saved and artificial limbs unnecessary!

Looking at the article and the comments, the chances of Iran being free from sanctions and sabotage appear slim. The only response likely to be effective is to join with other targets and potential targets to produce an alternative commercial system to bypass the one that currently exists. There are beginnings of such a system, and worrisome now is that if sanctions no longer are effective, we will resort to military force. Of course, that eventuality has already produced an arms race where billions are wasted that are needed to improve living standards here and abroad. Our foreign policy is tragic

So now we know where the next Israelis and their congressional bitches will concentrate their efforts. Expect daily rantings about how Iranians are not keeping to their part of the bargain followed by choral and choreographed repetition from said bitches.

Hi Tom,
* Yeah, I'm still worried about that missing nuclear armed cruise missile. That has always been a black op in reserve, to me. It'll make Tonkin Gulf look like a firecracker in a bale of cotton.
* I can see so many scenarios triggered by that damned thing, both domestic and foreign. There are very few alive anymore that have seen and felt the Nuclear Dragon at work, so they have no idea what they are advocating.
* I wrote my folks from Bikini in 1956 that if they built a huge amphitheater and put everybody in it to watch one of these things, the whole world would go to all the sites and tear the missiles and bombs apart and bury them miles beneath the earth.
* But, no, they are just bargaining chips to improve the bottom line, like Øbama putting $350 billion into modernizing our bombs and delivery systems. You think Raytheon, et al, will put up with a cutback? Not unless they are torn apart and buried miles beneath the earth.
;-})

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Goebbels, MiniProp for Hitler’s Third Reich 1897-1945
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;-})