Home | About | Donate

'We Have Roughly 12 Years': Progressives Demand Urgency as Centrist Dems Push Bipartisan Incrementalism

'We Have Roughly 12 Years': Progressives Demand Urgency as Centrist Dems Push Bipartisan Incrementalism

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

Centrist House Democrats continue to argue for incrementalism and bipartisan solutions to address the climate crisis—even as progressives are doubling down on their demand for urgent and visionary action.

1 Like

We will be darn lucky to make it to 2020 according to Arctic News-Blog.

4 Likes

Incrementalism is trying to make politicians say that the climate crisis is urgent when their legal bribes depend on their not saying that.

Direct (liquid) Democracy

4 Likes

Almost all progress in changing from a fossil fuel based economy and life styles is going to be incremental, but we want it faster than slower. As to working with republicans, sorry, but they have not had their come to Jesus moment yet. And may never have one.
The complete rejection of working together with the Obama Administration continues yet today. The olive branch of democrats has been extended long enough. Time to fight fire with fire. Sadly that translates heavily to, who has the most money to spend on trashing the other guy. It may result in, who has the biggest and badest protests.

3 Likes

12 years is the “conservative” scientist’s estimate, the same ones that kept insisting we had about a hundred years left a decade or so ago. Basically it is flat earth level of “science” that ignores a variety of factors.
The “radical” scientists, who have correctly predicted everything happening so far, say we may have as little as 7-35 months left until the permafrost in Siberia cracks completely and releases enough methane to kill us all. Otherwise the consensus is that we have between 3 - 5 years to stop all pollution, not just fossil fuel extraction.
Our survival also requires us to begin planting billions of trees world wide.

2 Likes

Here’s one. Industrial capitalism will collapse from non-action(incrementalism) as actors drag their heels on REAL items to immediately address the global poisoning/warming catastrophe we are experiencing. The 6th Mass Extinction Event is well underway. Monarch butterflies are almost decimated. Bees if poisoning continues by Monsanto, et al will reduce crop yields by 90% or more resulting in mass starvation. (From crops that rely on bees to bear fruit.) No one in power is taking this seriously. How much money can they(CEO’s) count while holding their breath while submersed in toxic soup from their corporation’s continual pumping out toxins and CO2 pollution? IT IS here and now folks!!

2 Likes

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/government-warns-of-historic-widespread-flooding-through-may-food-prices-to-skyrocket-as-1000s-of-farms-are-destroyed/

Epic flooding on three separate Continents all described as unprecedented. The 12 years is up.

2 Likes

The IPCC is NOT to be trusted! Their contention that we have 12 years is NONSENSE! It’s likely that “runaway” will begin next year, or shortly afterward; and because warming will accelerate, and be impossible to halt, our species will join the many OTHER species now going extinct!

If we would use forager societies of the distant past as our models, and start doing so YESTERDAY, we MIGHT be able to avoid extinction! Given that I don’t foresee that, I see NO REASON WHATSOEVER to have optimism regarding the human future!

What the fossil fuel industry has been doing is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY! Unfortunately, by the time that is widely recognized, our species will be well on the way to extinction, and there will be no one to PROSECUTE the SOBs!!

We also need programs to advise the less than rich how best to survive heat, cold, and storms. Maybe we should stop building straw houses.

1 Like

12 years or two years –

“We have to be on the right side of this …” Robby Robinson/Boston Globe SPOTLIGHT

If everyone truly understood Global Warming we would all be pulling our gasoline
driven autos to the side of the road and working on having mechanics re-engineer
them as Electric cars.

Here in NJ – though still dallying – our legislature is getting ready to approve marijuana
which should also free up HEMP and the many products it can deliver. And growing HEMP
helps the Ozone layer and the environment. Chopping down trees for newspaper?
Paper towels?

In our community here in NJ we also have something quite frightening going on with PSE&G
seeking to build new electric GRIDS 65 feet high and 3X as charged.
More info on this, but too late tonight to add it.

For just one question, why wasn’t all of this stuff originally put under ground?

1 Like

Hi,
Great news about Hemp …you can run cars on this amazing plant .It can substitute for so many nonrewneable resources .Giving humanity a lifeline at this our most critical time .
All the paper you ever could need,clothing,food,plastic,building materials.
The list goes on …50 000 products and counting.
Takes in 4 x the co2 as the same area of trees .
A positive oxygen contributor.

3 Likes

exactly…no need to yell…live the life of excellence because only love remains…

1 Like

Lumberjacks must make a living as do logging truck drivers. And of course the companies CEO’s. Telephone poles galore.

We had a normal winter up here in the “frozen tundra.” Some snow, ice, cold, and wind.

I can’t wait to see if we indeed have a scorching summer, and a devastating hurricane season.

1 Like

George Carlin, “Be excellent to each other.”

2 Likes

I’m always skeptical of that site. Not out of any denileism mind you but frankly because if they are right, we are fucked no matter what. Might as well believe in the IPCC’s report that gives at least a faint glimmer of hope. But either way I do agree with the adage to live our lives to the fullest, live every day as it was your last, etc etc.

The nordic nations had their shortest winter ever with a little over 1 month worth of snow in most of Norway and Sweeden.
I know this because i was planning to enjoy the start of my retirement skiing in Norway, but the ski resort in Drammen had already closed down when i had intended to go.
This is a resort that used to be open 4-5 months a few years ago, now it was barely 1 month and apparently it did not even have full snow coverage during much of that time.

1 Like

Remember the rich believe in their “divine” right to be rich. They are sicker than sick. It is why they feel they “deserve” the tax breaks.