Home | About | Donate

'We Don't Know a Planet Like This': CO2 Levels Hit 415 PPM for First Time in 3 Million+ Years

'We Don't Know a Planet Like This': CO2 Levels Hit 415 PPM for First Time in 3 Million+ Years

Jon Queally, staff writer

Atmospheric levels of carbon registered 415 parts per million over the weekend at one of the world's key measuring stations, a concentration level researchers say has not existed in more than 3 million years – before the dawn of human history.

Taken at the Mauno Loa Observatory in Hawaii by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, the measure continues the upward trend of atmospheric carbon concentration that lies at the heart of the global warming and climate crisis:

3 Likes

My morality was always steeped in how I treated others now and in the future–all life forms included. Yes, of course there are tradeoffs in any ecosystem–but the system is what is sacred. Boy, was I a sucker.

2 Likes

Why is this not breaking news? Simple: Corporate media serves corporate interests. And - does it need to be stated? - corporate interests are antithetical to the interests of humanity.

15 Likes

this is just nuts. i think it’s just too hard for people to process just how irrational our rulers really are. and how shortsighted they are.

but given that we can’t even block a lane of traffic without getting chewed out by half the liberal punditry class, we’re light years from being able to stop this. We’ve just become too risk averse.

5 Likes

Trumps probably happy about this, the extra CO2 will make his golf courses greener. Meanwhile, Pompous ass is headed up to the Arctic to prospect for oil, gas, and gold. Other rich folks are buying up property a few miles back from the coastlines. That’s how our so called leaders will handle this crisis.

2 Likes

What’s the point of putting these articles up every day? If people cared enough to do something about this, it would have begun already. This is falling on deaf ears. We have these so called Climate Activist Groups that can’t organize anything meaningful and the majority people don’t won’t rise up on anything. So the Extinction Event will happen whenever.

5 Likes

There people, including those elected to office down in the USA , that believe man co-existed with Dinosaurs.Others believe the Earth was created in 4000 BC so there could not have been “3 Million years ago”. Others feel that The Baby Jesus will come down and save everyone so why worry.

Then there that common human trait of only being able to look a few years down the road. This leads to all manner of risky behaviour such as diet , sports engaged in such as those atheletes hitting their 40s and dealing with the after effects of concussions and blown out knees or the overweight person now having to deal with a failed heart , or those that never saw themselves retiring or envisioned themselves at 80 when they were in their 20’s.

It pretty hard to gain enough critical mass to get this large swathe of people to think of these things that are going to happen 50 years down the road or even 20 for that matter. The way I try and motivate myself and others is to recognize the IMMEDIATE harm such as all of the animals going extinct or the forests being destroyed for the sake of tarsands.

I can talk to relatives in Alberta who will simply stare at me blankly when I speak of warming and the effects 50 years from now , but as soon as I show them pictures of the devastation of our forests or point out that animal species (such as woodland Caribou) near extinction they begin to wake up. That said even that will not sway those Religious nuts I exampled in my first paragraph.

13 Likes

Thus has humanity committed suicide. It’s over. There’s little more of consequence to say.

5 Likes

“Living is Easy with Eyes Closed.”
― John Lennon

9 Likes

Exactly! The analogy I would use is that your house is on fire and you say it is only a small, fire and no emergency, nothing to worry about, no sense in calling the fire department.

3 Likes

Well, first of all, it’s not the hoola-hoop, and hasn’t otherwise become a national craze.
And we don’t know if the gov. or the energy guru’s are 20 years ahead of us once again and know something we don’t.
Why can’t we force gov. and energy to release captured inventions that save fuel and other energy?
Plant more trees. Raise bigger fines. Cancel camp fires in parks, and encourage the same for back yards.
Drive less by consolidating trips to the store and other errands. Then we have standing to demand corporate changes as well.
Give more bonuses to new construction that chooses renewable energy to heat and cool.
We are so dense as a country that we will fry or drown or be overthrown by a bully gov. before we rise up.

1 Like

“‘We Don’t Know a Planet Like This’: CO2 Levels Hit 415 PPM for First Time in 3 Million+ Years”

Well gawwwwly! That’s, like, a record!

2 Likes

I have TWO mantras to suggest for the right wing, anti-science fools who support Donald Trump and deny global warming :

1. Donald Trump is a moral, honest, godly President.
  2. I am a conservative, so if I hit my head with a hammer, it will not hurt.
2 Likes

Plant Hemp on a those golf courses ,gives us pure oxygen while taking in 4 x the co2 as the same area of trees .
It’s a no brainer .

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much. The stock market is up, profits are up and the government is about to start two more wars. It’s all good.

7 Likes

50 years passes in the blink of an eye.

2 Likes

Massive plantings hemp and bamboo and other fast growing plants. Absolutely a no brainer.

2 Likes

To underscore how cavalier people are about this, check out this tidbit from today’s Realtor.com:

“Today, there are 5,056 homes for sale in Miami Beach at a median listing price of $518,700.”

4 Likes

So “…3 million years”! It’s a “hockey season”…

We Have Never Known Mother Earth

In Facing Gaia: Eight Lectures on the New Climate Regime, Bruno Latour aims to reintroduce us to our own planet. The Earth emerges as a bizarre and unfamiliar presence, dimly glimpsed but exerting a colossal and uncertain pressure on all our actions. Though its unpredictable effects promise no meaning or redemption, this alien power forces our attention to the immediacy of terrestrial life.

Latour’s work has set the pace for science and technology studies since his ethnographies of laboratories in the 1980s and 90s; since We Have Never Been Modern , he has upended received wisdom about the bond between science and progress, challenged academic habits of critique, and inspired radical approaches to objects and ontologies across the social sciences and humanities. The concern for ecology that runs throughout these works takes center stage in these much-awaited lectures, pushed forward by what Isabelle Stengers calls the “intrusion of Gaia”—the catastrophic fits of an Earth whose tolerance has been exceeded.1

Human-caused climate change reawakens an apocalyptic sensibility, altering everything we do, think, and feel, whether we acknowledge it or not. “We have become the people who could have acted thirty or forty years ago – and did nothing, or far too little.” Political cataclysms are as much part of this “new climate regime” as hurricanes and wildfires: after the US election, Latour described the “innovation” of Donald Trump as “a mad dash for maximum profit while abandoning the rest of the world to its fate.” Trump would be the first truly ecologically-oriented president, through pure negativity: “For the first time, climate change denial is determining all political decisions.”2

What would it take to shake us out of our denial, delusional hope, or numb passivity—all these ways in which “ecology is making us crazy”? We need new senses and new tools for thought, Latour contends. Not just more carefully verified observations and arguments, but “plays, exhibitions, art forms, poetry, and maybe also rituals” that can sensitize us to the feedback loops between our smallest actions and their consequences near and far.3 “Gaia” is one such conceptual experiment

1 Like