Home | About | Donate

'We Have Not Come Here to Beg World Leaders to Care,' 15-Year-old Climate Activist Declares. 'We Have Come Here to Let Them Know Change Is Coming'

'We Have Not Come Here to Beg World Leaders to Care,' 15-Year-old Climate Activist Declares. 'We Have Come Here to Let Them Know Change Is Coming'

Jon Queally, staff writer

Striking her mark at the COP24 climate talks taking place this week and next in Poland, fifteen-year-old Greta Thunberg of Sweden issued a stearn rebuke on behalf of the world's youth climate movement to the adult diplomats, executives, and elected leaders gathered by telling them she was not there asking for help or demanding they comply with demands but to let them know that new political realities and a renewable energy transformation are coming whether they like it or not.

9 Likes

Good for her!

May it be so.

18 Likes

Greta saves the world! Our newest superhero!

17 Likes

World leaders or any corrupt Govt official or any CEO don’t like being threatened. They are afraid. They are Cowards. Good job!

18 Likes

This little girl is 50X smarter than any Republican or conservative in modern history, and 99% of the democrats. When civilizations collapse, and collapse they will - the so called elite are going to have a particularly tough time of it. Every one will know who they are, borders and property will be meaningless, and they will be the target of 8 billion peoples anger.

8 Likes

From the mouths of babes…“and a child shall lead them”…we sorely need their intuitive wisdom and un-corrupted idealism and leadership, as so many of earlier generations have succumbed to greed, self-interest, tribal politics, and corruption…." change is coming whether they like it or not.”

The quote from this piece…“we are facing an existential threat and there’s time to continue down this road of madness.” - am I missing something, or should that read - there’s NO time to continue down this road of madness?

10 Likes

You are right about the missing “no”. I’ve sent an email to the Editor on this, but it hasn’t yet been corrected. You can listen to the video to verify the actual statement.

11 Likes

It has finally come to this. We can no longer play nice because, they will take advantage of those that are so inclined. Time to demand a better world run on a level playing field with the same rules for everyone. No more “money buys death and destruction.” The rules will be changed.
Or as the title of a recent Bob Dylan song states “Things have changed.”

7 Likes

Sooooo damn true… Greta!

16 Likes

Can she back up her statements? I don’t see how. But she is really amazing for a 15-year-old. The reality is that it can’t be done without governments. Doesn’t look good.

You’re completely tone deaf, I guess.

15 Likes

Every one of those world leaders is addicted to oil money, so she’s right. They will do nothing. It’s up to the young people. No, actually all of us.

11 Likes

So I did, Tom! So I did.
;-})

1 Like

I believe this has been corrected.

Wow GRETA! And she is right. She and those who will inherit the Earth want something left to inherit. It’s lovely for Greta to remind the grown -ups that they are acting like children, because they are. : )

3 Likes

Lrx, what is the matter with you? These kids taking initiative and responsibility have done their homework and consulted with their guides or advisors. The best news? They’re spreading this activism to several countries. They’ve got more guts than way too many complacent couch potatoes and more integrity than most corporate “leaders.” You should be applauding all of them and not raining on their parade.

10 Likes

Hello Greta.

We’ve been expecting you.

5 Likes

Now, if we can get a young French Green Jacket to join Greta, we can get this ball rolling even further in a direction that will give the next generation hope, leadership, and a sense of empowerment and direction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Greta! You are a heart-touchng inspiration to millions of us!

I feel so impressed by your intelligence, knowledge, articulateness, confidence, and courage – and many other glorious qualities – at your tender age of 15!

All of us who support your cause – of saving life on Earth! – will support you and your comrades for as long as it takes to defeat the corrupt sell-outs and capitalists – and we will save life on Earth!

Three cheers of thanks and admiration to you!!!

3 Likes

READ ABOUT GRETA THUNBERG IN THIS RECENT ESSAY IN THE NEW YORKER MAGAZINE!