Home | About | Donate

'We Believe in Primaries': Ocasio-Cortez's Team Welcomes Any Democrat Who Wants to Challenge Her in 2020

'We Believe in Primaries': Ocasio-Cortez's Team Welcomes Any Democrat Who Wants to Challenge Her in 2020

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After The Hill reported on Tuesday that some House Democrats are working to recruit a primary candidate to take on Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) in 2020, the freshman congresswoman's team welcomed any potential election opponent and vowed to continue fighting for the interests of the American public.

3 Likes

From the article:

“We believe in primaries as an idea”—Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, D-NY.

If for no other reason, primaries are important for establishing the priorities a candidate will (presumably!) champion if elected.

As such, what could be more important than encouraging the participation of as many diverse viewpoints as possible? I’ll be firmly convinced of AO-C’s progressive credentials if she both takes on all comers from her own party, and then agrees to debate any candidate for the general, not just the R.

8 Likes

I also believe in primaries as long as people like Alexandria Ocasio Cortez win & the Wall St Dinosaurs lose. It is sad & bad that there are people defending the Wall St Dinosaurs right to stay in office till they die. We need politicians that stand up to Wall St, end our wars & protect the environment.

9 Likes

Yeah, I think she’s pretty well established, if just by virtue of the fact that we all know the name of a rookie congressperson.

I wonder whom she means by we here, however. It surely does not apply to the DNC.

5 Likes

If The Democrats are working actively to see AOC defeated in the next primary round , then it should be obvious that they want the progressive vote but not the progressive policy.

They are sleazy to the extreme.

17 Likes

David Sirota is probably correct, I don’t see AOC losing in a primary challenge, New Yorkers are not that stupid. The possibility of her district being eliminated is a bigger worry.
The fact this was brought up by someone in the Dem party, incognito says a lot about the party itself.

12 Likes

New York has some of the most antiquated and obsolete election processes in the country. They suck at the basics, really. So a rigged primary is right up their garbage-strewn back alley. Xuck 'em!
Run against A O-C and you’re going to see a progressive-left 3rd Party alignment faster than you can say, " Wall St & Washington, D. C. Suck "

8 Likes

“Anonymous democrat”. Can the Vichy democrat party make themselves seem more pathetic and weak? They have no answers and no real ideology (beside playing the good cop) to fall back on. It’s only taken one person telling the fking truth to throw their Bullsh!t World spinning out of orbit. By simply saying that the war isn’t left and right, it’s up and down she’s changed the game. It’s a starting point for taking the conversation back from the sh!t flinging Monkeys. Liberal vs. conservative is the game that’s divided and conquered the Working Class. The 1% vs. everyone else is the undeniable truth that will set us free.

9 Likes

If AOC ran for President tomorrow I’d vote for her. No, NewYorkers are not stupid. We need Change Now! I am sick of re-electing the same old farts who collect a hefty paycheck and do nothing for it. Only way to end the massive corruption is to vote the old out and vote the new in! Don’t wanna debate progressive issues and don’t care who likes them or not. Anyone is better than the crooks we have running the Govt now. The Red States can do whatever the hell they want and will lose what ever they have left. Talk about stupid? Not my problem.

6 Likes

All anyone need do is look at what happened the last time someone came along and said ‘it’s my turn’. Good on you AOC.

8 Likes

Bingo! That has been the M.O. of the democratic party for a long time; they use people like Bernie even though the super delegates and the democratic, elite that are politically powerful, know he has no chance… but want the progressive vote.

5 Likes

Go ahead and primary AOC. I love to see a good old corporate democrat take a flogging. I’m OK with every democrat being primaried. Those in touch get to stay and the others are tossed. Bring in on, corporate toadies!!!

8 Likes

I love this young lady and hope she stays true to form despite the enormous pressure she must be feeling right now. Money and revolving doors out of politics must be the number one issue in the Green New Deal. The people know money corrupts government but until they are able to vote out the legal bribe takers and their money masters, nothing can change. Voter turnout will decide and there are ways to greatly increase it. Ways like compulsory voting, online voting secured by blockchain and more. Cellphone voting is so dangerous to the ruling crass that they are faking “experts” to defeat it. If we want to make lobbies illegal and repeal Citizens United, we all have to be able to vote for it or else a minority of around 26% will decide it for us.

3 Likes

They won’t eliminate her district as she would run for senate and easily take out one of the two useless screwballs. Careful what you wish for.

5 Likes

Fvck the corporate Dims.

3 Likes

I like what you say, but please learn the difference between the noun, Democrat, and the adjective, Democratic. People might mistake you for tRumPutinCon.

The proper phrase is vichi Democratic Party, not vichi Democrat Party.

1 Like

Anonymous democrats make their war plans hiding behind republicans.

3 Likes

Here is a suggestion, how about if instead of believing in primaries, progressives start believing in emigration.
American progressives should start a dialog with those of us who left their home countries because we realized that beating a dead horse won’t take you anywhere. The horse American progressive are trying to wake up isn’t just dead, it is badly decomposed. It has been decomposing for a long time (in fact, anyone paying attention can smell the stench from 10,000 Km away), but as is usually the case with humans, you can’t see the beam in your own eye.
I feel sorry for Ocasio-Cortez, a beautiful and articulate woman wasting her time in a White Trash swamp.

1 Like

My thoughts, my words. You need to learn what Vichy means, I think.

2 Likes

If she’s 27 yrs. old now, she wont be old enough for a senate run after her term, but hope you’re right about them trying.

1 Like