Home | About | Donate

We Can and Must Do Better: Why I Am Voting No on the HEROES Act

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/15/we-can-and-must-do-better-why-i-am-voting-no-heroes-act

1 Like

The weight of politics and struggle is moving outside of congress and the existing political system. Left and right. You can just feel the upheaval coming. This crisis is a pivot point.

9 Likes

In a sane world, Jayapal would be a front runner for the VP slot.
But this is not a sane world. This is world filled with all manner of greed heads and sell outs. Only when we stop and take a real look at what’s going on will we finally realize just how fucked we are. Trump is not an aberration. He is a reflection of about 30-40% of the people in this slack jawed USA. Selfish narcissistic, and viscerally stupid. The problem is that the remaining 60% are split between those who know what the problem is and want radical change in order to fix it, and the others, the blue dogs, the Third Way, who are shit-their -pants afraid of losing more ground to conservatives, so they buddy up to them and hope that the fascists let them stay middle class for just a little while longer.
My advice to you Mrs Jayapal is simple. Tell the democratic leadership that, if they don’t do as you and the other progressives ask, you will not support any further legislation, and will not support Biden in November. That we are, as progressives, willing to risk another four years of Trump in order to change America for the better.

14 Likes

BigB: I think you maybe on to something, how about a petition by millions of us progressives to be presented to the DEMOCRATS IN NAME ONLY at the convention, that we will not vote unless their platform includes a progressive agenda.

9 Likes

While this essay stands as a shout out the members of Congressional Progressive Caucus, I hope Ms Jayapal makes a formal appeal to the CPC and rounds up 20 more NO votes.

Meanwhile, if those 20 CPC members peeled off from the d-party to form a rock solid progressive third party, Pelosi, Schumer, and Hoyer would suddenly have to bow to pressure from somewhere other than their Blue Dog right.

7 Likes

It’s how the tea party did it. I suggest we merely emulate what has proven successful in the past.
I don’t believe there’s going to be a convention. The DNC is praying there’s no convention for a variety of reasons, however the main ones are, no candidate has the 1990 delegates to garner the nom on a first ballot. Of course they could just change the rules to cover that one (it being a private club and all). But the biggest issue is that the last thing they want is Joe Biden standing in front of a live crowd, unable to read the teleprompter, squinting and stuttering. They want to control Biden’s narrative (and tv time) he will make very few live appearances. There will be no debates, at least none face to face (and man, that would have been fantastic, two crazy old men arguing about what color the little pixies are that are dancing on their eyebrows)
And once again, this whole debacle is dependent upon there not being a large second Wave. If there is, all bets are off.

5 Likes

That sounds like a good plan to me.

A way to “change from within,” right?

What are the downsides? The CPC block looks bad? Of course they would in the corporate media’s eyes, but almost everything good gets spun as bad there. What the CPC would have would be a principled stand, based on truth and basic compassion, that we should be acting to save lives and avoid further social collapse. If even a little of that truth leaks out, that is a winning message to the masses.

So, again, this sounds good to me. I’ll speak for this in my circles.

Best regards, everyone

8 Likes

We need 218 Jayapal’s in the House!

8 Likes

I believe there are 97 members of the CPC.
Maybe 20 of them are actual progressives as measured by my rather far left yardstick.

Thus, the only power those 20 have is in forming a committed voting block or forming their own party.
And by “their own party” I mean “our own party.”

8 Likes

That could backfire “spectacularly” as the DNC corporates are not truly feeling any pain under trump… it does not affect their personal coffers one damn bit…they’d scapegoat US as the destruction of the middle class and the poor would continue unabated.

1 Like

Thank you for your courage Jayapal!!!

6 Likes

Rep. Jayapal should announce, today, that she is associating with the Movement for a People’s Party and she should commence supporting the movement however she can, even as she stays in Congress in her current position. In that office, she should continue to advocate for the American people rather than big money unless and until she is replaced by her constituents. And when the Movement creates that genuinely progressive political party, she should ditch the Dems and become one of the Party’s big name political candidates. She is just the kind of public figure and leader the new party will need to gain momentum. She will never be a consequential player with the Dems and her potential to help the American people most in need of help will always be wasted there. Rep. Jayapal, do it, please.

6 Likes

And their nominees will not include anyone who has promised that if he is president nothing will change.

3 Likes

And two (2) in the White House.

1 Like

And their candidates include no one in favor with the establishment Democrats.

3 Likes

Born in India, she can’t constitutionally be VP or President.

2 Likes

If Biden is president the platform is irrelevant.

“Nothing will change.”

7 Likes

Huge props to Jayapal!

Wait though:

Aren’t there like 100 supposed members of the supposedly Progressive Political Caucus in the House? So in fact they could simply block this legislation and make demands? Gasp!

5 Likes

True, and if you were Trump, that would be the best thing you could hope for in November. That would give Trump the legit excuse he needs to delay the November elections; especially, if Trump manages to kill voting by snail mail, which I predict he will try.

2 Likes

Good answer…thanks.

3 Likes