Home | About | Donate

We Can and Must Do Better: Why I Am Voting No on the HEROES Act

That’s an interesting point, and no one is talking about it. I doubt, however, that it would go down in that order, and unless it somehow took out the entire Republican misleadership it would be moot anyway. Trump has been a fine foil, distracting attention from the larger problems, and any replacement would almost certainly be much less a buffoon and much more a dictator.

3 Likes

That’s why Henry Wallace was replaced by Harry Truman on the 1944 Democratic ticket for FDR’s fourth election. History would have been very different if Wallace had been president.

1 Like

I would not vote for Trump (or Biden) if if it cost me body parts and/or imprisonment not to. These two choices are both bad and neither will save us, the nation, or our species.

3 Likes

That’s definitely an option and if either Trump or Biden wins that may well be the only option we have. Not that that will accomplish much beyond our quicker death.

1 Like

One of them will kill you sooner. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Either of them will kill all of us a lot sooner than most realize or accept.
keep your head down and your powder dry.

1 Like

I am neither a Dem or Nazithuglican, so I am not missing your point. I just know that the one currently in is far far worse than the other. Deal with this one first, then the other if he wins and starts to f!@* up…“keep your head down and your powder dry.” is sound advice.

1 Like

Biden’s never stopped f’ing up since the start of his political career, to expect anything different by giving him more power to abuse and misuse, is foolish, especially as he will commit all his atrocities in the names of those who elect him.

1 Like

He no longer has the mental acumen [ IMO] to do much of anything. That is why the VP selection is the important part of his candidacy. That does not preclude that he [or actually the DNC] will select a poor choice in that regard, but I’m willing to see how that pans out.
It isn’t like there is any other game in town at this point, although I have previously suggested in our conversation where that might have to go…

1 Like

It’s almost certainly going to be a “poor choice,” either Harris or Klobuchar. Possibly Stacey Abrams if Biden wants to “prove his boldness,” with a neoliberal centrist who has street cred as an activist for voter rights and against vote suppression. But probably Harris or Klobuchar as the DNC power structure will see them as being more reliable sell-outs and also more electable.

4 Likes

It will be sad to see, but it is the most likely scenario…

2 Likes

(Big Sigh!)
Bernie Sanders gave me hope ~ not corrupt in the least & willing to piss off the powers that be in order to make things more equitable & just, for all of us NOT in the “upper crust”!
I just cannot get excited about Biden. Milquetoast, middle of the road, don’t rock the boat…That is not what we need at this, very likely, last chance to bring back American values, fairness, & balance the scales so disturbingly out of balance! It tooka long time to end up so bad as it is, but little by little & piece by piece ~ here we are! If big, bold changes, that you can count on rich & powerful to fight, tooth & nail, do not happen NOW, they never will. Then we have but 2 choices:
~ American Revolution 2.0, or
~ We resign ourselves to the stripping of benefits, incl. Soc. Security (Trump has said so, but not until after re-election.) & wages too low for anyone to live decently on, for most of working class Americans. Big taxes for all but wealthy to pay - of course, won’t be enuff after Trump sucked Treasury dry. Due to those massive 10yr. tax cuts for those who can afford to pay taxes without even a ripple in their finances, taxes will be the burden for rest of us to bear. Tax cuts were given only to great “wealth” that includes most of Congress, all large corporations & well, those who can & should be paying for the many privileges bestowed upon them in U.S.A. But they won’t be paying. They prefer to make huge political donations instead & our $$$ corrupted politicians & campaigns prefer that too. Right or wrong; fair or not, matters NONE to any of them! I figure that as more become homeless & destitute, there will be wealthiest folks who will have shacks built on their property; homes for thoae willing to work free for a roof overhead & table scraps. Better than hearing your babies cry that they’re so hungry, right? The new slavery ~ not black or white, it’s the color green that matters.
This virus & Trump’s poor handling of it may have kick-started the next step down in what was once the greatest country…now, the laughingstock of the world! Who’d have thunk it ~ in 4 short yrs., we went from Leaders to Losers in world’s eyes!
I will vote Biden in Nov…because we cannot survive 4 more yrs of this imbecilic, evil, nasty little thug & his wretched minions making a mockery of democracy!
What will you do?

1 Like

I don’t believe that 4 years of Biden will be significantly better than Trump on the only issues that really matter (climate change, economic disparity, and the emerging corporate aristocracy - not to mention democracy). I haven’t decided on electoral issues, since I really don’t see that much difference between the two candidates’ actions regarding these issues. I do know that I won’t vote for either Biden or Trump, nor will I vote for any Democrat or Republican down ticket of the presidential contest,…at least at the federal or state level. Locally, I will vote for the most progressive Independent candidates at that level, and will probably become more personally involved in local politics - possibly even running for office myself. I do have some property up near the Canadian border that I will probably relocate most of my extended family to within the next couple of years. I won’t be able to save our nation, global civ., nor our species, but I will try to help my family, neighbors and community to survive the best we can for as long as we can.

1 Like

Best of luck to you! Sounds like a good plan

1 Like

Rep. Jayapal, at the root of a great many of these problems are the extreme inflexibilities intriduced by the General Agreement on Trade in Services, part of the World Trade Organization agreements introduced in 1995. Ive collected a large body of information on this topic you can access it - with stuff on healthcare sorted to the top at policyspace dot xyz slash external

Please read about it there, its the Rosetta stone to understanding the roots of so much that is going on. Basically that deal was an agreement to privatize everything. We should dump it, only then we will be able to implement a progressive agenda.

If we don’t dump it, if we try to make the changes we need, we’re walking right into a trap. This can clearly be seen in the text of the beginning of the Annex on Financial Services. We need to pursue the Article XXI procedure to free our policy space.

Or reject the entire thing the inclusion of services as the bait in the WTO was dishonest because it directly conflicts with democracy. We should drop both the services deal and the TRIPS.
In the film “Fire in the Blood” Indian filmaker Dylan Mohan Gray tells the incredible true story of how the drug industry failed to meet their responsibility to help during the AIDS crisis resulting in the deaths of more than 10 million poor people for absolutely no reason. You must watch that film and there you’ll see that GATS and TRIPS might be linked and withdrawn from , together. Its our only hope.

Thank you very much for your work. But we need to be aware of this thing, I am not kidding about the danger. Please see my site, a lot of info specific to this problem can be found there.

1 Like

Rep. Jayapal, there is a significant, much better than nonzero chance that the well known stilbenoid polyhenol resveratrol may both inhibit the COVID-19virus replication and act to modulate the immune system offering a very substantial help in many aspects of the illness. Something similar has been done with RESV and a number of other viruses. You are a member of the House and you can get some attention focused on this. If you go to pubmed dot gov and search on resveratrol coronavirus you’ll find some of the reasons why I strongly suspect this, but you will really get a picture of what might be possible when you start searching on resveratrol and the large number of related conditions caused by COVID-19 particularly the most dangerous ones. A huge aid to this disease may literally be staring us in the face, one that is made literally from an invasive plant that grows throughout the world. For example, ARDS, acute lung injury, sepsis, pulmonary fibrosis, and many others. What I imagine being done is something like what has been done with piglets and pseudorabies virus, using it for oral prophylaxis of infection. We shouldnt dive in, we should investigate it - and soon. It could help people all around the world and save a lot of lives, or manye not, but we have to find out one way or the other. Every indication, from how resveratrol behaves with quite similar betacoronaviruses is that it would work to inhibit viral replication, but thats not the whole story, it may also prevent the cytokine storm before it begins.

Also, you should be aware there is a way to make an electronic test for COVID-19 using a graphene based FET, (a custom made field effect transistor) which then can be used over and over - its a permanent COVID-19 sensor, which is very sensitive, very selective for COVID-19 and delivers results in just 2 minutes. It could make an unlimited number of tests available rapidly to anybody who wanted one.

Why aren’t we on top of this?

We need to dump (WTO) GATS (the agreement to privatize everything) for reasons I elaborate elsewhere. It hamstrings almost every single thing we need to do. A million poor people have died while healthcare has been rigged by GATS. Its deregulation (and “reform”) of Glass-Steagall set us up for the biggest financial disaster in recent history. Its turned politics into a fraud on the nation.

Your plan still beats any others I have heard! Sigh

1 Like

Next time try it without writing polite letters asking for an extension. I appreciate the No vote and all but remember Ms Jayapal, your constituents voted for you so you go fight for them, not roll over for Mama Bear Pelosi and let her kick you in the proverbial teeth repeatedly while you draft polite softball letters every now and then expressing your opposition.

What she should be doing is go on live TV every single day and expose Nancy Pelosi as the parasite and corporate shill that she is, as someone who prioritized bailing out lobbyists and debt collectors over guaranteeing the workers in this country a paycheck and access to healthcare. That may make her unpopular with Pelosi (and who cares. Fuck Pelosi), but it will make her infinitely more popular with voters and her campaign would just be cashing in as a result.

In order to win and make a stand you have to be willing to play hard ball by holding up legislation, by saying no, by holding pressers slamming Pelosi and the corporate Democrats - even if it means people wont get that one time $1200 check, because you know not doing so carries far worse consequences for those people than NOT getting a one time $1200 check. Take a page from the Freedom Caucus because that is how power works and that is how you acquire it. You are not gonna get it asking polite and playing by the rules with people who hold you and your movement and your constituents in contempt and have used every opportunity to quash you and spit in your face.

As Frederick Douglass once observed:

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

2 Likes

I’m certainly not looking forward to the rigors of the only path left I perceive as available to any of us, and I am open to realistic, and viable alternatives to this course, but given that the lives of myself and my family are dependent upon my decisions and actions, I’m pretty risk adverse.when it comes to trade-offs.

1 Like