Home | About | Donate

'We Do Not Need a Militia of Toddlers': Iowa Advances All-Ages Gun Bill

'We Do Not Need a Militia of Toddlers': Iowa Advances All-Ages Gun Bill

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

A bill allowing children of all ages to handle real guns passed the Iowa House of Representatives on Tuesday and is on the way to the state Senate, where lawmakers will consider making it legal for minors under 14 to have "a pistol, revolver or the ammunition" under parental supervision.

Now the children will be free of Tyranny!!

Iowa's Great Pumpkin is a real threat. The kids can shoot in the Jack'O Lanterns' faces just like ma and pa. They can teethe on the holsters, too. I don't see any problems with this. --Wayne LaPierre

Sounds weirder than it is. Handguns for children under 16 is a no-no here, though. It won't pass, as proposed, in the Iowa Senate unless the Dems have lost their collective minds. Who knows.....maybe it will. The Midwest has gone all " libertarian " on some things, lately.

We have all sorts of problems in this Country and the World and our elected officials are worried about this kind of crap.

As long as the parents or guardian of the child is at least 18 years old and is legally responsible for the actions of the minor, what is the problem? Among several possible advantages, training children who are sufficiently mature to use firearms would likely prevent horrible incidents where ten or twelve year olds with not training in the use of firearms do great damage because they consider the weapons to be toys and injure or kill innocent bystanders, often their siblings.

Oh, shit! How much more obscene is this country going to get before it implodes?

Forget when a fetus can feel pain

When can it inflict it?

As a gun deer hunter, when I began hunting in Michigan under my dad's supervision, I was the minimum age of 14. Thanks to the minimal quantity of Michigan Republican legislator's intelligence, the law was changed in late 2011 to allow 10 year old children to hunt deer, bear, and elk with high power center fire rifles. Although I had experience with 22 rifles, thanks to Boy Scout summer camp and the opportunity to spend a few hours being trained and doing target practice; enough to obtain a merit badge, I don't think I was all that experienced to start hunting with a gun at that age.

Does anyone promoting this legislation think that easier handgun access by children is going to create safer streets, neighborhoods, and schools? Look at what happened in Colorado at Columbine for one example. Maybe look at Africa where little kids with guns are part of the warring factions.

This is about using children, who should be nowhere near weapons of any kind-being used as a marketing tool for the insatiable NRA. This is about the utterly contemptible power of money to corrupt. Btw-14 is too young to be handling guns regarding hunting, etc., let alone ten years of age. Why are some children taught to kill animals, and that it is somehow acceptable behavior? Children need to learn that guns are for killing, and no other purpose.

Remember, people: nothing that happens in the USA makes any sense whatever until you look at race. This initiative is all about the notion that white kids need to be able to defend themselves from black kids who - of course - already have handguns.

Iowa, be careful what you wish for because you may just get it. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) [2] and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000),[3] 21,175 by suicide with a firearm,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm,[4] and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent"[5] for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms. Throwing handgun-armed children into this mix is like throwing gasoline on a fire. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Meanwhile, here in WA, when we buy pot in stores we have to take a card saying because children look up to adults we shouldn't smoke or display it in front of them. What a fucked country.

So how in the hell can you effectively supervise a child with a handgun when you can't demonstrate a public policy and record of safe gun ownership yourself? It's a puzzlement. Iowans, please come to your senses before it's too late.

Twisted logic, there, D.M.

Yes! Training children in gun safety never fails! All the school shootings over the past twenty years never really happened, - they were probably photo-shopped by the anti-gun nuts.

Back to reality...

In 1977, while we were living close to the Minnesota/Iowa border, my dogs were shot by two teenagers for fun. They would entice dogs with raw meat from a car and when close enough, they shot them in the head. Six dogs died; my boy Jacob was the only one who survived, with one eye.

In court, the parents of the shooters argued that the kids had been taught gun safety.

A significant portion of you is in that effing Demographic.

O M G, seriously what could possibly go wrong? I hate to think of the many ways of how...
The lunacy of this is beyond staggering.

I wasn't sure I believed in "evil" per se until I found out about the gun industry/lobby.

They are Evil Incarnate.

"visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person"

It's impossible to watch someone or something constantly and, at the same time, to miss nothing.

To really closely watch one kid with a firearm would take at least two adults, maybe three, who are sober, awake, and highly focused, and who don't look at their cell phone, (AS IF!) don't blink, and don't look away from the kid even for a moment.

Even so, it's possible the kid could shoot them or himself (herself) while one parent has to involuntarily blink for a fraction of a second.