Home | About | Donate

'We are the 99%': But Richest 1% Will Soon Own Two Thirds Of World's Wealth

'We are the 99%': But Richest 1% Will Soon Own Two Thirds Of World's Wealth

Common Dreams staff

More than two-thirds of the world's entire wealth will be owned by the richest 1% of people by 2030, new research warns.

The shocking findings of the new report produced by the UK's House of Commons Library claims that if trends which began after the 2008 financial crisis continue, the 1% will control 64% of world's money in just 12 years' time.

Let me understand this because I am obviously missing something. We let just a few people horde so much wealth they could if they chose virtually end the worlds poverty, educate every child in the world, and provide healthcare to all humans. But instead of redistributing the wealth, we accept their total social dominance and our virtual slavery without question or dissent. Why is that???

I get your point Dan. But, I think the question is, what are we (the 99%) going to do about it?

We are going to do nothing because of the feeling that we have no power.

I feel your frustration. Now let’s hear your imagination.

I’ll start … in no particular order:

A nationwide strike on all good ands services the 1% rely on … need some home work in that arena.

Warm bodies blocking “executive” (ie CEO COO etc) entryways everywhere … make them explain their choices before going into work.

A Flat Rate tax based on real income

Accountability of expenses charged to the public … IE Mara lago weekends, rentals form lobbyists et al

10 year moratorium between public service posts and lobbying positions

Suggestions?

I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan and have been standing vigil for peace with a group once a week for more than fifteen years. We are open to suggestions.

I like your suggestions. Thanks

Also, look at what these Florida kids are doing …

And where my friend do you propose to find those millions of willing protesters to block those entryways? You don’t have any more solutions then we do . Yours starts with, ok we get a few million willing people then… Might as well be pissing in the wind.

Oh and a flat rate income tax is unfair to those on the bottom. Hardly a progressive idea.

My suggestion is that you keep with the vigils. They’re something. Also, it’s time to get the kids to run wild out of their officialize protests and into the streets where they’ll discover all kinds of things.

And there’s shit like this. It matters:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/russell-westbrook-supports-teacher-walkout-oklahoma-im-definitely-232114172.html

I’m verbalizing my thoughts … imperfect though they may be. Anyone can be a critic, constructive suggestions related to moving forward would be welcome, any thoughts?

But instead of redistributing the wealth, we accept their total social dominance and our virtual slavery without question or dissent. Why is that???

Because no one manufactures guillotines anymore.

amen.

Well, a good start might be for the other half of the population to get off of their apathetic/affluent asses and vote.

Throw a few rocks.

Yeah, get off your ass and vote.

Mr Dan: That IS an accurate summation of the present circumstances. My question is now what?

Tempting … however the authority respond by shooting. Sucks.