Home | About | Donate

“We Destroyed the Cities to Save Them” and Other Future Headlines

“We Destroyed the Cities to Save Them” and Other Future Headlines

Tom Engelhardt

One of the charms of the future is its powerful element of unpredictability, its ability to ambush us in lovely ways or bite us unexpectedly in the ass. Most of the futures I imagined as a boy have, for instance, come up deeply short, or else I would now be flying my individual jet pack through the spired cityscape of New York and vacationing on the moon.

None of what Engelhardt outlines here is hard to see. It's interesting how he compiles links to various functionaries admitting to specific pieces of the ugly overall picture, but none of them putting the pieces together into the obvious larger framework.

The fact that so many who work in the operational structure of this vast tragic farce, can pretend to not see the basic outlines of what is happening - (without their heads exploding like in a Tom Tomorrow cartoon) - shows the human capacity for compartmentalization, for "not seeing" holistic reality.

I guess the US Fourth Reich should hit Guernica again just like the Third Reich did in the Spanish civil war, but they could blow it clear off the map this time with with their enormous firepower.
* I don't think Guernica is the poster child anymore for barbaric bombing and strafing. Especially after what the IDF has done to Gaza and the Fourth Reich did to Fallujah.
* The Reich has elevated terror bombing and terrorism to a new low with its wanton destruction of infrastructure and habitat, not only in the Middle East, but around the world; wherever a black op can generate protest or defense, which can be called "terrorism" and the dogs of war unleashed in full cry.
* When I was a kid during WW-II, we thought the Nazis were the epitome of evil. In actuality, they were rank amateurs compared with their namesake of today.
;-})