Home | About | Donate

'We Are Not That Country': Rebuking Trump Policies, Judge Orders Immigrant Rights Advocate Freed

'We Are Not That Country': Rebuking Trump Policies, Judge Orders Immigrant Rights Advocate Freed

Julia Conley, staff writer

In a strongly-worded ruling that condemned the Trump administration's immigration policies, a federal judge ordered that immigrant rights activist Ravi Ragbir be released from jail on Monday, more than two weeks after he was abruptly detained during a routine check-in with immigration officials.

Liberty AND JUSTICE FOR ALL is such a simple, beautiful concept that I can’t understand the depth of depravity needed to violate it. “We hold these truths to be self evident: that ALL … are created equal…” I would say that if anyone is going to be deported, shouldn’t it be the racists and hate-mongers who stand utterly opposed to principles that many, many people, for many generations, have stood up and died for? Has the human hunger for liberty died? I think not. The world has so many refugees BEGGING to help us build a society here more just than the world has ever seen, but some shithole in the seat of stolen power won’t let them in. Who is the criminal here? Who is the enemy of everything America stands for? It’s nice to hear of an occasional judge who still understands what this experiment called the USA is all about.

I don’t recognize this country anymore.